PDA

View Full Version : Minor OS X gripes... anyone else have these?

kay
Jan 27, 2002, 12:25 AM
1. When the system Appearance is set to Graphite, the dock menus are still blue. Hmm...

2. When I open a New Finder Window, the window always opens with the scroll bar at the bottom. Often this shows blank space in a window for a folder that easily has enough files to fill the window.

3. Related to #2: in general, OS X seems to have a problem with recognizing the window size needed to get rid of the scroll bars. Basically, if there's one document in a folder, and the window is the size of the screen, the scroll bars often remain. Then again, sometimes they disappear. It doesn't seem to matter whether or not I click the + (maximize) button in the header either.

4. This deal with the "Temporary Items" folder appearing in every partition is starting to get annoying. Can't delete it, either.

irmongoose
Jan 27, 2002, 01:53 AM
whats in the temporary items folder?

kay
Jan 27, 2002, 02:06 AM
Nothing! There's never anything in them but I can't delete them!

Almost as annoying as the Desktop Folder folders... I can't wait for those to finally disappear when Mac OS 9 is abolished.

mac15
Jan 27, 2002, 07:40 AM
that folder it so ****ing annoying

Buggy
Jan 28, 2002, 07:40 AM
My guess is that the temporary folder is not coming from OSX. I have the same sort of problem with my scanner. every time I use it it creates a new Scan folder on my desktop. I don't know how to kill it (actually I havn't really tried very hard maybe I will afer this post) I just throw the thing out every once and awhile.

I also had a wierd problem with a folder left over from "softwindows" a bit of playing around between OS9 and OSX and I finally got rid of it.

Just some of that learning curve for OSX.

eyelikeart
Jan 28, 2002, 10:01 AM
1> u can not pick another color other than graphite & aqua for system appearance.....all that cool eye candy and u only have 2 colors from which to pick?

2> u can not delete the folders for "deleted" users in the user setup.....come on....if they are deleted users, they obviously aren't needed on the hd!!

3> while not a big deal.....u have to create aliases of the hard drive in order to change the icon.....

other than these, I'd say I'm very pleased with everything about X :p

idkew
Jan 28, 2002, 10:36 AM
to delete the deleted users login as root. this works for most other things as well.

my gripe - i want a keyboard force quit that requires no clicking or windows. sometimes apps that have full screen use freeze and i am unable to click a force quit window, so i uneededly have to restart.

eyelikeart
Jan 28, 2002, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by idkew
to delete the deleted users login as root. this works for most other things as well.

my gripe - i want a keyboard force quit that requires no clicking or windows. sometimes apps that have full screen use freeze and i am unable to click a force quit window, so i uneededly have to restart.

I'll have to test that out tonite....

and, while I'm not there with u on it, I agree with u ont he force quit issue....it would make sense....

Hemingray
Jan 28, 2002, 01:22 PM
Now I may be wrong, but I heard somewhere that full-screen apps are supposed to force quit immediately if you hit the three-finger-salute. At least that's the case in the OSX build of Q3A.

Also have you tried hitting command+option+escape and then after about a second, hitting enter? I recall that the "Force Quit" button pulses, which means that enter should activate it. Maybe even though the Force Quit window doesn't show up it's still there.

Thrird option: Have you tried Command+Tab to switch to the finder or some other non-full-screen app and try force quitting from there?

I'm not sure if any of these things work, but maybe it's worth a shot.

GigaWire
Feb 8, 2002, 04:36 PM
Now I may be wrong, but I heard somewhere that full-screen apps are supposed to force quit immediately if you hit the three-finger-salute. At least that's the case in the OSX build of Q3A.

yes true, yes work.

Catfish_Man
Feb 8, 2002, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart

3> while not a big deal.....u have to create aliases of the hard drive in order to change the icon.....

other than these, I'd say I'm very pleased with everything about X :p

This is no longer true. My system partition has a custom icon and it's not an alias. Took me forever to get it to work though.

Rower_CPU
Feb 8, 2002, 06:17 PM
I've changed the icons on all 4 of my physical HDs (2 drives partitioned) without having to create aliases of them.

What's your deal "eye"? (congrats on 1000+ posts)

eyelikeart
Feb 8, 2002, 08:07 PM
so does anyone wanna tell me how to do it? or am I just being ignorant because it's so easy?!

thanks Rower_CPU! :p

chmorley
Feb 8, 2002, 08:20 PM
When I save a file from the web (in every browser I have tried), I cannot choose exactly where to save it. I have to pick from the limited options that come up.

That bugs the crap out of me.

CJM

kay
Feb 8, 2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by chmorley
When I save a file from the web (in every browser I have tried), I cannot choose exactly where to save it. I have to pick from the limited options that come up.

