PDA

View Full Version : The Yonah benchmarks look promising for upcoming "Mactel" ...

MacBytes
Dec 28, 2005, 08:33 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: The Yonah benchmarks look promising for upcoming "Mactel" systems (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20051228093310)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Lacero
Dec 28, 2005, 08:37 AM
Yonah running at 2.16 Ghz?

Still haven't broken the 3.0 Ghz barrier even after changing chip platforms. This is ridiculous. Steve is looking like a bigger and bigger idiot with each passing month.

Here's to the Crazy Ones http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35452 (http://www.uriah.com/apple-qt/movies/think-different.mov)

simie
Dec 28, 2005, 09:42 AM

Still haven't broken the 3.0 Ghz barrier even after changing chip platforms. This is ridiculous. Steve is looking like a bigger and bigger idiot with each passing month.

Here's to the Crazy Ones http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35452 (http://www.uriah.com/apple-qt/movies/think-different.mov)

Why should Apple bother with Yonah, when Merom CPU's are only 12 months away, after all Meroms going to be 20 to 30% better.

I wonder if Yonah will be in the replacement for the iBook.

toneloco2881
Dec 28, 2005, 10:55 AM
Why should Apple bother with Yonah, when Merom CPU's are only 12 months away, after all Meroms going to be 20 to 30% better.

That's the same as asking why ANY pc manufacturer would bother with yonah? We're in x86 land where there are far more frequent upgrades than Apple customers are traditionally used to. Plus, merom is rumored to be a drop-in replacement for yonah, and its TDP is lower so it's not like Apple is going to have to design a new chassis. Count on yonah powerbooks for january.

mklos
Dec 28, 2005, 11:18 AM

I think Apple (Steve) was referring to the desktop CPU's not mobile CPU's when they made the 3 GHz statement. PowerMacs will debut at over 3 GHz. The problem with the G5 for laptops is that they created way too much heat and used too much power, so it would never work in a mobile environment. Check your facts and quotes before you call people idiots!!! Obviously, Apple was going no where with Motorola (freescale), and IBM, so switching to Intel was probably the best thing Apple could possibly do.

Remember that Steve is the person that took Apple from hundreds of millions of dollars in debt to Billions in the bank. He only created the most popular MP3 player in the world and made Apple, the #3 computer reseller in the world... But yeah, Steve's an idiot and has no idea what he's doing!!!

Peace
Dec 28, 2005, 11:21 AM
I think Apple (Steve) was referring to the desktop CPU's not mobile CPU's when they made the 3 GHz statement. PowerMacs will debut at over 3 GHz. The problem with the G5 for laptops is that they created way too much heat and used too much power, so it would never work in a mobile environment. Check your facts and quotes before you call people idiots!!! Obviously, Apple was going no where with Motorola (freescale), and IBM, so switching to Intel was probably the best thing Apple could possibly do.

Remember that Steve is the person that took Apple from hundreds of millions of dollars in debt to Billions in the bank. He only created the most popular MP3 player in the world and made Apple, the #3 computer reseller in the world... But yeah, Steve's an idiot and has no idea what he's doing!!!

How will Powermacs debut at over 3 Ghz?

mklos
Dec 28, 2005, 11:25 AM
How will Powermacs debut at over 3 Ghz?

They will be using a new Dual Core 3+ GHz Processor that hasn't even come out yet. If they wanted to, they could use the current line up of Pentium 4 processors, which run up to 3.8 GHz, which I highly doubt they'll do.

jefhatfield
Dec 28, 2005, 11:50 AM

looking at macworld*, other mac mags, articles in magazines, newspapers and the like, one can easily see that steve jobs is certainly one who has seen ups and downs more dramatic than most

i could list tons of things i love about apple since sj came back (imacs, ibook, garage band, osx, tibook, and especially ipod) but there are certainly missteps that have been made but it's hardly the fault of one man...apple did lose their lead in education to dell, laptops went from a 17% percent share (in late 1999-early 2000) to 3% where it is now, desktops near 10% (with introduction of blueberry imac) to 2%, the cube and dalmation/flower power macs were not hits, apple kept a relationship with motorola too long before going to ibm, jobs fired a senior vp who banked on search engines and this strange idea of an internet boom (only to have jobs do a backtrack on that one), jobs said apple would never do business with intel and that pentiums were slow, etc

