Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saporiti

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Portugal
Sup guuuys

Currently rocking an iPhone 5C. However those new Lumia's with 6 inch screens and others with 41MP cameras are adorable.

However, there's so many apps missing in WP8, how about we state the ones we would miss the most:

- VSCO Cam (the main one for me)
- Instagram (it's still on beta right?)
- Quiz Up
- Candy Crush
- Snapchat
- Whatsapp and Viber (I'm not sure if they're already on WP8)
- My bank official app lol
- Dropbox
- 9GAG
- IMDB
- Skyscanner, tripadvisor, booking.com, easyJet...
- Zedge
- TuneIn Radio
- Spotify
- SquareReady
- Sphere
- My Vodafone official app for remote control etc.
- Snapseed
- Feedly
- TED..

That's it for me... if this apps would all be available on the WP8 I would change phones today!

What about you guys?

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Your list with equivalent or same app in bold. Most of these are already on WP:

• VSCO Cam (the main one for me) - Nokia Lumia Beta camera
  • Instagram (it's still on beta right?) - Instagram is still in beta
  • Quiz Up - No equivalent yet (just read in December that they have received funding to port to Windows Phone)
  • Candy Crush - No equivalent
  • Snapchat - 6snap
  • Whatsapp and Viber (I'm not sure if they're already on WP8) - Whatsapp and Viber are both on WP8
  • Dropbox - Filebox
  • 9GAG - 9Gag
  • IMDB - IMDB
  • Skyscanner, tripadvisor, booking.com, easyJet...
  • Zedge - Zedge
  • TuneIn Radio - TuneIn Radio
  • Spotify - Spotify
  • SquareReady - No equivalent
  • Sphere - Don't know what this is?
  • My Vodafone official app for remote control etc. - Ask Vodaphone
  • Snapseed - Owned by Google. Won't be on Windows Phone
  • Feedly - No equivalent
  • TED.. - TED

saporiti

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Portugal
Yeah that sucks.... lol. And the Nokia Camera app... bro, VSCO is VSCO. It's film simulation... :rolleyes:

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
You're better off just finding the official apps that are available.

Also spotify is way behind on windows phone.

laserfox

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
new york
Sup guuuys

Currently rocking an iPhone 5C. However those new Lumia's with 6 inch screens and others with 41MP cameras are adorable.

However, there's so many apps missing in WP8, how about we state the ones we would miss the most:

- VSCO Cam (the main one for me)
- Instagram (it's still on beta right?)
- Quiz Up
- Candy Crush
- Snapchat
- Whatsapp and Viber (I'm not sure if they're already on WP8)
- My bank official app lol
- Dropbox
- 9GAG
- IMDB
- Skyscanner, tripadvisor, booking.com, easyJet...
- Zedge
- TuneIn Radio
- Spotify
- SquareReady
- Sphere
- My Vodafone official app for remote control etc.
- Snapseed
- Feedly
- TED..

That's it for me... if this apps would all be available on the WP8 I would change phones today!

What about you guys?

Some of those apps are in the store. Some also have great 3rd party alternatives like 6Tag is a fabulous Instagram client. Otherwise if those are what's bothering you I'd say wp8 are in pretty good shape these days...

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I don't miss anything having switched to WP8. We have Hipstamatic Oggl which is a good camera app.

However, I'm also someone who has studied photography for the last 10+ years. And one of the things they teach us is that if a picture can't stand on its own, then it's not a good picture.

Hence, for the majority of my mobile snaps, I just use the default app, or something like Camera+ on my iOS devices. If I'm going to use filters, I prefer live ones.

VSCO is nice, I have it on my iPod Touch. It's just I really haven't been bothered to use it. I can do all those settings in Photoshop if I wanted to, which I do.

But whatever, keep racking up the money on "camera gear". I'm just glad I'm not doing it. We have stuff like being able to set the ISO and shutter speed, which are much more useful anyway.

And yes, we do have Feedly clients. Phonly and Nextgen Reader. I use Nextgen myself. Microsoft just handed us 20GB for SkyDrive, and that works flawlessly integrated with the phone, backing up all your photos and videos for you.

Next time do a bit of research before a post like this. The *MAJORITY* of those apps are on Windows Phone with more coming in the next few months.

You're also forgetting that the lack of apps is a Microsoft problem. The Windows Phone SDK only works on Windows 8, and all these iOS developers are using OS X. It's easy enough to develop for Android because Eclipse and other editors work fine on a Mac, but a developer would have to invest INTO the Windows OS, tools, and the developer program itself.

Which is not worth it, considering how small the marketshare still is.

hashholly

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
I actually have been a fan of Windows Phone 8, but there is still a lack of apps, and saying that "more coming soon" doesn't help because when i soon? 1 month, 6 months? Another Year? I do realize for most people they're enough apps to get by, but for me personal, this is what I've seen missing so far, including three specific bank apps:

Vivnt (Not having this app alone is why I couldn't switch)
Imo Messenger (Probably other messaging apps out there)
Lifelock
HBO Go
Xfinity TV Go
WatchESPN
Amazon Instant Video
NBC Sports LiveExtra
XfinityConnect

Surprisingly, for me the app list isn't big, but its important enough that I wouldn't be able to make the switch without them.

saporiti

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Portugal
Nice replys around here... but always the usual stuff of "soon to come" and "there is something similar to it"... that's not enough.

