Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
I've noticed since updating to iOS 7.xx, on both iPads, when I go to add an apostrophe-s ('s), iOS replaces what I type with some nonsense instead, like substituting "it' said" for "it's a".

Is anyone else seeing this? Am I able to remove bad things from the dictionary?

I have done the reset from the settings. It did not change.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I've noticed since updating to iOS 7.xx, on both iPads, when I go to add an apostrophe-s ('s), iOS replaces what I type with some nonsense instead, like substituting "it' said" for "it's a".

Is anyone else seeing this? Am I able to remove bad things from the dictionary?

I have done the reset from the settings. It did not change.

There was already a thread on this. autocorrect butchers We'll and well also.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Mine replaced "Kaitlin" (spelt perfectly) with "Maki toon". I have no idea what that means.

Good luck!

TheKrs1

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
Mine replaced "Kaitlin" (spelt perfectly) with "Maki toon". I have no idea what that means.

Good luck!
Maki = a type of sushi = Valid Word
Toon = Short for cartoon = Valid Word

Try adding Kaitlin to your shortcut list or make sure it's listed as a name in your address book. (Not that it's a solution. iOS should also learn that you use that word once you have manually fixed it a few times).

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

Good luck!

I wonder if there is some kind of auto-correct language bleed. In other words, if you have your language set to English is it possible you may get a autocorrect suggestion in French?

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida

Try adding Kaitlin to your shortcut list or make sure it's listed as a name in your address book. (Not that it's a solution. iOS should also learn that you use that word once you have manually fixed it a few times).

While they may be real words, Kaitlin and Maki toon are completely unrelated and spelled differently. Even if it were to auto-correct Kaitlin, it would/should be to another spelling of the name and not Maki toon.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013

It's so far off still. The letters are different, and those two words don't go together.

I could sort of understand getting "Shevardnadze" from "shev" (trying to spell "shed")... But this is just so far off. Sushi cartoon isn't a likely combination either... ;)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's so far off still. The letters are different, and those two words don't go together.

I could sort of understand getting "Shevardnadze" from "shev" (trying to spell "shed")... But this is just so far off. Sushi cartoon isn't a likely combination either... ;)
Autocorrect must know a lot about Soviet politics. ;)

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
I have the same exact issue with my iPad 2. It butchers punctuation, usually by removing the proper apostrophe and inserting a space, so I have double spaces between words in the middle of sentences.

I miss iOS6 where autocorrect wouldn't try to fix multiple words at a time...

iArch

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
All Over

Is anyone else seeing this?...

Yes. Endlessly. It wasn't a problem before, now an absolute PITA.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Autocorrect must know a lot about Soviet politics. ;)

Certainly more than I did! Had to look that one up. On one hand I'm impressed with the complexity of autocorrect... On the other, I question the likelihood of using some of these words or names, and some of it's choices.

joshforman

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2012
Auto-INcorrect

While they may be real words, Kaitlin and Maki toon are completely unrelated and spelled differently. Even if it were to auto-correct Kaitlin, it would/should be to another spelling of the name and not Maki toon.

Part of the auto-correct algorithm is to not just look at the letters that you typed as most spell checks do, but actually look at what keys are near the ones you pressed that might actually be from the words you're trying to type.

I remember in the original keynote, they showed someone typing "ouzza" and it auto corrected to "pizza"

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I feel as if it's gotten worse with iOS 7.

Now it will correct a word prior to the word I'm typing making both incorrect. It's rare so I can't show an example but it still has the previous issues of iOS 6 plus new ones.

I have found cleaning the dictionary on occasion helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.