Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

captrlp

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012
I have tried every brand of keyboard and/or folio for the iPad line. I have always ended up with a Zagg product as my final choice. The Zagg cover for the Air has the trademark construction quality of previous Zagg products. The Air cover is the most solidly built and feeling product Zagg has ever released. The newest covers match the color of the Space Grey perfectly. The hinge design is genius at its best. The hinge holds the iPad solidly and is plenty strong to the iPad in any position throughout its rotation range. The iPad is easily inserted and removed from the hinge, without damaging the iPad. The only downside is the inability to use full coverage Zagg shields on the front and back. Zagg claims this can be done, but I promise it will not work. I have witnessed this first hand at the Zagg corporate store. The current workaround is to simply trim the shields. Yes, you lose about 2% coverage on each side, but I find this a small inconvenience for the benefit of the Zaggkeys cover. The iPad is no more open to damage with this setup than what could happen using the system in the Ultrathin. If you're looking for a solid keyboard with top of the line construction and features, look no further than the Zaggkeys cover.

Epiphron

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2010
How is this compare to the Ultrathin in terms of the hinge? The ultrathin allows easy removal due to magnets. Is it easy to insert and remove from the Zagg hinge constantly? I tend to use the keyboard as a smart cover and detach it when I don't have to type

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
One Problem stopping me from purchasing this case: it cannot be used in a tablet 'clamshell' mode, big deal breaker for me.

brianbunge

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Kennesaw, GA
One Problem stopping me from purchasing this case: it cannot be used in a tablet 'clamshell' mode, big deal breaker for me.

Are we talking about the Zaggkeys Folio or the Zaggkeys Cover? The Cover is the keyboard and hinge only (no back cover on the iPad)? With this model you simply pull out the iPad and flip it over. You can then close it and use it in clamshell mode. I plan to buy one as soon as they are available in BestBuy.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Are we talking about the Zaggkeys Folio or the Zaggkeys Cover? The Cover is the keyboard and hinge only (no back cover on the iPad)? With this model you simply pull out the iPad and flip it over. You can then close it and use it in clamshell mode. I plan to buy one as soon as they are available in BestBuy.

That's brilliant. It never occurred to me to do that. It makes the design very smart. Now I wish I could trade in my new Belkin Qode Ultimate Air for one of these.

brianbunge

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Kennesaw, GA
That's brilliant. It never occurred to me to do that. It makes the design very smart. Now I wish I could trade in my new Belkin Qode Ultimate Air for one of these.

I saw a video for the same cover for the mini and they inserted it in that way! I immediately thought it was brilliant also!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I would love to see photos ... and paragraphs, but I'll settle for photos.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
FWIW, I went with the Zaggkeys Folio over the Logitech solutions for a couple of reasons.

- Logitech Ultrathin Folio keyboard layout was super unfriendly for my line of work. Ctrl on the right, Tab/Q shared the same key (Had to hit Fn-Q to use tab), keyboard felt cramped/unnatural.
- Logitech Ultrathin Cover had the "proper" keyboard layout but the iPad has to be removed from the cover and stuck into the slot to prop it up and use the keyboard and the cover doesn't flip around to the back so it's just generally awkward to use when not closed or in "keyboard mode."

After a few minutes using the Zaggkeys Folio I knew it was the right one for me.

fanchee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
I just picked up the ZaggKeys Cover this morning, it's charging. I currently own the Logitech Ultrathin and will be comparing the two, and returning the one I don't prefer.

brianbunge

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Kennesaw, GA
I just picked up the ZaggKeys Cover this morning, it's charging. I currently own the Logitech Ultrathin and will be comparing the two, and returning the one I don't prefer.

Where did you happen to pick one up? The only reason I'm waiting for BestBuy because I have gift cards.

fanchee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
Where did you happen to pick one up? The only reason I'm waiting for BestBuy because I have gift cards.

Best Buy. They had 2 in stock. I had a rewards certificate I used towards it. It's just now charged up. I really like many aspects of it, but it is quite a bit heavier than the Logitech.

I like how you can change the colors of the keyboard when it's backlit. The keyboard itself feels really solid and is easy to type on.

But I'm one of those who uses it for a few minutes to type an email or message, then takes the iPad out to play games or browse. It's so easy to take it out of the Logitech and just sit the keyboard aside. The Zagg isn't difficult to take out, but it's more difficult to put back in because you have to make sure it's aligned perfectly (or is that just me?)

brianbunge

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Kennesaw, GA
Best Buy. They had 2 in stock. I had a rewards certificate I used towards it. It's just now charged up. I really like many aspects of it, but it is quite a bit heavier than the Logitech.

I like how you can change the colors of the keyboard when it's backlit. The keyboard itself feels really solid and is easy to type on.

But I'm one of those who uses it for a few minutes to type an email or message, then takes the iPad out to play games or browse. It's so easy to take it out of the Logitech and just sit the keyboard aside. The Zagg isn't difficult to take out, but it's more difficult to put back in because you have to make sure it's aligned perfectly (or is that just me?)

