PDA

View Full Version : Help a newbie...my iPod wont turn off!

Snoopin
Dec 26, 2005, 02:44 AM
I did a search & see that this has happened to others. I tried the suggestions made in earlier threads (resetting, toggling the hold switch, reconnecting, disconnecting, going into a song & back to the main menu, etc.). I have been trying for over an hour & was wondering if anyone else had ANY other suggestions? :(

Thanks

By the way...I have a 20GB photo iPod if that makes a difference.

BWhaler
Dec 26, 2005, 03:42 AM
I did a search & see that this has happened to others. I tried the suggestions made in earlier threads (resetting, toggling the hold switch, reconnecting, disconnecting, going into a song & back to the main menu, etc.). I have been trying for over an hour & was wondering if anyone else had ANY other suggestions? :(

Thanks

By the way...I have a 20GB photo iPod if that makes a difference.

Not trying to be insulting, but you did say you were new. did you try holding down the play button until the iPod turns off?

Snoopin
Dec 26, 2005, 06:23 PM
LOL - sorry, I'm new to these forums, but not new to iPod. Yes, I did try to hold the play button down - which of course usually works. I just set it in the dock station & left it. It still won't turn off, but now it's skipping a lot during songs. It never did that before either. :mad:

puckhead193
Dec 26, 2005, 06:30 PM
will turn off automatically if their is no song playing :confused:

katie ta achoo
Dec 26, 2005, 06:32 PM
Maybe reset it to factory settings? A symptom of old iPod software can be skipping music and stuff like that.

Snoopin
Dec 26, 2005, 06:33 PM
Nope...won't turn off at all. Someone suggested that I put it on pause in the middle of a song & it would eventually turn off...but that didn't work either.

The skipping part is my newest issue. I'm thinking I might need to send it back & get a new one....hope they take it back (its a few months old). ugh!

Snoopin
Dec 26, 2005, 06:36 PM
Maybe reset it to factory settings? A symptom of old iPod software can be skipping music and stuff like that.

I just did that too in hopes of helping both issues...no luck. I'm seriously about to throw the thing out the window! :rolleyes:

Thanks for everyones suggestions...this is so frustrating.

mad jew
Dec 26, 2005, 06:40 PM
The two reasons I can think of that the music may be skipping is if the actual music in iTunes was imported badly and skips (you'd probably have noticed by now, it'd have been skipping all along) or more likely, the hard drive is failing. Is the iPod getting very hot? Does it make a clicking noise when you try to use it (you may have to hold it up to your head)?

If you have a Mac, you can use Disk Utility in the Utilities folder to verify the disk, and repair if necessary. Other than that, it may just need to be replaced. :o

Snoopin
Dec 26, 2005, 06:49 PM
The two reasons I can think of that the music may be skipping is if the actual music in iTunes was imported badly and skips (you'd probably have noticed by now, it'd have been skipping all along) or more likely, the hard drive is failing. Is the iPod getting very hot? Does it make a clicking noise when you try to use it (you may have to hold it up to your head)?

If you have a Mac, you can use Disk Utility in the Utilities folder to verify the disk, and repair if necessary. Other than that, it may just need to be replaced. :o

All the songs play perfectly on itunes...and they all played fine (no skipping) until today...so maybe the hard drive is failing. I do NOT have a Mac, so I guess I will have to replace it. It's pretty new though - I wonder if they'll let me exchange it?!?!?

mad jew
Dec 26, 2005, 06:54 PM
If it's under a year old you should still have the standard AppleCare deal whereby they'll replace it with a refurbished model for you (effectively new). Is it getting really hot when you try to use it?

Snoopin
Dec 26, 2005, 07:00 PM
If it's under a year old you should still have the standard AppleCare deal whereby they'll replace it with a refurbished model for you (effectively new). Is it getting really hot when you try to use it?

No - I just picked it up - it's not hot at all. It's only a few months old, so I guess Apple's warranty will cover it. Thanks everyone for your help - I guess I just got a dud. :)

mad jew
Dec 26, 2005, 07:02 PM
Yeah, it's a shame. Hopefully Apple will be good about replacing it though.

FWIW, I really don't like the idea of these portable hard drives in iPods. They break so easily, especially if you do anything resembling sport. :(

Snoopin
Dec 26, 2005, 07:08 PM
OK - now you'll think I'm nuts. Since it started skipping, I took it out of the dock station/stereo a few times to mess around w/it before trying again and that never helped it. Well I just did that again only this time, I was so mad I cussed it out & now it works fine! LOL I think I scared it! :o

mad jew
Dec 26, 2005, 07:12 PM
Yeah, it's probably horrified right now and it'll keep working forever...

...Or it could be that it's cooled down. When my hard drive failed in my iPod, it got much better when it was cool. I'd leave it overnight and it'd be fine in the morning for the first half an hour but it'd eventually play up. I ended up having to sync it with an ice pack wrapped around it until it completely died on me. :o

Hopefully you're right though, and it's scared. :D

Snoopin
Dec 26, 2005, 07:18 PM
LOL - of course I was just joking about it being scared. It's been running for the last couple hours, so I'm not sure how it cooled down. I'm sure me messing w/it triggered something - who knows. It's very strange.

One thing I noticed this time around is when it's playing a song, the play bar is stuck in the middle and it doesn't tell you how much time is left in the song like it used to??

mad jew
Dec 26, 2005, 07:22 PM
I'd take it in to Apple. It should be working 100% perfectly. Of course, if it's working 83% properly, then there's no absolute hurry to get there, but take it in all the same IMO. :)

Snoopin
Dec 26, 2005, 07:30 PM
I'd take it in to Apple. It should be working 100% perfectly. Of course, if it's working 83% properly, then there's no absolute hurry to get there, but take it in all the same IMO. :)

Agreed...thank you! :)