being a techician, computer teacher/tutor, and network engineer in the IT industry and a mac lover is hard at times, and i always get attacked by fellow techies and fellow mba's on why i think apple is so great

apple inc does not always make the best or most profitable business moves and many outside the mac community know this about apple, but at the same time a company obsessed with profits and market share (like microsoft and dell) do not give us, the end user, a product anywhere near what apple can offer us...many a techie and mba, while criticizing steve jobs (like the press loves to do) have macs at home

i am glad that apple focuses on quality and not raw profit

btw...pc laptop in closet, pc desktop in garage...same aged macs still working and at my service :)

*Note: i subscribe to macworld, pc world, and pc magazine, and macworld is far more critical of steve jobs and apple on small mistakes and products that are not perfectly up to the apple standard...while the pc magazines rate those same non perfect macs fairly high and five stars to a great mac above great pc products from alien, sony, and lenovo/ibm

jefhatfield
Dec 28, 2005, 12:06 PM

i know a ton of mac purists who are very angry at the perceived betrayal going to intel

but i think i wouldn't be too focused on clock speed but i would focus on battery times...if intel can deliver, some hard core intel haters in the mac fold will eventually warm up to steve's decision to go "mac-tel" ;)

EGT
Dec 28, 2005, 12:07 PM
i could list tons of things i love about apple since sj came back (imacs, ibook, garage band, osx, tibook, and especially ipod) but there are certainly missteps that have been made but it's hardly the fault of one man...apple did lose their lead in education to dell, laptops went from a 17% percent share (in late 1999-early 2000) to 3% where it is now, desktops near 10% (with introduction of blueberry imac) to 2%, the cube and dalmation/flower power macs were not hits, apple kept a relationship with motorola too long before going to ibm, jobs fired a senior vp who banked on search engines and this strange idea of an internet boom (only to have jobs do a backtrack on that one), jobs said apple would never do business with intel and that pentiums were slow, etc

Steve Jobs likes his bulls**t, it's how he shovels it that's so interesting. :p

I have faith in him, '06 is going to be interesting. :D

jefhatfield
Dec 28, 2005, 12:15 PM
Steve Jobs likes his bulls**t, it's how he shovels it that's so interesting. :p

I have faith in him, '06 is going to be interesting. :D

steve jobs is like two people, all time bullsh**er, who is stupid enough to believe it, and high tech genius and innovator...it's basically which persona he decides to put on in the morning

he's a lot like donald trump, who is like a baseball player batting in a lot of runs for a stretch, then following it with getting struck out at the most crucial times and losing the series, followed by another good run bringing his team from last place to playoff contention the very next year...and it makes things very interesting

in the five+ years i have been on macrumors, i think sj had an all time low in popularity right before the ipod...things were lagging in design and processor improvements, ram offerings, price drops etc...and then this little music thingy you could put in your pocket saw apple lead a category in high tech not seen in a way, at apple, since the apple IIe

the ipod is so great that even sj can't overstate it's greatness :)

SiliconAddict
Dec 28, 2005, 01:09 PM

Dude you are dense. Its a dual core system for a LAPTOP. Of course its not going to run at 3Ghz or if it did it would burn a hole into the center of the Earth. Actually it wouldn't because it's battery life would be all of 20 minutes. If you bothered to even look into what Yonah's current benchmarks are showing us at 2.0Ghz you would see that its keeping up with dual core AMD DESKTOP chips. God I thought only PC users fell for the whole Mhz myth. Read up on what you are responding too\about before you make yourself look like a fool.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core
:rolleyes:

SiliconAddict
Dec 28, 2005, 01:12 PM

They will bother with Yonah because Yonah kickes the snot out of the G4 which is the point of an upgrade. Apple can't afford to wait another 8 months for Merom to show up. The nanosecond they release an x86 iBook PowerBook sales, if there is any at this pont, will tank. The only people buying PowerBooks right now are the ignorant (Of what Apple is about to release), the desperate (They need a new system NOW.), or the PPC fanboi (PPC forever!!!)

