Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Have decided to buy only one paid game at the moment :-( yeah sad don't wanna spend too much on something which I don't know how much am I gonna enjoy :rolleyes: so…

Between these 3 which one should I go for ? any suggestions ??

I know the last one is pretty old but thats ok with me as long as it gives a good gaming experience I am fine with any. I know the most obvious answer coming here will be well, what is your preference do you like war, strategy, thriller games or what ? My answer is the same no preference as long as it is involving and is fun to play no preference really so out of these 3 which one should i go for in priority wise :)

I have a Macbook Pro Retina Display 13 Inch.

1. Grand Theft Auto - SAN ANDREAS

2. Grand Theft Auto - 3

3. Call of Duty - Modern Warfare ( I know is pretty old but no problem on that)

Please suggest People !

Thanks !

Rossatron

macrumors 6502a
san Andreas is just a terrible game on pc (control-wise) so i guess it'd be the same on mac. gta3 is really old, so meh. CoD is for people who can't play BF ;)

so, if you ask me -> if you don't mind the limited game life and open-world play, get CoD. if you do - get GTA3.

have you considered max paine 3?

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
None, cannot stand any of them, they are all everything that is wrong with gaming today.

Last edited:

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012

NunoBerny

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
Have decided to buy only one paid game at the moment :-( yeah sad don't wanna spend too much on something which I don't know how much am I gonna enjoy :rolleyes: so…

I know the last one is pretty old but thats ok with me as long as it gives a good gaming experience I am fine with any. I know the most obvious answer coming here will be well, what is your preference do you like war, strategy, thriller games or what ? My answer is the same no preference as long as it is involving and is fun to play no preference really so out of these 3 which one should i go for in priority wise :)

2. Grand Theft Auto - 3

Please suggest People !

Thanks !

Call of Duty 4 MW, clearly. Great game.
GTA 3 is pretty average, by current standards.
GTA San Andreas is not bad, but, as someone said before, it's controls certainly don't help.

----------

2. Grand Theft Auto - 3

Please suggest People !

Thanks !

But...if you want a great game, similar to GTA, I'd advise "MAFIA II Director's Cut".
Truly awesome, if you invest some time into it.
Finished it last week. :)

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I did not care for the premise of GTA:San Andreas- which promotes evil role playing.

Well, so does any RPG under the sun, technically. As long as you are able to seperate fact from fiction I don't see the problem. Although I don't find them appealing either.

OP: I'm playing through Max Payne 3 right now. It's decent, though not as atmospheric as the first two. I also wouldn't get it if you don't have the 2013 rMBP, your graphics card probably wouldn't handle it well.

Personally, I'd skip them all and get The Witcher 2 or Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Though if you want the latter, wait for Feral to release the Director's Cut, it should be soon.

Too bad you just missed the Steam sales...

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Well, so does any RPG under the sun, technically. As long as you are able to seperate fact from fiction I don't see the problem. Although I don't find them appealing either.

OP: I'm playing through Max Payne 3 right now. It's decent, though not as atmospheric as the first two. I also wouldn't get it if you don't have the 2013 rMBP, your graphics card probably wouldn't handle it well.

Personally, I'd skip them all and get The Witcher 2 or Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Though if you want the latter, wait for Feral to release the Director's Cut, it should be soon.

I have the 13 Inch rMBP ! I am not sure if it has a dedicated Graphics Card or not !

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

That's not what I take from the average RPG. Usually your position is one of good, fighting evil. I really detested being a homey whose quests consist of turf wars, heisting and killing anyone who got in my way. Another game I detested was Carmagedon, where the goal is running over pedestrians for points.

On the surface, you can take a game like San Andreas and compare it to Farcry 3 where you are basically doing the same thing in both games, but the motivation is polar opposite, imo. It's a personal opinion and with the whole violence in game discussion, I realize most of us can separate reality from role playing. It's just that I have no desire fantasizing about being a hood.

Last edited:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I have the 13 Inch rMBP ! I am not sure if it has a dedicated Graphics Card or not !

2013 or 2012? If you have the latest you have an iris; last year's is the HD 4000. They are both integrated but there is a big difference between the two.

That's not what I take from the average RPG. Usually your position is one of good, fighting evil.

I realize the motivation aspect. My point was that many RPGs with moral systems (KOTOR, Mass Effect etc) let you be evil. I tend to always be goody-two-shoes even in these games, which is probably why I have no interest in GTA ;)

Last edited:

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
That's not what I take from the average RPG. Usually your position is one of good, fighting evil. I really detested being a homey whose quests consist of turf wars, heisting and killing anyone who got in my way. Another game I detested was Carmagedon, where the goal is running over pedestrians for points.

On the surface, you can take a game like San Andreas and compare it to Farcry 3 where you are basically doing the same thing in both games, but the motivation is polar opposite, imo. It's a personal opinion and with the whole violence in game discussion, I realize most of us can separate reality from role playing. It's just that I have no desire fantasizing about being a hood.

Common sense should be enough to allow sane people to tell fiction from truth, so there is no such danger here. Games are never the problem, although admittedly they can trigger existing ones, sometimes.

As for the RPGs, sorry but you probably never played a real one if you have this impression. A real RPG is all about giving you a choice of developing your character towards good, evil or anything in-between. That was the case of the pen-and-paper RPGs, and also of the cRPGs (computer RPGs) that stayed true to this game genre. After all that's what RPG means; a prefix character would not justify the term. For reference, WoW, Diablo etc are NOT real RPGs.

Now, GTA series used to be good games, with good gameplay lasting plenty of hours. At least as far as the Vice City, where I stopped playing. But they are totally different from a FPS game, so it's mostly a matter of game genre preference rather that good or bad game. Personally I'd choose CoD 4.

Soccer5se

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2011
South Korea
I have all of those games. The best by far is COD. I also have the other two COD games COD 2 and Black Ops. I play Black Ops on my 15' Retina with no problems. I am not sure how well it will run on your 13' Pro. COD has awesome online play. Lots of players still playing. GTA games aren't very good on the mac. You would be better off buying them on the iPad (if you have one)

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
I am still getting suggestions for GTA San Andreas but couple of guys earlier have pointed out that the Controls on it suck ! So looks like everyone has atleast said I can go ahead with COD-Modern Warfare no problems with it. But does it play Ok on Macbook rMBP 13" (I mean the controls and everything) I do also feel still tying the GTA San Andreas or GTA-3 stuff But now I am in double mind with some of the guys earlier not being happy with the controls on San Andreas ! Hmmm….I am confused :confused:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I am still getting suggestions for GTA San Andreas but couple of guys earlier have pointed out that the Controls on it suck ! So looks like everyone has atleast said I can go ahead with COD-Modern Warfare no problems with it. But does it play Ok on Macbook rMBP 13" (I mean the controls and everything)

Sure, as long as you have a mouse.

Another option for a military shooter is Spec Ops: The Line. The story is amazing, although the gameplay isn't as good as COD4.

I have no experience with GTA, but it might be possible to use a controller with it if you have one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.