Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Have you guys seen this?

Screenshots from the new TouchWiz UI that I suppose will be available in the SGS5. It still feels cartoonish to me, but at last we have a redesign.

Seems like the SGS5 will be a powerhouse:

- 5.2 1440P Super AMOLED display.
- Snapdragon 800 or 805 + Adreno 330 or 340 / Exynoss on the other version.
- 3GB RAM (obviously, since it needs it to run TouchWiz without problems).
- 32GB storage (because of TouchWiz again. Remember the SGS4 only came with 8GB free or so).
- 3000 battery.
- 16Mpx ISOCELL camera with 4K recording and 60fps probably.
- Android 4.4 with new TouchWiz Magazine UI.
- External SD card.
- NFC, Wi-Fi a/b/g/n, BT 4.0.
- Faux lether back just like the new Samsung devices (Note 3 and the new tablets).
- New multitasking capacitive button instead of the old menu one.

Seems like a very good package, but still don't quite like TouchWiz, but I bet that 16Mpx ISOCELL camera will be awesome.

Do you guys like the new UI? I bet it's real. It's got Samsung style written all over it.

subir fotos a internet

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Samsung should really go the moto x route instead. The galaxy s4 software feels so heavy and bloated. The 1440p is a complete waste as well. Heck I have no problems with the non pentile 720p screen in my new moto x. So much better than the pentile screen in my galaxy nexus.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Looks like Sammy is listening to us and slimming down TW.

I was going to upgrade to the GN3, but I think I'll just pick up the Galaxy S5.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Samsung should really go the moto x route instead. The galaxy s4 software feels so heavy and bloated. The 1440p is a complete waste as well. Heck I have no problems with the non pentile 720p screen in my new moto x. So much better than the pentile screen in my galaxy nexus.

I'm sure there will be a big difference in screen quality. Everyone thought 1080p screens would be a waste, but there is a very noticeable difference between that and 720

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
I think there will be two homescreen options, just like on my SGS3 or SGS4 and such.

One will be the traditional android homescreen and the other one the Magazine one (you can see the icon on the screenshots). I bet it's gonna be like blinkfeed.

It's the same as the magazine homescreen on the new Samsung tablets.

That will take up a lot of RAM.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I think there will be two homescreen options, just like on my SGS3 or SGS4 and such.

One will be the traditional android homescreen and the other one the Magazine one (you can see the icon on the screenshots). I bet it's gonna be like blinkfeed.

It's the same as the magazine homescreen on the new Samsung tablets.

That will take up a lot of RAM.

Yes, it probably will. I like to see what Note 3 users are usually hovering around in RAM usage. When I was using a Note 10.1 (2014), my RAM usage would hover around 1.7-1.8 GB right after boot up and push past 2 GB with light use. I realize it's far from a perfect comparison but the new S5 will be pushing nearly the same amount of pixels. I think the new Magazine UX is an improvement, at least from a design standpoint. Let's hope Samsung was able to slim TW down a bit in the process.

Too big for my tastes but certainly another powerhouse from Samsung. Should be interesting.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
While the UI is quite improved, keep in mind it is still quite a different skin compared to stock android, meaning good luck with fast upgrades.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Yes, it probably will. I like to see what Note 3 users are usually hovering around in RAM usage. When I was using a Note 10.1 (2014), my RAM usage would hover around 1.7-1.8 GB right after boot up and push past 2 GB with light use. I realize it's far from a perfect comparison but the new S5 will be pushing nearly the same amount of pixels. I think the new Magazine UX is an improvement, at least from a design standpoint. Let's hope Samsung was able to slim TW down a bit in the process.

Too big for my tastes but certainly another powerhouse from Samsung. Should be interesting.

Yeah. Touchwiz uses so much ram on the Note 3. My nexus and moto x on kit kat hover around 300-500 mb of ram used most of the time while my friends note 3 is always above 1gb, usually around 1.5-1.7.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Looks like Sammy is listening to us and slimming down TW.

I was going to upgrade to the GN3, but I think I'll just pick up the Galaxy S5.

I wouldn't be so sure. If it was so concerned about trimming the fat, I think they would have got away with 2gb ram. Seems to me when Sammy throw more ram at something it's usually because they haven't optimised anything.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I wouldn't be so sure. If it was so concerned about trimming the fat, I think they would have got away with 2gb ram. Seems to me when Sammy throw more ram at something it's usually because they haven't optimised anything.

You have a great point...... I would love to see one and run through the menus and test the UI experience. But Samsung does themselves no favor by building great hardware and slow it down with useless options and a heavy UI.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Nothing looks like ios7... he's just regurgitating apple fanboy garbage.

Can we drop all the fanboy name calling in this section it's getting so old. If you disagree with a poster or suspect they may be trolling then at least try to enunciate that with a bit of eloquence thereby 'rising above it' rather than just throwing out fanboy name calling which adds nothing to the thread either.

This is a request to all posters and all threads in the alternatives section.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
I hope those icons for Phone, Messages and Internet aren't real. They look worse than iOS 7's icons.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
If the content is in 1440 there will be a difference. Same way 4k TVs looks so much better than 1080

4k looks better on tv's because of the size. On a 5 inch screen 1080p vs 1440p makes zero difference. Samsung should stick with the 1080p and give the S5 a non pentile arrangement instead.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I see iOS 7 all over that.

They now have their own magazine app too, like Google.

Up to their usual stuff as always. :rolleyes:

I see their S Health app takes after Nike+ Move too. The widget reminded me of it anyway.

nike_move_phone.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.