Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbqyoung

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
How do I keep both aTV and Roku coexisting on the same wireless network?

I have an Apple TV and added the Roku 3 to my second TV on my D-Link wireless network.
The wireless connection drops on the Apple TV every few minutes and requires a reboot of my wireless router, unless I remove the Roku3 from the network by unplugging it.

I thought it was my Netflix account fighting to be on both aTV and Roku, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Any suggestions?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
By removing the Roku do you mean it's power source so it's off or Ethernet wire?

bbqyoung

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
continued.... Roku vs. aTV with netflix dropping wifi connection

Yes, I had removed the Roku, by unplugging the A/C cord. Also I had a BD Samsung on the WIFI, which I also unplugged, to just see if aTV worked, and it did.
Since then, today, I reconnected the Roku, and ran music over the aTV and internet news on the Roku, and reconnected the BD, but turned off the Wifi....all working well so far.
Next step, to try running Netflix on the aTV and see if it drops the entire Wifi (which was the initiating problem yesterday). To remedy it, I had to reboot the Wifi router yesterday, and it would run the aTV Netflix for a few minutes then drop the entire wifi (which had to reboot the wifi server).

Currently, Roku (news), aTV (music), and BD (disconnected the wifi) are all working as expected.

Should I try the netflix and see if it blows the wifi links?

(also might be that i'm using the same Netflix account on the devices plus one more in my other house. Can I view >1 show on netflix at a time using one netflix account? If I do try to run >1 show, would that drop my entire wifi connections? seems unlikely)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'd try whatever you can to make if fail again. Running netflix on +1 device is fine and as a test I'm doing it right now on my iPhone, iPad, ATV, and android tablet. Surprisingly all are running ok but I got a very good ISP.

bbqyoung

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014

I'll try the netflix on several at the same time tomorrow...everyone sleeping now. I thought from one netflix account, you can only view one at a time? What is to stop you from sharing your netflix account with your brothers/sisters and friends? (just wondering)
Thanks for assisting....I appreciate it ;)

bbqyoung

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014

d-link model: dir-628. Yes, wired preferred, but too far away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.