Why would someone switch (for example) a 500€ phone for another one, probably expensive, and without the apps that he truly needs? :confused:

About the photography issue... I'm not a pro-photographer, and I love VSCO. I can say that if the app was available in WP8 I would seriously think about making the jump.

Now, don't come rushing wierd apps that have nothing to do with VSCO itself..

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Quite a few apps used in the UK aren't available - certain train apps, banking apps, and the apps which are available, are extremely limited compared to the Android and IOS counterparts.

Plus, yes, maybe there ARE alternatives, but in a lot of cases (well for me anyway), some apps have cloud integration and are integrated in iother apps and so on. So using an alternative would mean starting from scratch ..

One example: Cozi - for me / us, brilliant calendar app. There are apps on IOS and Android, Android even having widgets - which is fantastic .. So yea, there are alternatives out there but that would you'd have to start creating calendars from scratch ... And why would you want to do that .. Ok, some apps, like Cozi, can be accessed over the internet, but that is painful and one would give up using it pretty quickly ...

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Now, don't come rushing wierd apps that have nothing to do with VSCO itself..

Its amazing how someone wants help and then berates others about what you don't like.

Buy a wp and test it yourself should have been the reply from all of the above.

saporiti

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Portugal
Its amazing how someone wants help and then berates others about what you don't like.

Buy a wp and test it yourself should have been the reply from all of the above.

Chill son. I was just stating that VSCO Cam app is completely different from the ones mentioned above.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Why would someone switch (for example) a 500€ phone for another one, probably expensive, and without the apps that he truly needs? :confused:

Then why are you even asking if you have no intent to switch? You're just pointing out what you want, but know you probably have no chance of getting.

VSCO will be bust in a years time. We've been through this 20 million times now. Hipstamatic is huge, but not huge enough that they didn't have to do layoffs this past year.

saporiti

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Portugal
I don't care if it's big... Instagram itself is big and I rarely use the provided filters. Mostly I use the ones in VSCO Cam. I was just trying to say that only VSCO has the variety of automatic film simulation filters. RIGHT??

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I find a lot of local content missing on Wp8. No national TV streaming apps, few Irish news apps from the likes of Irish Times, online banking apps etc... that's where I see a lot of the missing content.

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
I wonder if it's app developers or windows/nokia are the ones lagging on apps. I'm with the OP, I don't like using clients; I prefer the official apps. Honestly, once the apps issue is resolved I'll be ready to try out windows.

sammy-boy

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2013
Staffordshire, UK
I recently got a secondhand Lumia 925, and have been quite pleasantly surprised. Very smooth and quick, I've found 90% of the apps I use in my iPhone.

However as others have said their marketplace does seem to be lacking in more regional apps, and some have a feel of being a quick WP 'port' and not regularly updated or quite as fully featured as some iOS or Android equivalents. For example, the Weight Watchers app on WP is just the points calculator and not the full food tracker like on the other platforms.

I hope WP does expand and succeed, having a third player in the mix should help keep Apple and Google on their toes!

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I tried Windows Phone about a month ago after being a long time iOS user. I was only frustrated with the absence of, or lower quality, of the following apps.

* Spotify app: there is an app, but it doesn't have last.fm scrobling or discovery features. This was quite a big thing for me.
* Regional travel & media apps: Richer selection on iOS.
* Official Google apps: There are 3rd party clients for most google services, but the fact that there are official apps available on both iOS and Android frustrated me.

Along with what others have said, I found Nextgen reader to be an excellent feedly client. I actually use it on my Windows laptop now.

Aside from apps, there were some issues I had with the OS (as well as some things I liked). I posted my thoughts on this previously: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18489690/

Last edited:

sammy-boy

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2013
Staffordshire, UK
Almost forgot, perhaps a case in point that bugs in apps aren't promptly addressed is Waze. I have this on my 925 and it has a horrendous battery drain bug that renders it almost unusable for any amount of time - even when plugged into a car charger the battery will still discharge and within a couple of hours or so will you'll have a flat battery!

Not tried it since installing the Nokia Black update this morning so not sure if that will help but for me regular updating of apps, especially bugfixes is almost as important to WP as the apps themselves.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Almost forgot, perhaps a case in point that bugs in apps aren't promptly addressed is Waze. I have this on my 925 and it has a horrendous battery drain bug that renders it almost unusable for any amount of time - even when plugged into a car charger the battery will still discharge and within a couple of hours or so will you'll have a flat battery!

Not tried it since installing the Nokia Black update this morning so not sure if that will help but for me regular updating of apps, especially bugfixes is almost as important to WP as the apps themselves.

Oh yeah, that killed my battery too. I wasn't even using it, but it was running in the background. I didn't try changing the permissions, I just deleted it. But you can try doing that in the system settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.