I just checked out the Best Buy website and saw that they had them in stock at my local store! I just picked it up and am typing on it now! I had the older Zaggkeys Folio keyboard and was looking for something exactly like this! I wanted to be able to be able to use it in clamshell mode but also be able to use it without some goofy support to hold it open. I loved the looks of the Brydge but had a friend who had one for his old iPad and didn't like it. So when I saw this design I knew it was the one for me. I already liked the keyboard layout of the Zaggs and read every review I could find of the competition while I waited for this to be released. So I'm quite happy to find this available just before I start back to school next week!

midwestfisherma

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
S.E. Mich
I would love to see photos ... and paragraphs, but I'll settle for photos.

grammarpolice.jpg

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia

Would love to see a review/comparison with pics if you can :)

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
The biggest advantage of the Zagg is that you can use it on your lap. The Logitech ones only work if it's sitting on a table because it's just kinda "balanced" in that spot. Plus the fixed angle means if you're sitting at a fairly low table or on a high chair you're screwed. With Zagg you can be anywhere.

captrlp

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012
The iPad is easily inserted and removed from the hinge. The design of the hinge that holds the iPad is such that it wont damage the iPad. The range of rotation is fantastic and easily allows for use whether on a desk, in your lap etc.
The keyboard is the most solid feeling keyboard Zagg has ever produced. The keys feel much more solid than previous Zagg products and by far exceeds the competition, especially for touch typers, such as myself.
I demoed the folio a few weeks ago, and while nice, its not near as solid feeling as the cover. As well, removing the iPad can be cumbersome, whereas the cover, its easy in, easy out. I also demoed the Ultrathin, and while nice in design, Logitech skimped on construction. I used an Ultrathin on my iPad two for a short period, and the Air Ultrathin is definetly constructed cheaper. When removing the iPad, you can see the plastic seperate from the aluminum body.
While I am a big fan of Zagg, I'm not an employee, so my review and opinion should be viewed as such. While Zagg has made some changes to return/replacement policies, not in the best interest of the customer, they're still fantastic to work with. I'm fortunate that I deal directly with the corporate store and manager, so maybe my customer service experience is different than what others may experience.
In the past four weeks, I have used the Ultrathin, Belkin Qode Ultimate, Zagg Folio and now the Zagg Cover. Hands down, the Zagg Cover is the best keyboard option that has been produced for any of the iPads.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
Would love to see some more reviews, pictures and videos of this case. Not much out there.

I know this thread is about the Cover, but thought I'd post (crappy) pics of the Folio as well. Appears to be basically the same keyboard as the Cover, the difference being the iPad is basically fully protected instead of having the back exposed, you also don't have what appears to be an awkward hinge bulging out. :)

20140108_140933.jpg

20140108_140953.jpg

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I know this thread is about the Cover, but thought I'd post (crappy) pics of the Folio as well. Appears to be basically the same keyboard as the Cover, the difference being the iPad is basically fully protected instead of having the back exposed, you also don't have what appears to be an awkward hinge bulging out. :)

The cover has an aluminum bottom that matches the Ipad. The folio is all plastic. That's a big difference to me.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
The cover has an aluminum bottom that matches the Ipad. The folio is all plastic. That's a big difference to me.

That is a difference, but "big" is relative. The Folio, while plastic, is not flimsy feeling. The hinge and keyboard are tight and solid, the keyboard doesn't flex, and the iPad is completely enclosed so there's no odd color mis-match between the iPad and Folio.

The aesthetics of the aluminum is nicer than plastic, but on the flip side it also likes to collect finger prints, it can get scratched and dented, and it has that "Oooo, that's expensive, I'm gonna steal it!" look about it.

The Folio makes the iPad look like an unassuming netbook. I don't care about showing off in public, so the look and feel of the Folio works fine for me.

I do like how the Cover lets you flip the iPad around and use it in "tablet mode." That's one thing I miss with the Folio, but it hasn't been a big deal so far.

fanchee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
I've decided to keep the Zaggkeys and return the Logitech. Please realize these are just my opinions and thoughts, and this is the solution that works best for me.

The keyboard itself just feels better and has more full size keys. It's simply easier to type on. You can see for yourself in my photos what I'm talking about, but Logitech uses more 1/2 sized keys, like the ? and the ', which I use a lot.

The Zagg is about a half pound heavier, and it definitely feels heavier, so if you are looking for a lightweight solution, the Logitech may be a better fit.

The Zagg has multiple viewing angles, which I find quite nice. The Logitech only has one viewing angle. You put the iPad in the little slot and that's it.

That being said, the iPad is much easier to get out of the Logitech to use solo. I'm not saying it's difficult to remove from the Zagg, but it's not quite as easy as lift and go.

Hope the photos help! As for me, I've decided to keep the Zagg. Anyone want a brand new Logitech Ultrathin? LOL. :)

y3emapep.jpg

8u6y9uzy.jpg

zytaga4y.jpg

py8ezata.jpg

y5u6yrud.jpg

----------

Here's two more so you can maybe get an idea of the multiple viewing angles vs just the one.

And a few of the different colors of backlighting.

abegenu7.jpg

aquhe8aq.jpg

ynanyju2.jpg

hegy4ubu.jpg

duvehumy.jpg

ffnc1020

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2013
Indiana
Thanks for the pics! It looks like it might be the one, however I'm still holding for Clamcase Pro. I use to own one for my old iPad 2, it works great and protects the back of your iPad, but weights a lot. I would love if someone will get that as well in the future and do a side by side review with the ZAGG cover.

eg2007

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2007
Just picked up the Zaggkeys Cover for the iPad Air in Space Grey. Matches my Air perfectly.

I have to admit, I had the Cover for the Mini and this Air version's build quality is MUCH better.

Also had the Zaggkeys Folio for the Mini. It's made of mostly plactic. I wound up returning 3 different ones because they kept cracking.

So far, I'm really appreciating this iPad Air Cover. It's a combination of a plastic keyboard with an aluminum back that matches the iPad Air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.