Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
I have a USB I made to install Win 7 on my rMBP. Will the support software that was downloaded when making a USB drive also work with say a Mac Mini or would I have to download new software for every Mac I install Windows on ?

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I’m not following you what software are you talking about here - is this software intended to run on the Mac? If so, then it should work on any supported Mac, but again, I can’t parse what you are talking about exactly.

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
I’m not following you what software are you talking about here - is this software intended to run on the Mac? If so, then it should work on any supported Mac, but again, I can’t parse what you are talking about exactly.

Whenever you create an installation USB with boot camp assistant, it downloads software for Windows drivers which can take quite a while. What I'm wondering is if it downloads software specific to the Mac you're running it from or if it's a standard suite of drivers designed for the range of hardware found in all Apple computers. Because trying to install Nvidia drivers for an ATI card would not go over very well.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
IIRC starting with 2013 machines, it is specific to that machine. Prior to this, it would d/l the full support package that you could also find at the Apple support site.

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
IIRC starting with 2013 machines, it is specific to that machine. Prior to this, it would d/l the full support package that you could also find at the Apple support site.

Good to know, but it sucks having to download and install drivers every time you're doing an install. It's not something I do often, but I've put Win 7 on two different Macs in the last week. It would be nice to have a thumb drive ready for that if I needed it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.