Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
London
Just noticed and have done a complete restore on 3 devices that 7.1 Beta 3 after a reboot disables Auto-Brightness and you have to turn it back on every time you restart your phone.

Confirmed on 2 iPhone 5's and 1 5s all experiencing the same behaviour (issue wasn't there in 7.1 Beta 2)

If anyone has a solution please share :D

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Just noticed and have done a complete restore on 3 devices that 7.1 Beta 3 after a reboot disables Auto-Brightness and you have to turn it back on every time you restart your phone.

Confirmed on 2 iPhone 5's and 1 5s all experiencing the same behaviour (issue wasn't there in 7.1 Beta 2)

If anyone has a solution please share :D

I hope you're submitting bug reports to Apple.

nhborn57

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2007
New England
Just rebooted both iPhone 5's and I cannot reproduce your bug. Auto-brightness is on and working fine. Sorry. Also, when I restored, I setup the phones as new, didn't restore from a backup.

Last edited:

fardeenah

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
yes its disabled on my 4s after a reboot, kinda annoying. together with the apps you purchased not showing up in app store app

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
I noticed my Auto Brightness was off on my 5S. I just upgraded from B2 to B3. I rebooted my phone by holding home and sleep button and auto brightness stayed on. I did the slide to power off and turned it back on and auto brightness is off..

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Even if you just make the motion to shut it down, but cancel without sliding, it disables auto brightness.

Honestly, this isn't the worst bug iOS has ever had. :)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I noticed my Auto Brightness was off on my 5S. I just upgraded from B2 to B3. I rebooted my phone by holding home and sleep button and auto brightness stayed on. I did the slide to power off and turned it back on and auto brightness is off..
Yeah, seems like resetting (using the lock and home buttons together) doesn't affect it, while shutting down and starting up again (just using the lock button and the power off slider) actually disables the auto-brightness setting for some reason.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
Yeah, seems like resetting (using the lock and home buttons together) doesn't affect it, while shutting down and starting up again (just using the lock button and the power off slider) actually disables the auto-brightness setting for some reason.

It is something to do with the new "slide to power off" screen.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It is something to do with the new "slide to power off" screen.
Why do you think that's related to a visual redesign of a page (given that it's really just a visual change and functionally not much would have needed to change for it)? I mean there can certainly be something there, but it can just as easily (if not more so) be related to something else.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Just restored to 7.0.4 for this bug!
Really? Just because when you shutdown and restart (not even when you reset)--which the vast majority would rarely do to begin with--you might need to just simply quickly re-enable it?

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
Why do you think that's related to a visual redesign of a page (given that it's really just a visual change and functionally not much would have needed to change for it)? I mean there can certainly be something there, but it can just as easily (if not more so) be related to something else.

Might be something to do with the sliding bar fading out the screen. Give it a try. Sometimes you don't even have to reboot the phone for the auto brightness to shut off. Just bringing up this screen does it. I couldn't consistently produce it, but it did do it sometimes without actually powering off.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Might be something to do with the sliding bar fading out the screen. Give it a try. Sometimes you don't even have to reboot the phone for the auto brightness to shut off. Just bringing up this screen does it. I couldn't consistently produce it, but it did do it sometimes without actually powering off.
Interesting, in a strange way...if that's the case, then, yeah, it could certainly be related to that.

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I just filed a bug report in Apple's developer bug portal. They don't give much feedback, but they will mark it as new, dupe, known issue, etc when they get to it.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Definitely related to the brightness fade when turning off the phone. Probably temporarily disables it and forgets to turn in it back on after. No biggie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.