Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

proloser2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2013
Hi all, I have a quick question. Sorry if its been asked before, but, how is ios7 running nowadays on ipad 4's? I really want to update but I've seen so many complaints about jumpy animations and sluggish performance that I don't know if I should update yet.

So in all my question is: have the bugs and problems been fixed yet? Does it perform just as well, if not better than ios 6 now?

I have an ipad 4 16gb.

Thanks ;)

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Hi all, I have a quick question. Sorry if its been asked before, but, how is ios7 running nowadays on ipad 4's? I really want to update but I've seen so many complaints about jumpy animations and sluggish performance that I don't know if I should update yet.

So in all my question is: have the bugs and problems been fixed yet? Does it perform just as well, if not better than ios 6 now?

I have an ipad 4 16gb.

Thanks ;)

Well, some people just hate iOS 7. They hate the look, and yell on their soap box about how buggy it is. I've personally never had any real bugs on it...

Anyway, there was never a performance issue on iOS 7 on the iPad 4 - only on the iPad 3 with the slower A5X chip. The iPad 4 was really 100% fine with iOS 7...

To actually answer your question though, iOS 7 hasn't had any speedups. That's coming in 7.1 - they're changing the animations to make them faster, and are reverting to "non-lazy" loading of content, that, at the expense of CPU usage - loads content faster. So yeah, if you don't like the way iOS 7 feels, I'd wait until 7.1...

proloser2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2013
Thanks. I quite like the look of ios7, so that's not a problem.

I haven't actually used ios7 more than once, so I don't really know how it 'feels'.

One last question I forgot to ask before: is the battery usage just as good as ios6? Do you still need to turn the parallax gimmick off to save battery power?

severage

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2013
iPad 4 ios 7.0.4 user here. It's great, though I do have reduced motion turned on, but thats jsut preference. 7.0.3 really fized a lot of issues, and 7.0.4 is MUCH smoother than plain 7. 7 was annoying - home screen sluggishness occasionally, ultra slow changing wallpapers, but 7.0.4 is much better. Battery is great, I routinely get around 14-15 hours of usage (though I keep brightness between 0-20% most of the time).

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Am running iOS 7.0.4 on my iPad 2 with its A5 chip. Smooth as butter and no noticeable change in battery performance. Still getting 10 hours per charge, and I use it at my office as well as at home. Am using the dynamic wallpaper on my home screen. Brightness at 50%.

proloser2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2013
Thanks a lot guys, I just updated.

IMO it doesn't feel as smooth as ios 6 but it's still very nice (and I can get those new games on the App Store :D)

Thanks again:cool:

balcis

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2012
Thanks a lot guys, I just updated.

IMO it doesn't feel as smooth as ios 6 but it's still very nice (and I can get those new games on the App Store :D)

Thanks again:cool:

Does app performance get effected? For example does real racing run with better/same performance or worse?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.