Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
These looks awesome! However, I can't bring myself to pay Apple-like prices for an Android tablet. Just can't.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Owned a Note 10.1 (2014) for while and of the few flaws it had, size wasn't one of them--just making it less portable. I'm sure someone is excited for a larger version, just not me.

Now, the specs on the 8.4 are pretty impressive, especially the display resolution (though I'm still not certain it's necessary on smaller devices).

Also hate the hardware buttons on a device that may be used interchangeably in landscape or portrait orientation.

Finally, why both the Note and Tab versions at 12.2 and 10.1? They look identical with the same specs save for the S-Pen. Why would someone purchase the Tab version, unless there's a significant cost savings for a version without the S-Pen and it's associated features?

Last edited:

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
These looks awesome! However, I can't bring myself to pay Apple-like prices for an Android tablet. Just can't.

Unfortunately, especially for Samsung, this is most peoples' feelings, as well. For tablets, they need to figure out how they can undercut Apple's tablet pricing (not so easy when you're trying to maintain their huge profits). The fact is that Apple owns the premium tablets and Google owns the bargain ones.

Currently, I have the Galaxy Note 8 and the Nexus 7 2013. My preference is definitely the Nexus 7 (it's partly due to the fact that I have the note 3; I don't find enough differentiation). Also, the Nexus 7 is so pocketable and the screen stands out. Soon, I'm going to sell the note 8. Sadly, the prices have really dropped (luckily, I got a great deal on mine so I will come out close to even).

I would like to get the 10.1 note 2014. But, right now, they are too expensive. As with most Samsung products, their resale value drops way more than Apples. So, in a few months, I can probably get one for almost half the initial price.

As for these "pro" models, I'm not sure yet what makes them "pro"?

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013

That's because you may have not had the pleasure of using KitKat (ver 4.4.2) on a tablet. It's really quite fantastic.

I love my iPad Air, but to be honest I like KitKat on my Nexus 7 better. I'm eagerly awaiting the upcoming Nexus 10.

That's the beauty of choice, it's all up to the buyer. I'm deeply ensconced in both Android & iOS, that's my pleasure. :D

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
That's because you may have not had the pleasure of using KitKat (ver 4.4.2) on a tablet. It's really quite fantastic.

I have on the Nexus 7 I bought on Black Friday. It has since been given to a family member.

KK on Android doesn't solve anything. Chrome still crashes and the apps are still subpar.

maximus96

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
the wacom digitizer, along with the s-pen, seem to usually pad another $100 to the price tag...

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
the wacom digitizer, along with the s-pen, seem to usually pad another $100 to the price tag...

As much as I like those features, I resist paying the premium. For those just curious, their resistance is stronger. Samsung needs to price their tablets lower and use the s pen features as an added bonus not an added cost.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
A windows 8.1 tablet with wacom = i don't even care about any PRO android tablet lol.

----------

I love my iPad Air, but to be honest I like KitKat on my Nexus 7 better. I'm eagerly awaiting the upcoming Nexus 10.

That's the beauty of choice, it's all up to the buyer. I'm deeply ensconced in both Android & iOS, that's my pleasure. :D

I use kitkat 4.4.2 on a Nexus 7 and i would rather buy an 8 inch windows 8.1/9 tablet than these "PROs".

As soon as MSFT realizes how to tailor windows properly for a tablet/PC hybrid system flawlessly, i don't see why i will need an android tablet. The new atom based windows tablets are already doing amazing with performance and battery life.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Unfortunately, especially for Samsung, this is most peoples' feelings, as well. For tablets, they need to figure out how they can undercut Apple's tablet pricing (not so easy when you're trying to maintain their huge profits). The fact is that Apple owns the premium tablets and Google owns the bargain ones.

Currently, I have the Galaxy Note 8 and the Nexus 7 2013. My preference is definitely the Nexus 7 (it's partly due to the fact that I have the note 3; I don't find enough differentiation). Also, the Nexus 7 is so pocketable and the screen stands out. Soon, I'm going to sell the note 8. Sadly, the prices have really dropped (luckily, I got a great deal on mine so I will come out close to even).

I would like to get the 10.1 note 2014. But, right now, they are too expensive. As with most Samsung products, their resale value drops way more than Apples. So, in a few months, I can probably get one for almost half the initial price.

As for these "pro" models, I'm not sure yet what makes them "pro"?

This is spot-on. As much as I like Samsung (on my 5th straight sammy phone), I'm not spending $600+ on one of their tablets. Doesn't matter how good it is. I know with an iPad Air, I can pay $500 and sell it for more than 50% of its value a few years down the road.