EGT
Dec 28, 2005, 01:26 PM
Dude you are dense. Its a dual core system for a LAPTOP. Of course its not going to run at 3Ghz or if it did it would burn a hole into the center of the Earth. Actually it wouldn't because it's battery life would be all of 20 minutes. If you bothered to even look into what Yonah's current benchmarks are showing us at 2.0Ghz you would see that its keeping up with dual core AMD DESKTOP chips. God I thought only PC users fell for the whole Mhz myth. Read up on what you are responding too\about before you make yourself look like a fool.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core
:rolleyes:

Jeeeezzzz. Chill out!

SiliconAddict
Dec 28, 2005, 01:29 PM
i know a ton of mac purists who are very angry at the perceived betrayal going to intel

but i think i wouldn't be too focused on clock speed but i would focus on battery times...if intel can deliver, some hard core intel haters in the mac fold will eventually warm up to steve's decision to go "mac-tel" ;)

Wait. Just wait. The first dual core Yonah's that are benchmarked are going to make Mac user shut up with this anti-intel crap. This is why the first x86 systems can't come soon enough. I'm hoping to see the bitching on MR decrease by a good 60%. I hope.

SiliconAddict
Dec 28, 2005, 01:35 PM
Jeeeezzzz. Chill out!

Its hard to when this crap has been going on for 6 months now. Even though facts to the contrary show that what is about to be released is going to be huge for the Mac platform all we get is people shooting their mouths off with FUD. Every day. Day after day after day. The people who need to chill are the ones bitching about Intel. Apple knows what its doing. Heck I'm not a fanboi and even I'm willing to give Apple the benefit of the doubt.

jefhatfield
Dec 28, 2005, 02:40 PM
Its hard to when this crap has been going on for 6 months now. Even though facts to the contrary show that what is about to be released is going to be huge for the Mac platform all we get is people shooting their mouths off with FUD. Every day. Day after day after day. The people who need to chill are the ones bitching about Intel. Apple knows what its doing. Heck I'm not a fanboi and even I'm willing to give Apple the benefit of the doubt.

i was a techie for five years and i thought i knew about processors and the science behind it, then i entered a phd program in computer engineering at the university of california (too hard ;) ) but discovered most of what we all say here, even among those in the industry, about processors is more akin to a marketing ad for "such and such" processor instead of real science/fact ;)

but i totally agree with you that our mactel with an intel chip should shut up the anti intel stuff i see on this site and other mac sites by 60%...speed? i have enough for me...i just hate being at borders doing homework and have my battery run out on me and have to scramble for the two plugs they have in their coffee bar!! and everybody here in our slow town, middle aged like me on down, now bring in their laptops to do homework/research for some class since the surfing, live music, social events generally sucks here in rural northern california most of the time ;) (that's another thread)

solvs
Dec 28, 2005, 06:54 PM
Dude you are dense.
It's Dudette... I think.

And at this point I can't tell if Lacero is being sarcastic, or pissed that the PowerBooks are slow. Must be a Canadian thing. I'm sure the Yonahs or whatever will be fine. But then, at this point I'm so jaded that I'm easily placated. :p

jefhatfield
Dec 28, 2005, 07:30 PM
It's Dudette... I think.

lacero is female

www.digg.com/users/lacero

vniow
Dec 28, 2005, 07:35 PM
Heh, its funny looking at the dynamics now, people are more clear about my gender at the moment than Lacreo's. I suppose its time to pass the torch...

simie
Dec 28, 2005, 07:40 PM
That's the same as asking why ANY pc manufacturer would bother with yonah? We're in x86 land where there are far more frequent upgrades than Apple customers are traditionally used to. Plus, merom is rumored to be a drop-in replacement for yonah, and its TDP is lower so it's not like Apple is going to have to design a new chassis. Count on yonah powerbooks for january.

I just hope that Apple will build them for performance every-time and not just for profit and hope that they never put a Celeron cpu in the ibook replacement.

jefhatfield
Dec 28, 2005, 07:41 PM
Heh, its funny looking at the dynamics now, people are more clear about my gender at the moment than Lacreo's. I suppose its time to pass the torch...

i do know what you look like...i saw you on tv briefly :)

EGT
Dec 28, 2005, 08:18 PM
lacero is female

Lacero is actually a very intelligent clownfish with a computer and internet access. "She" has the ability to change sex. When "she" feels like it "she" becomes "he" and vice versa. Or maybe "she" is a pregnant seahorse who is actually male and is in some doubt about which sex she(he) actually is.

