Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amychinchilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2014
Hello!

So I really want to update my system from Mountain Lion to Mavericks, but I'm afraid to do so because of the bad reviews.

I'm on the white, unibody Macbook (mid-2010), is the upgrade worth it?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    83.5 KB · Views: 364

allthingsapple

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2013
Hello!

So I really want to update my system from Mountain Lion to Mavericks, but I'm afraid to do so because of the bad reviews.

I'm on the white, unibody Macbook (mid-2010), is the upgrade worth it?

I have the same Macbook as you the mid 2010 model and it runs Mavericks flawlessly. It seems more responsive than Lion 10.7 and is well worth upgrading as the battery life improves slightly too. I got 4 hours out of my MacBooks battery in Lion, but under mavericks i get at least 5.5 hours on a full charge with the original battery.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Mavericks runs fine on my unibody late-2009 white. However, I upgraded to 8GB ram and a SSD when still in Snow Leopard (both aren't really necessary). Comparing to Snow Leopard, Mavericks provides better battery life. If you're a developer or have a Crossover license, check if you have licenses that support 10.9. For example, nVidia CUDA drivers doesn't work with 9400m + Mavericks.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
2GB of RAM is the bare minimum Mavericks will install under. That is really cutting it close especially on any OS after Snow Leopard! Right now I am using 2.71 GB of RAM out of 16 GB just having Google Chrome and Spotify open under 10.7.5. RAM usage in Mavericks is slightly better however.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.