Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
So the WDTV doesn't play iTunes M4V files. Does anyone know if I have movies ripped with Handbrake to M4V format if they would play without any converting?

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Have you tried if renaming .m4v to .mp4 will fool WDTV to understand they are the regular MPEG-4 files?

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Have you tried if renaming .m4v to .mp4 will fool WDTV to understand they are the regular MPEG-4 files?

No, I was thinking that might work. But I was hoping to not even have to do that. I picked up the WDTV Live, but before I opened it I wanted to do a little more research to make sure it's what I'm looking for.

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
M4V files work fine with a current WDTV Live device. When I had the original one, I did need to rename .m4v files to .mp4.

I also just found out that the Mavericks OS seems to have fixed a file sharing problem which prevented the WDTV from being able to read shared folders on Macs running Lion and Mountain Lion.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
M4V files work fine with a current WDTV Live device. When I had the original one, I did need to rename .m4v files to .mp4.

I also just found out that the Mavericks OS seems to have fixed a file sharing problem which prevented the WDTV from being able to read shared folders on Macs running Lion and Mountain Lion.

Awesome, that's what I was really hoping for. Thanks

Another thing I just thought of, does it read from a Mac osx journaled hdd? Otherwise I think I'll have to use FAT, but some of my movies are over 4GB. I've never tried those apps that allow a Mac to write to NTSF.

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
Awesome, that's what I was really hoping for. Thanks

Another thing I just thought of, does it read from a Mac osx journaled hdd? Otherwise I think I'll have to use FAT, but some of my movies are over 4GB. I've never tried those apps that allow a Mac to write to NTSF.

Yes, Mac formatted drives work fine with the WDTV. Are you planning to attach the drive directly to the WDTV rather than sharing the files over the network? Either way, you shouldn't have a problem.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Yes, Mac formatted drives work fine with the WDTV. Are you planning to attach the drive directly to the WDTV rather than sharing the files over the network? Either way, you shouldn't have a problem.

That's great, thanks again. And yes, the drive will be attached directly to the WDTV Live, no network here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.