PDA

View Full Version : Is an iBook G4 price drop in January something we should expect?




JimmyDTU
Dec 27, 2005, 09:25 PM
A lot of people are asking whether they should wait to purchase the new Intel iBooks, but I don't really think that's the way I want to go. I really want to know if a price drop in the current iBooks can be expected after the new (tentatively speaking) ones are announced? I missed out on Amazon's fire sale that brought them under $800 earlier in the month, and I'm kicking myself. But I need a new laptop and the iBook 12" is the way I want to go. Should I buy now or wait two weeks for a potential price drop? thanks



TheMasin9
Dec 27, 2005, 10:07 PM
A lot of people are asking whether they should wait to purchase the new Intel iBooks, but I don't really think that's the way I want to go. I really want to know if a price drop in the current iBooks can be expected after the new (tentatively speaking) ones are announced? I missed out on Amazon's fire sale that brought them under $800 earlier in the month, and I'm kicking myself. But I need a new laptop and the iBook 12" is the way I want to go. Should I buy now or wait two weeks for a potential price drop? thanks
any remaining g4 ibooks will prolly go onto the apple sale page or be sold as refubs.

applekid
Dec 27, 2005, 10:22 PM
I wonder if Apple will sell a PPC-based machine when the iBooks go Intel like they have with the PowerMac G5's: There's that one G5 model with PCI-X and AGP instead of PCI-Express. There's also the OS X and OS 9 bootable PowerMac G4 MDD's from a while back, too. MWSF can't come any faster... :)

~Shard~
Dec 27, 2005, 10:32 PM
I think that regardless of the details, once the new iBooks are announced at MWSF the existing PPC ones will indeed go on sale. I would say wait.

Sun Baked
Dec 27, 2005, 10:55 PM
I wonder if Apple will sell a PPC-based machine when the iBooks go Intel like they have with the PowerMac G5's: There's that one G5 model with PCI-X and AGP instead of PCI-Express. There's also the OS X and OS 9 bootable PowerMac G4 MDD's from a while back, too. MWSF can't come any faster... :)The PowerBook "may" continue on for awhile -- they just put a new chipset in it, and didn't in any other G4 machine.

So a slight chance that either Apple intends it to stay as the legacy G4 -- either that, or Freescale screwed up.

Problem is, the likelyhood of Freescale molesting the pooch is higher than Apple redesigning a machine and manufacturing an all new PowerBook just for legacy purposes.

alexstein
Dec 27, 2005, 11:04 PM
A lot of people are asking whether they should wait to purchase the new Intel iBooks, but I don't really think that's the way I want to go. I really want to know if a price drop in the current iBooks can be expected after the new (tentatively speaking) ones are announced? I missed out on Amazon's fire sale that brought them under $800 earlier in the month, and I'm kicking myself. But I need a new laptop and the iBook 12" is the way I want to go. Should I buy now or wait two weeks for a potential price drop? thanks

I would wait another two or three weeks and see what Apple is releasing on MWSF. If they really do start shipping Intel based iBooks you might be in luck to pick up a PPC iBook for a discounted price. Nothing is for certain right know. Like I said I would wait it out.

~Shard~
Dec 27, 2005, 11:06 PM
I would wait another two or three weeks and see what Apple is releasing on MWSF. If they really do start shipping Intel based iBooks you might be in luck to pick up a PPC iBook for a discounted price. Nothing is for certain right know. Like I said I would wait it out.

Exactly. If it was a few months, I would say just go for it, but with MWSF just around the corner, it only make sense to wait a couple more weeks.

mjstew33
Dec 27, 2005, 11:20 PM
Definitely wait. or, buy a refurb now, if they have one. The iBooks probably won't go lower than what teh refurbs are now...

bodeh6
Dec 27, 2005, 11:25 PM
its only 2 weeks. I would just wait.

OldCorpse
Dec 28, 2005, 12:03 AM
its only 2 weeks. I would just wait.

Another vote for wait. I got on the Amazon deal, but remember, that included a $100 mail-in rebate, on which I'll have to wait 8-10 weeks. I can't see the price of the current ibook going up so the only direction it can go is down if you wait. Worst case, it'll be the same price. And you won't have to wait that long... another 2 weeks till announcement :) .

sw1tcher
Dec 28, 2005, 12:06 AM
With only 2 weeks left before MWSF, there's no reason not to wait... unless you absolutely need one right now.

I'm waiting to see what happens. If nothing, then I'm getting a refurb 15" PB for school.

dirtskier
Dec 28, 2005, 01:27 AM
With only 2 weeks left before MWSF, there's no reason not to wait... unless you absolutely need one right now.