It doesn't matter of course. :p He can be whoever she wants to be!

(I'm only joking!)

Stella
Dec 28, 2005, 09:38 PM
ROTFL.

Excellent post ( you must be joking, judging from your previous posts this must be humoUr ).

Yonah, considering its a mobile processor gives the recent desktop AMD processors a run for its performance - ref: the anatech article thats been referenced 1,000 times.

jefhatfield
Dec 28, 2005, 11:30 PM
Lacero is actually a very intelligent clownfish with a computer and internet access. "She" has the ability to change sex. When "she" feels like it "she" becomes "he" and vice versa. Or maybe "she" is a pregnant seahorse who is actually male and is in some doubt about which sex she(he) actually is.

It doesn't matter of course. :p He can be whoever she wants to be!

(I'm only joking!)

so he/she plays this dual personality over the internet? as some say, edesignuk/lacero?

shadowfax
Dec 29, 2005, 02:07 AM
so he/she plays this dual personality over the internet? as some say, edesignuk/lacero?
I don't remember edesignuk doing that. I always thought the ones with the really model-looking girls in their avatars just had to be guys... I certainly did that number for a long while.

Squire
Dec 29, 2005, 05:20 AM
While Yonah will make its debut at a maximum speed of 2.16GHz, it will actually only receive a single speed bump before Merom’s release at the end of the year. (Merom is expected to be a completely revamped dual-core product for laptops with low power consumption but 20-30 percent better performance than that of its predecessors.) That means that we’ll see a 2.33GHz Yonah after the middle of the year, but we’ll have to turn to Merom to get any higher clock speeds. (This is one reason I expect to see PowerBooks using Merom rather than Yonah.)

It sounds like that roadmap will fit right in with the "regular" Apple updates. :rolleyes:

Squire

mainstreetmark
Dec 29, 2005, 08:13 AM
he's a lot like donald trump, who is like a baseball player batting in a lot of runs for a stretch, then following it with getting struck out at the most crucial times and losing the series, followed by another good run bringing his team from last place to playoff contention the very next year...and it makes things very interesting

Steve Jobs is like Donald Trump who is like a baseball player.

A double simile. Interesting, indeed!

thequicksilver
Dec 29, 2005, 09:15 AM
I like the sound of this. The move to Intel is going to mean a lot of things to Apple, but the main one is going to be notebooks which are finally competitive with their PC counterparts on speed, while retaining their traditional design advantage.

The sooner they come, the better, especially if the rumours of an Altivec translator for Rosetta are true.

jefhatfield
Dec 29, 2005, 10:35 AM
I don't remember edesignuk doing that. I always thought the ones with the really model-looking girls in their avatars just had to be guys... I certainly did that number for a long while.

i remember your avatars...lots of people thought you were her and your name did not obviously indicate you were a male

if someone has a name like truckerbob101 or something like that and they have a picture of a ramp model, then it's obvious that the avatar is just a picture

of course, anything can happen and it's possible for that ramp model to be the actual person posting and truckerbob101 could be an internet handle...i am neither jef nor hatfield, since it's just a name i use

edesign is moderator and maybe he does his mod work as edesign and personal posts as lacero and the picture of the girl could be his daughter, girlfriend, sister, or roomate...he certainly has posted enough over the years for people to think he would only post as edesign

thinking about all those old shadowfax avatars certainly raises the question of who some of the people we have seen here for years really are

i assure you, i am who i claim to be, over the last five years as (pc techie, network techie, mac techie, gardener, tutor, cs student, business student, law student, guitar player, conservative democrat, liberal democrat, etc etc) and my lack of interest in any one thing and my over the average age for this forum makes it look like i have done a gazillion things, but that's because i get bored too easily...a rolling stone gathers no moss ;)

ok, i did have a stint as jhatfield, or juliana hatfield, the underground musician, but that's because i love her music a lot and want to evangelize

except for the name what i post is me and usually my gripes or praises of apple, and sometimes political stuff it that forum, and i don't like using my real name though many here have, so it's just my personal preference

-dan, aka jefhatfied

btw...you aren't that girl in your old avatars, right?

