Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
A person bought replacement charger for his Macbook (I don't know the model) and he says that after using it a while the battery has become swollen. Now I think many would use the basic formula that chargers other than Apple made are bad but has anyone experienced similar thing where replacement charger is the one to blame? There are numerous cases where original charger has been used but battery has became swollen anyways.

Official explanation by Apple is that swelling is protection mechanism (which sounds like BS) and usually I think battery is the one to blame (as original chargers have been used and chargers still work after this).

I'm interesred to know your experience (not just opinions like expensive = good, cheap = bad) as I use a charger bought from same seller as this which is now blamed to damage batteries. I don't know how old his Macbook and battery is, my battery has over thousand cycles and still works great, even with this cheap charger. 2007 model.

Edit: and excuse my english, swollen, swelling, dunno how I should write that :)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Not most, but many Apple batteries will swell near the end of their useful lives, even if you use Apple batteries and Apple MagSafe adapters. It's better that the battery swells than having it explode. The charger doesn't cause the battery to swell.

Having said that, I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery or charger, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoffs". Also, there is no assurance that non-Apple components will have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board. Apple has not licensed its MagSafe adapter technology to any 3rd party. It's not worth risking your Mac to save a small amount of money.
The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
It would nice to know the specs of his battery, I told him how to check them but it could be that he is not that interested in tech stuff and he will simply think that since problems appeared relatively shortly after new charger it must be it. Then again previous charger apparently had failed because he needed new one, was it original or replacement, who knows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.