Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/6/5279116/google-open-automotive-alliance-android-car-announcement

Google and a number of automakers are planning to bring Android to cars with the launch of a new group called the Open Automotive Alliance. The alliance consists of Google, GM, Honda, Audi, Hyundai, and chipmaker Nvidia, and will focus on bringing the successful mobile operating system to in-car entertainment systems "in a way that is purpose built for cars." The first cars with Android integration are planned for launch by the end of 2014.

In a press release, the group outlines its plans for the future, noting that it hopes to add more automakers and technology companies down the line. Its focus at the moment is to develop new features for Android that'll allow developers to easily add car modes to their apps. The Open Automotive Alliance has already been in touch with the National Highways Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in order to ensure the system is safe for in-car use. Its primary goal is to "bring the best of Android into the automobile in a safe and seamless way."

Google faces stiff competition, even from its partners

Google is just one of several companies shooting for in-car supremacy. The first cars with full Siri integration have begun to appear after Apple announced its own partnerships back in 2012, and the Sync system found in Fords is based on Microsoft technology. Car companies don't appear to be choosing just one partner either — Honda is already involved in Apple's efforts, while, Chevrolet, a division of Google's newly announced partner GM, recently demonstrated an app store and in-car interface for its 2015 lineup.

News of Google's plans for an automotive version of Android came late last year, when it was reported that the software giant was to partner with Audi. It turns out the partnership is far larger than originally expected.

2013-07-23_20-54-01-1020_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
The last thing i want is my car to run iOS or android. I would rather have a multiple platform approach with API/OS support for iOS/android/WP so i can use any phone with any car. Not "you can only use iPhones with BMW, androids with Audi" crap that's turning out to be. Don't want car selection to have smartphone platform as another hurdle.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
The last thing i want is my car to run iOS or android. I would rather have a multiple platform approach with API/OS support for iOS/android/WP so i can use any phone with any car. Not "you can only use iPhones with BMW, androids with Audi" crap that's turning out to be.

Who says that's how it's going to be? Google has never played that game, at least not with iOS users and Google are probably the most cross-platform services company around, which is certainly not true of Apple or Microsoft.

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
Who says that's how it's going to be? Google has never played that game, at least not with iOS users and Google are probably the most cross-platform services company around, which is certainly not true of Apple or Microsoft.

Oh that's right, let me fire up my YouTube app from Google on my wife's Windows phone......

Wrong! They will support what they determine HAVE to support, they are no better than Apple (e.g. iTunes for Windows) in that regard.

iOS had a base so Google had to support so they could drive their revenues. As well they should, they have to keep their shareholders happy.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
The last thing i want is my car to run iOS or android. I would rather have a multiple platform approach with API/OS support for iOS/android/WP so i can use any phone with any car. Not "you can only use iPhones with BMW, androids with Audi" crap that's turning out to be. Don't want car selection to have smartphone platform as another hurdle.

Makes no sense at all. Google is the most-cross platform software maker out there it seems. Everything works on both iOS and Android. Gmail, Youtube, wallet, etc.

Same with this. Hopefully, this means that Android will FINALLY be supported by car makers. Apple has gotten exclusivity for a long time. It's time to open it up.

Now imagine the possibilities. Audi was the only maker in the business with Google Maps integration. They still are right now. EDIT: Tesla is the second maker with GMaps support

When Google starts partnering with other makers, they will have access to basically the best GPS software out there. No one beats Google at this. Most up to date traffic, maps, and the route guidance is always spot on. With Google's integration, we will get Google Play Music streaming radio, Google Voice support (text messages in dash), and above all, the best POI database in the industry. It will always be up to date.

Another thing to note is that car makers have been trying for the last few years to bring "App" support. Cadillac CUE, Lexus Enform, Toyota Entune, BMW Apps. I've used them all. They all suck. Slow, clunky interfaces, and they're never updated to include new services. Devs had to endure separate dev kits and APIs. Now with this, Android for car could have its own APIs and app store. Therefore, apps like Spotify, MOG, Pandora can make it into cars, without having to wait for car makers to push it out for everyone. BMW has been taking ages to push Spotify out to iDrive for example.

It would be awesome to see a slimmed down car-centric version of Android in-dash and every car maker makes their own launchers/skins, sort of like Android has now.

Last edited:

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011

In that case its all good.

As for being cross platform, that's what I would expect from a company which offers primarily web services, no?

----------

Makes no sense at all. Google is the most-cross platform software maker out there it seems. Everything works on both iOS and Android. Gmail, Youtube, wallet, etc.

Same with this. Hopefully, this means that Android will FINALLY be supported by car makers. Apple has gotten exclusivity for a long time. It's time to open it up.

Now imagine the possibilities. Audi was the only maker in the business with Google Maps integration. They still are right now.

When Google starts partnering with other makers, they will have access to basically the best GPS software out there. No one beats Google at this. Most up to date traffic, maps, and the route guidance is always spot on. With Google's integration, we will get Google Play Music streaming radio, Google Voice support (text messages in dash), and above all, the best POI database in the industry. It will always be up to date.

Another thing to note is that car makers have been trying for the last few years to bring "App" support. Cadillac CUE, Lexus Enform, Toyota Entune, BMW Apps. I've used them all. They all suck. Slow, clunky interfaces, and they're never updated to include new services. Devs had to endure separate dev kits and APIs. Now with this, Android for car could have its own APIs and app store. Therefore, apps like Spotify, MOG, Pandora can make it into cars, without having to wait for car makers to push it out for everyone. BMW has been taking ages to push Spotify out to iDrive for example.

It would be awesome to see a slimmed down car-centric version of Android in-dash and every car maker makes their own launchers/skins, sort of like Android has now.

Doesnt tesla also use Google maps?

My primary maps provider is google, but I would say their POI database in non-US countries can be a little off. It still shows a business down the road where I live, which has shuttered 2 years ago. And it still fails to show our current doctor's medical complex for a year.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Doesnt tesla also use Google maps?

Completely forgot about Tesla. Yes, they are the second maker.

My primary maps provider is google, but I would say their POI database in non-US countries can be a little off. It still shows a business down the road where I live, which has shuttered 2 years ago. And it still fails to show our current doctor's medical complex for a year.

Even if they may be off, they're still faster than any other map provider (NAVTEQ, etc) in the United States.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Oh that's right, let me fire up my YouTube app from Google on my wife's Windows phone......

Wrong! They will support what they determine HAVE to support, they are no better than Apple (e.g. iTunes for Windows) in that regard.

Wow, I'm not sure you could have been more selective and misleading in quoting me.

What I actually said was:

Google has never played that game, at least not with iOS users

Windows Phone has a relatively tiny marketshare and Google have either decided it is not worth it at this time, or they doing what they can to try and keep the marketshare that small. They also have never had a good relationship with Microsoft and for good reason.

I can use pretty much ALL Google Services on the following operating systems:

Windows Desktop
OS X
Linux (And given that Desktop linux has similar of fewer users than Windows Phone/RT, they don't HAVE to support this - but they do)
iOS
Android
FreeBSB
ChromeOS

No other company comes close to this - I can't even Facetime on non-Apple gear. Apple only supports Apple, and then Windows if they absolutely have to.

Last edited:

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Wow, I'm not sure you could have been more selective and misleading in quoting me.

What I actually said was:

Windows Phone has a relatively tiny marketshare and Google have either decided it is not worth it at this time, or they doing what they can to try and keep the marketshare that small. They also have never had a good relationship with Microsoft and for good reason.

I can use pretty much all Google Services on the following operating systems:

Windows Desktop
OS X
Linux (And given that Desktop linux has similar of fewer users than Windows Phone/RT, they don't HAVE to support this - but they do)
iOS
Android
FreeBSB

No other company comes close to this.

Maybe scroogled has something to do with it. Ms should really wrap up that childish campaign. Is it good for them that many people like me have a hard time switching to wp because of their spat with Google? May be Google has a part in it too, but its best these two come up with a solution that can be in favor of their users. Outlook is good, but there is no way "scroogled" is going to make me shut my gmail that I have used for years.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Maybe scroogled has something to do with it. Ms should really wrap up that childish campaign. Is it good for them that many people like me have a hard time switching to wp because of their spat with Google? May be Google has a part in it too, but its best these two come up with a solution that can be in favor of their users. Outlook is good, but there is no way "scroogled" is going to make me shut my gmail that I have used for years.

Oh it goes back way further than that - they have been heavily enforcing licensing agreements on Android OEMs for years for all sorts of IP - valid or not:

http://www.dailytech.com/Of+Lawsuit...ll+Microsoft+v+Android+Story/article23088.htm

Go back to Google's motto in the early days - "Don't be Evil". This is clearly a reference to the business dealings of Microsoft in the 80's and 90's.

I think many people here have it wrong (and so too do Apple) - Apple is not the main business rival of Google, Microsoft is. Just as Microsoft and Apple have fairly happily co-existed in the desktop space, so too can Google and Apple in the mobile space.

Not only do iOS and Android devices serve different markets, iOS does not need a large marketshare for Apple to make obscene amounts of money.

Over the next 5 to 10 years, I believe Microsoft will come under massive amounts of pressure from Google in the areas which until now it has been untouchable by any competitor - the desktop and enterprise.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
You all assume that because the car may have 'built-in' apps from Google within the infotainment system (like Google Maps), that your phone is useless? Incorrect. Bluetooth 4.0 LE is an open standard. New cars provide this open standard within the infotainment system. In fact my Nokia 520, my Nexus 5 and my iPad Mini can all do the exact same thing (well, my iPad can't make calls but that is because it isn't LTE.) This will be no different in that regard. The 'built-in' apps will likely be forked apps from the manufacturer to run on their platform, nothing else. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if in the U.S. carriers and On-Star don't link up to provide mobile Wi-Fi on the go, creating yet another channel for your car to be linked to multiple services.

Google simply doesn't care about what phone you use. As long as they get your metrics, that's all that matters to them.

Todd B.

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2013
Google and open should never be used in the same sentence.

They're only "open" when it suits them...

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
It's about time, my 2009 Acura only takes iPods and other Apple products. Plugging in my phone through the USB yields an "unsupported device" message. I can only use my phone through bluetooth for audio and calls. It would be great to plug in my phone and charge it while it's connected.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Why is this massive ????:confused: no new news here iOS has a way better shot at the automotive industry.

The automotive industry is the entire world you know? Outside the US, iOS is a very tiny slice of the mobile device pie. Auto manufacturers are more likely to adopt the most widely used tech that can be recoded to their specifications. Apple simply doesn't have enough market share and the most certainly won't allow car OEM's to alter the iOS code.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
The automotive industry is the entire world you know? Outside the US, iOS is a very tiny slice of the mobile device pie. Auto manufacturers are more likely to adopt the most widely used tech that can be recoded to their specifications. Apple simply doesn't have enough market share and the most certainly won't allow car OEM's to alter the iOS code.

That is totally untrue, although Apple has a small marketshare worldwide wide they do have a large marketshare for people, that are potential customers of cars that are going to have mobile OS infotainment systems. If your logic was sound Apple would not even bother with the automotive industry.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Some of you guys are just plain crazy. Look how long it took Apple to get their cloud service working decently. Look at the debacle they got into with Apple maps. IOS has a very, very, VERY long way to go before it will become practical to slap it into a touchscreen in a Lexus or Toyota if you plan to do anything more than play music or play videos.

Android isn't there yet either, but the mere availability of the source code and history of open, documented API's for a lot of the system means that there is already a lot of ground covered for applying the function/philosophy/source code to new hardware. Google could drop the ball next week and some enthusiasts would probably pick up where they left off and build upon the work to release their own custom car-ROM.

This is largely beside the point. A bigger issue is whether I want drivers on the road having access to their gmail, twitter feed and netflix.

The implementation of these systems is going to have far reaching ramifications in a lot of different industries (not the least of which is radio/tv broadcast).

kdarling

macrumors P6

Exactly. You should be able to take any device into any automobile, and interact without trouble.

The thing is, the automotive industry is doing this backwards if they want to not have to deal with everyone else's proprietary stuff over and over again.

What they should've done is come up with their own universal standard data/control interface, and thus force all device makers to support it or be left out.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Why is this massive ????:confused: no new news here iOS has a way better shot at the automotive industry.

No, it really doesn't and for a number of reasons:

1. Worldwide, Android is absolutely dominating iOS in terms of market share.
2. I can't see Apple providing full support for non IOS devices - they have no track record of doing this historically. Google on the other hand have a very good track record. As long as you're accessing google services, they don't care what device you use.
3. The biggest plus for Google was already mentioned...

Apple is extremely unlikely to allow car makers to customise their firmware....Google is very likely to allow this.

----------

Apple has a small marketshare worldwide wide they do have a large marketshare for people, that are potential customers of cars that are going to have mobile OS infotainment systems.

Did you read the first post? I think if a maker like Hyundai is intending to implement this, it's pretty safe to say that these systems will be common in all cars soon, from the bottom of the market to the top.

Ps. You really shouldn't steal other users avatars, even if you have converted them to black and white. Not cool!
https://forums.macrumors.com/members/539346/

Last edited:

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Did you read the first post? I think if a maker like Hyundai is intending to implement this, it's pretty safe to say that these systems will be common in all cars soon, from the bottom of the market to the top.
It's very unlikely the automotive industry is going to give up their premiums for the mobile industry they would just be giving away money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.