Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wigent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2014
just got an Apple TV. all the home theater HDMI inputs are taken on my a/v receiver. I have component inputs and optical audio available on my receiver plus HDMI inputs on my Sony tv. Suggestions for setting it up? use component cables, HDMI to TV and Optical to receiver or get an HDMI splitter?

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
just got an Apple TV. all the home theater HDMI inputs are taken on my a/v receiver. I have component inputs and optical audio available on my receiver plus HDMI inputs on my Sony tv. Suggestions for setting it up? use component cables, HDMI to TV and Optical to receiver or get an HDMI splitter?

Get an HDMI switch. They are cheap and work very well. I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015YWKYY/ . The input can be selected by an IR remote control. I programmed my Harmony remote to select the right input when it performs the "Play Apple TV" activity. Otherwise, you can just use the remote they provide.

Another option is to see if you can free up an HDMI input by connecting one of your other devices via Component + optical instead of HDMI.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Why not just connect :apple:TV to your Bravia? It already has the HDMI switch built in.
It will pass the audio through to receiver. Either via HDMI ARC or optical.
If you already get tv sound via AVR, then you're set. Switch AVR to TV input and let the Bravia select the source (HDMI in that has :apple:TV connected).

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
New Apple TV, out of HDMI inputs on my a/v receiver

AppleTV HDMI to TV
AppleTV optical to receiver

Set audio in settings to optical.

This is how I have my setup just because it was easier to hook up at the time and haven't bothered to change it. Works so well it's at the bottom of my todo list. :)

Plus I have different video settings per input. Movies, games, etc so it's convenient don't know if there is another way of doing this.

westrock2000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
I bought this one at Fry's for $35.

http://www.frys.com/product/7037791?source=googleps&gclid=CJCltsCQ5rsCFeHm7AoduC0Auw

It has an auto switch feature so that whenever one of the ports is turned on, it switches to that port automatically. Then when that device turns off, it will switch back to whatever is on.

Has worked great for me and saved me from buying a new receiver. It comes with a remote, but I have never used it. I did have to put a piece of electrical tape over the LED on the unit because it was damn bright.

Also, remember that your already using 1 port, so like that switch is 3x1, but I was already using 1 device to begin with, so I can only add 2 more devices before all 3 are filled up.

Also make sure you are looking at SWITCHES and not SPLITTERS. A switch takes several inputs and reroutes them to 1 output. A splitter takes 1 input and "splits" it to several outputs.

westrock2000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
But why buy, if the OP's Sony Bravia TV already has this thing built in?
Granted, that built-in one does provide auto-switching only for devices that support CEC, which Apple TV doesn't seem to be.

If your feeding it into a receiver, it beats having to mess with switching inputs on various devices. The HDMI switchers are really convenient for that. Mine switch between 2 Blu-ray changes and a PS3, and it's seamless.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
If your feeding it into a receiver, it beats having to mess with switching inputs on various devices.
Well, if you open your TV anyway and intend to play audio back via AVR (using eg. HDMI ARC), then you would have swithced the AVR anyway. I even assume modern AVRs with CEC do this automatically as soon as you turn your TV on. Or turn your TV on as soon as you select TV input on AVR.

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
If you still have an open optical audio port on your receiver and an open HDMI port on your TV, then just use those. Otherwise buy an HDMI switch. I'd recommend a powered one with a remote.

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
If you still have an open optical audio port on your receiver and an open HDMI port on your TV, then just use those. Otherwise buy an HDMI switch. I'd recommend a powered one with a remote.

The problem with using the optical output of the TV is that it may not pass a 5.1 surround signal back to the audio receiver. I think the situation may have improved recently, but when I last looked into this a few years ago, all the TV's I checked squashed the audio signal down to stereo PCM before sending it out the optical port. I know that's the case for my Samsung LN52A650.

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
The problem with using the optical output of the TV is that it may not pass a 5.1 surround signal back to the audio receiver. I think the situation may have improved recently, but when I last looked into this a few years ago, all the TV's I checked squashed the audio signal down to stereo PCM before sending it out the optical port. I know that's the case for my Samsung LN52A650.

Yeah, my TV does the same thing, which is why I suggested using the optical audio output from the Apple TV directly to the receiver. I may have been unclear.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Sony Bravia, at least from 2010 onwards, will pass DD 5.1. Maybe recent models have added DTS too, my 2010 model does pass only DD.
Provided OP's A/V receiver supports ARC, I'd connect as follows:
Bravia --> AVR : HDMI (ARC)
aTV. --> Bravia : HDMI

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.