Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaughtupinDrama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2005
I noticed that when I got my new iPod (black, video, 30BG, 5G), it didn't come with a charger from the outlets or car!
is Apple being cheap or what?
now everyday I have to charge and leave my computer on, wasting energy and money. My new outlet charger will be coming in a few days.
but I realized when I opened the iPod package, there was this white piece of plastic with a whole in it and on a slant. Can anyone tell me what it is? I think it might be a dock...
can anyone help me?
:confused:

jkelly888

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2005
pluto
CaughtupinDrama said:
I noticed that when I got my new iPod (black, video, 30BG, 5G), it didn't come with a charger from the outlets or car!
is Apple being cheap or what?
now everyday I have to charge and leave my computer on, wasting energy and money. My new outlet charger will be coming in a few days.
but I realized when I opened the iPod package, there was this white piece of plastic with a whole in it and on a slant. Can anyone tell me what it is? I think it might be a dock...
can anyone help me?
:confused:
it is pretty stupid that people have to buy a seperate wall charger but thats just good buissnes(sp) stratagy on apples part. the white peice of plastic is for the universial dock connecter to that the ipod video will fit right. i think

CaughtupinDrama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2005
jkelly888 said:
it is pretty stupid that people have to buy a seperate wall charger but thats just good buissnes(sp) stratagy on apples part. the white peice of plastic is for the universial dock connecter to that the ipod video will fit right. i think
so now we have to buy a universal dock?
I love my iPod dearly...but still I'm not about to spend another $100 on it.

also, what do you guys think about the battery life of the 30GB?
I've had mine playing for an hour after charging and it's down to a 3/4 of battery life already.
and i've noticed that when you play a video, the battery life decreases rapidly

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
The iPod has never come with a car charger, but it did previously come with a wall charger. Also, that little white plastic piece is an insert for the new universal dock. Speaking of the new dock, I think it's a good idea. Instead of redesigning the entire thing with every new iPod, just make a new insert, because they all use the same dock connector (except the shuffle). They even have an insert for the 3G.

Someone also need to make a remote that plugs into the bottom of the iPod, so I don't have to reach for it every time I need to adjust it while driving. *slaps Apple for killing the remote port* :mad:

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I agree that Apple should still be including a wall-charger with iPods. Many people don't want to have to use their computer to do something as simple as charging the battery. That said, I bought a really nice charger at the Apple Store the other day. It's made by Incase and it's called a dual charger. It is a combination wall charger and car charger really slick and well-built. At least third-parties are doing a good job of filling the market with alternatives to the formerly included Apple wall charger.

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
Counterfit said:
Someone also need to make a remote that plugs into the bottom of the iPod, so I don't have to reach for it every time I need to adjust it while driving. *slaps Apple for killing the remote port* :mad:

I asked this in another thread..but did you ever find a workaround if you want to continue using the remote with a 5G? I'd really like to still use mine in the car.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
mduser63 said:
I agree that Apple should still be including a wall-charger with iPods. Many people don't want to have to use their computer to do something as simple as charging the battery. That said, I bought a really nice charger at the Apple Store the other day. It's made by Incase and it's called a dual charger. It is a combination wall charger and car charger really slick and well-built. At least third-parties are doing a good job of filling the market with alternatives to the formerly included Apple wall charger.

Would you be willing to post the brand of that dual charger (hopefully best buy has it since I have a gc there), for it seems like a nice thing to have, knocks out two things I wanted to get lol

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
dukebound85 said:
Would you be willing to post the brand of that dual charger (hopefully best buy has it since I have a gc there), for it seems like a nice thing to have, knocks out two things I wanted to get lol

It's made by Incase. I bought mine at the Apple Store, but I actually noticed that they carry them at Best Buy when I was there last night.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.