Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eternalhack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2013
Recent convert from Windows and from what I found Safari has no clear history shortcut so I had to add my own. I was hoping to add Cmd+Shift+Delete as the shortcut but apparently you can't do that as "System Preferences" just silently ignores that when you try to add that combination. As a result I added Cmd+Shift+D as the shortcut to clear history. The problem is sometimes it will work and other times it will do an "add to reading list" instead for some reason. I just want to be able to clear my history and cookies with a keyboard shortcut which firefox does with Cmd+Shift+Delete so any help would be appreciated.

AppleFan22

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2014
I've got something!

Hey there! I've recently come from Windows too, but use Chrome as opposed to Safari. But this should be okay for you.

Open Safari and press Command+, This will open the Safari Preferences window. Click on Privacy, and then Remove All Website Data.

Hope this has helped you :)

eternalhack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2013
Hey there! I've recently come from Windows too, but use Chrome as opposed to Safari. But this should be okay for you.

Open Safari and press Command+, This will open the Safari Preferences window. Click on Privacy, and then Remove All Website Data.

Hope this has helped you :)

Thanks, I guess that will work. Still weird why my custom shortcut behaves strangely. I would use Chrome or Firefox but unfortunately I found, and others confirmed, that Safari is the most power efficient browser.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.