PDA

View Full Version : Slower transfer speed on a Mac?

Simplistic
Dec 26, 2005, 02:39 AM
Former Windows iTunes/iPod user here. I've noticed from the first day I got my iBook that the speed of transfer from computer to iPod is rather slower on my Mac than on my Windows PC. Like, a lot slower. I have USB 2.0, so that's not the problem. A movie takes so long to transfer whereas on Windows it took a few minutes. Is this normal? Shouldn't it be faster than Windows since both products are Apple?

mad jew
Dec 26, 2005, 02:46 AM
It should be at least the same speed. Do you find the USB port slow for other transactions (non-iPod)? Have you tried a different port? :)

Simplistic
Dec 26, 2005, 03:07 AM
Nothing seems to be wrong with the USB ports. The only other thing I used them for is this USB Xbox controller thing, but that works well. I don't know why it's so slow. It's bearable, just irritating how it used to be fast on Windows.

Danksi
Dec 26, 2005, 03:46 AM
I've read a number of times that the USB ports on Mac aren't as fast as PC implementations - as if they're crippled in some way. :confused:

Firewire is generally regarded as being the fastest method for Macs - my next ext. drive enclosure will have both USB2/Firewire so I'll have to see for myself.

I'd prefer a network drive enclosure, but xfer rates seem to be very slow unfortunately, effecting streaming/sharing.

Simplistic
Dec 26, 2005, 03:52 AM
I read something about Apple not using Firewire anymore with iPods. Does this mean I can't use Firewire with my 5G iPod?

Chundles
Dec 26, 2005, 04:55 AM
I read something about Apple not using Firewire anymore with iPods. Does this mean I can't use Firewire with my 5G iPod?

Only to charge it, there is absolutely no way to transfer data to it using Firewire.

And yes, it has been noted in some of the more detailed iPod reviews that the Windows/PC implementation of USB 2.0 is faster/more complete than the Mac implementation. It's not that Apple has crippled it, the Mac just doesn't deal with it as well. It works fine, just a bit slower. With the Intel switch it will likely be better.