Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arrfenwoof

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2013
Augusta, Maine, USA
Right, so to start off, i have a Early-2011 MacBook Pro Core i5 with a broken LVDS connector on the logic board. I'm using a mini-display-to-vga adapter to use my Macbook Pro. When loading the Windows 7 USB it freezes at the "Starting Windows" logo, when booting from the USB in Safe Mode it shows it hangs at disk.sys. Windows 8 and 8.1 both have the same issue, which is, it copies the files, expands them, reboots, shows the Windows 8 logo, shows "Getting Devices Ready" and then goes to a black screen around 85%. After a couple minutes the computer reboots and shows the Windows 8 logo yet again and then goes to a black screen, no matter how long I wait, nothing happens.

I was able to boot into safe mode after the Windows 8 installation was "complete" and install the video drivers, sound, ethernet, wifi, bluetooth, etc… Thinking that was the issue for the black screen, but after doing that and rebooting… I still get dropped to a black screen where nothing happens. If anyone has any ideas, PLEASE let me know. I'm desperate as I have a lot of apps and games that I would like to run in Windows that either aren't made for the Mac or don't run properly in a VM/Crossover/Wineskin.

Thanks so much!

arrfenwoof

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2013
Augusta, Maine, USA
Created a raw vmdk thats attached to a physical partition and installed Windows 7. When I try to natively boot into the partition, it goes straight to a black screen with no logo though. Kinda strange. Really unsure of how to proceed. I'd like to try to install a UEFI Windows 7 but can't figure that out.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Only 2013 MacBook Air and some Pro models support Windows installations properly via EFI.

arrfenwoof

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2013
Augusta, Maine, USA
if I try to boot from a Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 DVD in normal "bios mode?" I get an immediate black screen and it never displays an image. UEFI booting with one of those versions at least gives me a boot logo in Win7 and allows me to install in 8 and 8.1 I'm really at a loss of what the issue is here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.