Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jess13

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
Hey,

I own iPhone 5, iOS 7. I might get iPhone 5s. I own MacBook Pro, Mavericks.

I have a few apps in my iPhone 5 that I want to transfer to my newer iPhone when I get it. Namely, camera app Luma. It was removed from the app store when bought by Instagram, no longer available. I use it for its recording stabilization feature. Also other things, iMessage convos, etc.

What is the process of copying all data / apps from iPhone 5 to use in iPhone 5s? Simply use iTunes to back up all data? Or is there a specific program required to copy the entire phone?

Thank you.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Hey,

I own iPhone 5, iOS 7. I might get iPhone 5s. I own MacBook Pro, Mavericks.

I have a few apps in my iPhone 5 that I want to transfer to my newer iPhone when I get it. Namely, camera app Luma. It was removed from the app store when bought by Instagram, no longer available. I use it for its recording stabilization feature. Also other things, iMessage convos, etc.

What is the process of copying all data / apps from iPhone 5 to use in iPhone 5s? Simply use iTunes to back up all data? Or is there a specific program required to copy the entire phone?

Thank you.

IF you downloaded any of those apps with iTunes on your PC the .ipa files should still be there and you should be able to reinstall them still. the path is iTunes/Media/Mobileapplications (doing this by memory so I may have missed it)

navodwickra

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2013
Leeds, UK
Backup up your iphone 5 and remember to backup apps too. I also have couple of apps which are not in apps store anymore and backing it up to my mac preserve them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.