CJM

Use the horizontal scroll bar to move all the way to the left. This shows you all your mounted volumes.

macfreek57
Feb 8, 2002, 09:47 PM
classic needs to be built in

i could eloborate but forget it

chmorley
Feb 9, 2002, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by kay

Use the horizontal scroll bar to move all the way to the left. This shows you all your mounted volumes.

Doesn't work. You don't get a horizontal scroll bar like you do in just about every other type of application. Try it. Control-click a link or an image and try to save the link or the image. It only gives you a pull-down with limited options.

Bugs the crap out of me.

I appreciate the attempt to help, though. Thanks, kay.

CJM

Nipsy
Feb 9, 2002, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by chmorley

Doesn't work. You don't get a horizontal scroll bar like you do in just about every other type of application. Try it. Control-click a link or an image and try to save the link or the image. It only gives you a pull-down with limited options.

Bugs the crap out of me.

I appreciate the attempt to help, though. Thanks, kay.

CJM

Have you hit the up/down arrow button which toggles the directory tree window?

AmbitiousLemon
Feb 9, 2002, 01:14 AM
Window Behaviour really bugs the hell out of me. Here is an excerpt from my review of osx on my website:

"If your "view options" preferences are set "keep arrange by..." and you attempt to use the green button then the window will resize so that the icons furthest right will be cropped too close and will be forced to the next line of icons. If we set our "view options" to "always snap to grid" then the green button will crop the window so that there are several extra centimeters at the top of the window and the icons are forced further down so that they are not visible in the window anymore. The only way to get proper function from the green button is to set our "view options" to "none." The next annoying thing has to do with the global option in the view options window. The logical way for this option to function would be for all windows to be set to the global setting by default, allowing the user to change the feel of their entire system by changing the global settings. The user could then set any windows they wanted to function different to "this window only." This unfortunately is not how global settings function. Instead every window is set to its own setting by default. So if you want all your windows to look one way then you must go through every single folder and change the setting to global. Very frustrating to say the least."

These might seem minor, but they just cause so much annoyance that it makes OSX so unfriendly to me that i dont enjoy using it for long periods of time. so who cares about stablity. i mean sure then computer can run for months without a restart but who can actually put up with such an annoying os that long? every once in awhile i need to boot into os9 just to regain my sanity. ok its not that bad by any stretch of the imaginatyion but i felt like ranting for awhile. like i said these are small complaints that im sure apple will clear up soon (i sure hope soon).

Rower_CPU
Feb 9, 2002, 01:15 AM
Sorry to take so long to get back to you...busy watching the Olympic Opening Ceremonies.

All I do to change the icons is do "Get Info" on the item with the icon I want and do a copy (Command-C), go to the info window for the drive and paste it in place (Command-V). Sometimes you have to log out and then back in to get the new icon to appear.

dantec
Feb 9, 2002, 01:42 AM
The temporary folder is created in those ****y vise installs ! To answer your question about full-screen games, it works on any game I have! Q3a, Oni & Alice all do that... I'll have to check with starcraft, but starcraft never crashes anyway, (nor does Quake, very rarely)!

CJM

For that just add that folder or disk to the favorites. Then you can just pull down the menu in the sheet and save!

And to Ambitions Lemon,

To make it apply to all folders, log in as root. Most folders owned by root (applications, default layer of hard drive, system, library. Will all change.

Then you only have the problems in your own home and documents folders etc... to change

Hope this all helps...

Dante

P.S. I love Mac OS X, but if you run it at 1280x1024 it can get horrifically slow! I sometimes switch back to 1024x768 to reenjoy the speed, but then everything looks horrible on my 17" studio display!

dantec
Feb 9, 2002, 01:45 AM
But then there will be another problem... If you set your folders in root, be careful about the size. The size will stay default in any user who uses that folder (say applications). If you have different users and they each have their different settings, I would not touch icon arangement. You might like your app's folder in icons, but your wife might not and like it in the list format... So be careful with the tips I submit!:cool:

eyelikeart
Feb 9, 2002, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
All I do to change the icons is do "Get Info" on the item with the icon I want and do a copy (Command-C), go to the info window for the drive and paste it in place (Command-V). Sometimes you have to log out and then back in to get the new icon to appear.

thanks for the info....I've known how to do that all the while though....the last time I attempted to change the hard drive icons was before 10.1 (possibly a few months ago?) and it didn't work that way....but now I know it's fixed and I've done it...

thanks! ;)

Beej
Feb 9, 2002, 05:39 PM
I may or may not have a gripe. If someone answers 'yes' to this question, I don't have a gripe. If the answer to my question is 'no', than it is a gripe, albeit a gripe in the form of a question who's answer is 'no'... :D

Is there any way to turn off the warning when changing a file extension?

Beej
Feb 9, 2002, 05:40 PM
I know changing the file's extension may change it's behavior, that's why I did it, dammit! :D

kay
Feb 9, 2002, 05:41 PM
No. But I don't think it's a bad thing... having two file extensions like that can probably cause some problems.