Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peteo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
This is really starting to drive me Crazy!
Why the Heck doesn't Apple open an app store for apple tv?
Put a 64bit A7 in the apple tv, add an app store. add support for bluetooth controller + iOS controller app= DESTROY the console industry
Its so obvious but it does not seem like they want to pull the trigger :confused:

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
you need a new router then

making the apple TV closer to a console will make it cost too close to real game consoles without the value

xbox360 and PS3 are like $199 now and do a lot more than the apple TV would at a higher price point

peteo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
you need a new router then

No this is a case on all routers, apple needs to improve airplay. even using with a iPad/iphone using HDMI out has lag, looks like there's theres an "issue" with video converting

making the apple TV closer to a console will make it cost too close to real game consoles without the value

xbox360 and PS3 are like $199 now and do a lot more than the apple TV would at a higher price point

Cost could still be $99. the A7 chip does not cost much (rumored to cost $19)
they could raise the price to $129 and i doubt anyone would flinch

Last edited:

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
This is really starting to drive me Crazy!
Why the Heck doesn't Apple open an app store for apple tv?
Put a 64bit A7 in the apple tv, add an app store. add support for bluetooth controller + iOS controller app= DESTROY the console industry
Its so obvious but it does not seem like they want to pull the trigger :confused:

An iOS controller app wouldn't work very well. It's one thing using touch controls on a screen you're looking at, but using touch controls on one screen while looking at another doesn't work well at all. You could use gestures rather than buttons, but it's still a limited solution.

A physical controller would work better, but there's still the problem that controller support is limited and iOS apps would need to be modified to work on a TV. There's no guarantee a Retina-supporting app would look good - or even be legible - on a HDTV.

To be honest, I reckon Apple is very much going in this direction - and the new controller support is part of this move - but they're taking their time. They don't just want to release an App Store, and count on app developers making it a viable solution.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
No this is a case on all routers, apple needs to improve airplay. even using with a iPad/iphone using HDMI out has lag, looks like there's theres an "issue" with video converting

Cost could still be $99. the A7 chip does not cost much (rumored to cost $19)
they could raise the price to $129 and i doubt anyone would flinch

what about storage? PS4 and xbox both come with hundreds of GB of storage to hold the games. and then you need a controller and RAM.

apple can probably make an apple tv similar to the last gen consoles for $199, but the quality of the games won't be as good and the consoles still have more features for that price

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
What else could an App Store offer aside from games to make it worthwhile?

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
It's due for a major reboot soon. The mess of channels is getting to be, well, a mess. An app store is bound to be in the plans.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I couldn't imagine 1 million+ apps for my phone, yet they are there on the store.

I'm asking what other functionality could be added with an App Store because I don't know.

----------

Applications such as Plex and XBMC without the current workarounds.

Makes sense, thanks. Is that really it though? Why not just add those things to the current channel line up?

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Seeing as it hasn't been updated in 3 years I'm sure the next update is going to be pretty big. My best guess is that it will be announced alongside iOS 8 this summer.

MPL

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2013
I
Makes sense, thanks. Is that really it though? Why not just add those things to the current channel line up?
Those are, I believe, the most requested ones. XBMC alone is why people want to jailbreak their devices.

The thing is, they make iTunes meaningless for those who just want a Apple TV to stream their own content, so I'm guessing that's why Apple won't even consider it.

Mac.Matt

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2014
Australia
I'm asking what other functionality could be added with an App Store because I don't know.

This is the question Apple doesn't need to answer (...yet?), this question will be up to developers to answer. Just as the iPhone is doing so amazing and incredible things SJ & co could not have dreamed of 7 years ago, so will the Apple TV in (x) amount of time.

I believe wholeheartedly that Apple should open the Apple TV to developers via an App Store and first look to gaming as the new killer app!

The guys above are right in thinking the A7 + 16Gb (maybe 32GB) up from the now 8GB would be prefect for a 1st Apple TV / app store unit.

If (and I think when) it happens, look to Nintendo to port games over almost instantly.

EDIT: No doubt those MFi Controllers with work with Apple TV.

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
why i think its pointless for the apple tv to have an app store its like the xbox 1 and ps4 people want them to do everything but my thing they try to do everything and in the end they dont do it very well all my thing is have dedicated boxes for what people need i know it takes more room but then each machine will do what they are designed for better

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
My guess, contracts. It's taken years to get only a handful of content providers to sign on, and even then, not without security. The most obvious and popular apps would give people the freedom to bypass these providers.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Because the current ATV can't handle an App Store??? As I recall the channels on the ATV are not "real" apps. Like they are on other iOS devices.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011

This is the question Apple doesn't need to answer (...yet?), this question will be up to developers to answer. Just as the iPhone is doing so amazing and incredible things SJ & co could not have dreamed of 7 years ago, so will the Apple TV in (x) amount of time.

I believe wholeheartedly that Apple should open the Apple TV to developers via an App Store and first look to gaming as the new killer app!

The guys above are right in thinking the A7 + 16Gb (maybe 32GB) up from the now 8GB would be prefect for a 1st Apple TV / app store unit.

If (and I think when) it happens, look to Nintendo to port games over almost instantly.

Nintendo? Not a chance. The WiiU may be flopping hard, but the 3DS is doing decently enough. And as long as they have hardware to sell, their games will be sold exclusively on them.

EDIT: No doubt those MFi Controllers with work with Apple TV.
Thus far all MFi controllers connect via the lightning port.

----------

Because the current ATV can't handle an App Store??? As I recall the channels on the ATV are not "real" apps. Like they are on other iOS devices.

The iPhone originally couldn't run "real" apps either. The app store was introduced in iOS 2.0 a year later.

Last edited:

MPL

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2013
those are associated with piracy and the small percentage of people who are digital hoarders
That's a unfair assessment. Outside the US and the UK local copyright issues prevent the availability of streaming services like Hulu and Netflix hence Apple TV's main propose is to play media from the user's local library. In that respect, Plex and XBMC offer much more flexibility than iTunes, so yes, the addition of such apps as part of dedicated app store would be more than justified and for the most part, welcomed.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
They have an SDK for AppleTV, but they only give it to partners. Once the actual AppleTV project is launched you can bet your ass it's going to be opened to developers within a generation.

Looks for a new type of experience where phones, tablets, and watches become a new type of interaction with your TV. I'm not talking second screen gimmicks here

;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.