I'm waiting to see what happens. If nothing, then I'm getting a refurb 15" PB for school.


I'm defanately interested in the powerbook. new ibooks would likely bump up to 1.5 GHz, thus equaling the 12"pb. any sellers still selling them would likely have to drop the price to clear out what they have (unless apple's crippling of the iBook is bad enough to make a difference )

~Shard~
Dec 28, 2005, 01:30 AM
I'm defanately interested in the powerbook. new ibooks would likely bump up to 1.5 GHz, thus equaling the 12"pb. any sellers still selling them would likely have to drop the price to clear out what they have (unless apple's crippling of the iBook is bad enough to make a difference )

Scenario #1 is that the iBooks essentially become the current PowerBooks in terms of specs, while the PowerBooks adopt Yonah.

Scenario #2 is that the iBooks adopt Yonah right off the bat, and it is announced that PowerBooks will adopt Yonah as well in a couple months when the performance version is available.

No matter which way things work, Apple's portable solutions are finally going to get the boost they have needed for a long time!

EricNau
Dec 28, 2005, 01:54 AM
Will the new intel iBooks be cheaper than the current PPC iBooks? (as of now)

sw1tcher
Dec 28, 2005, 03:42 AM
Will the new intel iBooks be cheaper than the current PPC iBooks? (as of now)

I personally don't think they will be. Apple will probably just offer them with better specs to justify the same (or slightly higher) prices.

I'm thinking we'll see things like:

widescreen (and higher res.) displays, larger HDDs, better GPUs, new slicker enclosure, etc.

BlizzardBomb
Dec 28, 2005, 03:50 AM
Will the new intel iBooks be cheaper than the current PPC iBooks? (as of now)

Apple tend to add features instead of changing the price during an upgrade.

generik
Dec 28, 2005, 06:40 AM
If you need it now buy it, why wait? Just imagine yourself being able to enjoy your new Mac 2 weeks earlier! :D

alexstein
Dec 28, 2005, 07:00 AM
I personally don't think they will be. Apple will probably just offer them with better specs to justify the same (or slightly higher) prices.

I'm thinking we'll see things like:

widescreen (and higher res.) displays, larger HDDs, better GPUs, new slicker enclosure, etc.


That's what I was thinking as well, with all new hardware and possibly brand spanking new processors there might be just a little increase in price rather than a price drop

JimmyDTU
Dec 28, 2005, 08:55 AM
Thanks a lot everyone, you've been a big help.

Follow-up question...
Can anyone justify to me that buying a refurb from Apple is a good idea? I just don't know how I feel about it, but I'm not really against it. I guess where I'm going is asking if anyone else has ever bought a refurb and how it turned out for them.

mdavey
Dec 28, 2005, 09:32 AM
Can anyone justify to me that buying a refurb from Apple is a good idea? I just don't know how I feel about it, but I'm not really against it.for them.

I haven't yet, but I would certainly consider it. I guess it depends on the price difference between the Apple refurb store and Ebay.

With the Apple refurb store, you know that you are going to get a pristine Apple that has been soak-tested, has a known history (isn't bootleg) and comes with a warranty. You can even get AppleCare support. They typically seem to be offered for around 20% off the full retail price.

Of course, with Ebay you take your chances but depending on the model and age, the price difference might be significant. Interestingly, some Apple Macs sell for more on Ebay than they do from the refurb site. I have bought computers off Ebay several times but wouldn't buy my main computer from there (I can afford to be without one of my additional computers for a time).

DinoMac
Dec 28, 2005, 10:16 AM
Hi All, Newb here ...

Thought I would post my question in here since it is somewhat related to this thread.

I want to buy a new Powerbook g4 laptop, and I was wondering if you think that price will drop on those in the next month?
Or is it only the iBook that the price will drop because of the new intel chip?

~Shard~
Dec 28, 2005, 10:19 AM
Hi All, Newb here ...

Thought I would post my question in here since it is somewhat related to this thread.

I want to buy a new Powerbook g4 laptop, and I was wondering if you think that price will drop on those in the next month?
Or is it only the iBook that the price will drop because of the new intel chip?

PowerBooks are just around the corner as well. The only question is will they receive this first batch of dual core Yonah chips immediately, or will Apple wait to update the line until the performance version is released a couple months later. So, I don't know if the price will drop in the next month, but it definitely will one way or the other in the next few months. I would wait until MWSF, see what Jobs says, and go from there. :cool: