Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cutter74

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
While (impatiently) waiting for my two brand new Dell U2414H monitors to arrive, I started thinking about something that I might have missed before. I was planning on connecting the mini with the first monitor with a miniDP to DP cable and daisy chain the first ti the second monitor to extend or mirror the displays.
Is this supported on the late 2012 Mini?
I'd appreciate a fast response if anybody knows, since I might have to cancel my order depending on what is supported with my configuration. Thanks for your time.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
... daisy chain the first ti the second monitor to extend or mirror the displays.
Is this supported on the late 2012 Mini?

It's not supported on any Mac unless you're using Thunderbolt displays.

cutter74

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Not the reply I was hoping for but thank you for your quick response. I thought I had read that daisy chaining through miniDP was supported in monitors with DP1.2. Since the U2414H support DP1.2 I was hoping to daisy chain this way.

By the way, I won't have problems extending my desktop if I connect one monitor via miniDP and the other via HDMI, right?

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Not the reply I was hoping for but thank you for your quick response. I thought I had read that daisy chaining through miniDP was supported in monitors with DP1.2. Since the U2414H support DP1.2 I was hoping to daisy chain this way.

Yes but thunderbolt 1 uses displayport 1.1. It isn't until thunderbolt 2 that displayport was upgraded to 1.2. And the only macs to have tb2 are the 2013 MacBook pros and 2013 Mac Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.