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Owned a Note 10.1 (2014) for while and of the few flaws it had, size wasn't one of them--just making it less portable. I'm sure someone is excited for a larger version, just not me.

Now, the specs on the 8.4 are pretty impressive, especially the display resolution (though I'm still not certain it's necessary on smaller devices).

Also hate the hardware buttons on a device that may be used interchangeably in landscape or portrait orientation.

Finally, why both the Note and Tab versions at 12.2 and 10.1? They look identical with the same specs save for the S-Pen. Why would someone purchase the Tab version, unless there's a significant cost savings for a version without the S-Pen and it's associated features?

I actually have been waiting for Samsung to release a Note that was larger than the 10.1. I love taking notes in class with the 10.1 but It will be much easier maneuvering my hand on a larger screen.

Note 12.2 will be my next tablet.. Been waiting a while for this

Yep same here! Can't wait till it's released!

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
All those Android tablets have nice specs... But the bigger the tablet the worse are the apps. On a 7" device you can live with some blown up phone apps, but with 10" that really sucks. That's where iPads shine, crappy homescreen, superb apps; really the opposite to android at the moment.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I like the 8.4 one.

Great size.

Stupid to include capacitive and a hardware button.

----------

So you're ok with paying high prices for hardware that's not top notch (1GB RAM, screen resolution not the highest anymore, no touch ID, no pen, etc) and software with clearly less features and freedom?

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
So you're ok with paying high prices for hardware that's not top notch (1GB RAM, screen resolution not the highest anymore, no touch ID, no pen, etc) and software with clearly less features and freedom?

I can sell that Apple tablet 2 years down the road and still make back over 50% of the price I paid. Not happening with any high-end Android tablet. Doesn't matter how good the specs are.

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
I can sell that Apple tablet 2 years down the road and still make back over 50% of the price I paid. Not happening with any high-end Android tablet. Doesn't matter how good the specs are.

And this has what to do with actual user experience? It just means you pay more for that tablet and could(!) sell it for a good price.

And you are into cars from the Third Reich or how do I have to interpret your nickname?

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

What if someone doesn't want to resell it? What if they hand it down to their kids or relatives? What if they just use it until it dies......

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
And this has what to do with actual user experience? It just means you pay more for that tablet and could(!) sell it for a good price.
Anyone who thinks that an Android tablet provides the same user experience as iOS on an iPad is fooling themselves. And this is coming from one of the biggest Samsung fans on this board.

I've owned the newest Nexus 7. Still a lagfest compared to the non-retina iPad Mini. Pathetic when the hardware is so "superior"

And you are into cars from the Third Reich or how do I have to interpret your nickname?
Lol. AutoUnion was the precursor to the Audi brand. I'm a big fan of the Audi brand and drive one. :cool:

----------

What if someone doesn't want to resell it? What if they hand it down to their kids or relatives? What if they just use it until it dies......

Even then, I suspect the iPad will last slightly longer than the average Android tablet and be more durable. Perfect for kids.

Not to mention, it will probably be getting software updates for way longer

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
[/COLOR]

Even then, I suspect the iPad will last slightly longer than the average Android tablet and be more durable. Perfect for kids.

Not to mention, it will probably be getting software updates for way longer

I am not so sure about the durability you claim. Do you have any data to back that up?

srkmish

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2013
I am not so sure about the durability you claim. Do you have any data to back that up?

I think we have had threads in the ipad section where people's 2 year or more old ipad1/2 is still going strong with approx 60-70% battery capacity as well. I dont think i have heard any android tablet boasting such performance/battery life after 2 years.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I think we have had threads in the ipad section where people's 2 year or more old ipad1/2 is still going strong with approx 60-70% battery capacity as well. I dont think i have heard any android tablet boasting such performance/battery life after 2 years.
I have an iPad and love it…but does battery life determine durability? It might be part of it. I have an family member that has an iPad 2 and it is still going strong. But Thats not what the poster i was replying to said…...

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
Anyone who thinks that an Android tablet provides the same user experience as iOS on an iPad is fooling themselves. And this is coming from one of the biggest Samsung fans on this board.
Did you even read my post? You don't have to rant ;-) And Samsung has imho the worst android experience, so you made a bad a choice being a Samsung fan ;-)
I've owned the newest Nexus 7. Still a lagfest compared to the non-retina iPad Mini. Pathetic when the hardware is so "superior"
iOS7 provides some nice dropped frames too... and calling the n7 a "lagfest" is just plain wrong. Stop being so fanboyish...

Lol. AutoUnion was the precursor to the Audi brand. I'm a big fan of the Audi brand and drive one. :cool:

I know that.. but since you have the year 1939 in your name I thought you were referring to the sport cars the Nazis were so proud of....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.