jefhatfield
Dec 29, 2005, 10:56 AM
being a techie, i see few women in the field and as time has gone on i see fewer and fewer (maybe they are smarter than the men having seen the dot.bomb phenomenon and went to more lucrative and safer fields), and one techie poster here is ubergeek, a techie in every way, who i thought was a guy

since i was in high school up until now 25 years later, the number of women entering the computer science majors has dropped 400% in the percentage of any given entering freshman class in that field, so increasingly i see fewer females techies in the field

but over the years, seeing the posts, i realized that ubergeek, the geek techie, was a girl/woman

i also have had a lot of confusion over vniow, who used to be called edvniow in the early days

shadowfax
Dec 29, 2005, 11:37 AM
btw...you aren't that girl in your old avatars, right?
sorry to disappoint... (http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19091)

Flowbee
Dec 29, 2005, 12:51 PM
lacero is female

The girl in Lacero's avatar (an all the other pics he's posted to these forums) is Yulia from the Russian pop duo t.a.t.u.

Google>Images>t.a.t.u.

Please, let's all move on...

vniow
Dec 29, 2005, 12:54 PM
i also have had a lot of confusion over vniow

You and everyone else on the forums...

jefhatfield
Dec 29, 2005, 06:16 PM
The girl in Lacero's avatar (an all the other pics he's posted to these forums) is Yulia from the Russian pop duo t.a.t.u.

Google>Images>t.a.t.u.

Please, let's all move on...

good theory, but may i ask, are you blind? ;)

unless lacero, or whoever, has a lot of informal snapshots of this so called star, which i highly doubt (off center snapshot with pet dog, side view showing how much, or little, fat she can pinch, etc)

lacero looks more like pat benatar in the old days than yulia of tatu...i am sure most of us resemble some star, or public figure, more than lacero resembles yulia

btw...lacero is just as pretty anyway though

jefhatfield
Dec 29, 2005, 06:29 PM
You and everyone else on the forums...

he he

did you gain fame for your brief television appearance from the locals?

vniow
Dec 29, 2005, 06:31 PM
Don't think so, I don't think many people watched the clip and those who did already knew me so...

jefhatfield
Dec 29, 2005, 06:36 PM
Don't think so, I don't think many people watched the clip and those who did already knew me so...

i was in my high school stage band and the local tv station used a clip of us for a long time talking about the "central coast" of california and all its local happenings and people said they saw me

i never saw that clip and i don't remember any local news camera crews at any of our high school sports events, where we played music at halftime...we were not that good anyway so i couldn't imagine the news using us :)

Flowbee
Dec 29, 2005, 06:58 PM
good theory, but may i ask, are you blind? ;)

unless lacero, or whoever, has a lot of informal snapshots of this so called star, which i highly doubt (off center snapshot with pet dog, side view showing how much, or little, fat she can pinch, etc)

There are tons of photos of her on the web. It took me 3 minutes to find the "pet dog" snapshots (http://www.white-man-killer.com/tatu/tatu-images06.html) (bottom of the page). Sorry to spoil the fantasy...

solvs
Dec 29, 2005, 08:38 PM
i also have had a lot of confusion over vniow, who used to be called edvniow in the early days
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I figured I should just drop it. Privacy and all that.

At this point I'm just kinda sorry I said anything.

Koodauw
Dec 29, 2005, 08:51 PM
And here i thought this thread was about processor specs.

jefhatfield
Dec 29, 2005, 09:28 PM
There are tons of photos of her on the web. It took me 3 minutes to find the "pet dog" snapshots (http://www.white-man-killer.com/tatu/tatu-images06.html) (bottom of the page). Sorry to spoil the fantasy...

ha ha...you are right

i actually did a picture search on google on tatu and looked at a lot of pictures trying to find any matches with lacero pics from macrumors and i didn't find anything...but that definitely is that lacero picture, i mean tatu girl

well that was fun :)

yes, this forum is about processors and i would have done my dissertation about them too, university of california, santa cruz ( www.soe.ucsc.edu/programs/ce/graduate ) too but instead i did it on...lacero

i feel like an idiot...there's so much high math and science that goes into processors (really a frightful amount) and i can't even match lacero pics with a well known rock star...i must be getting old since i can only think of pat benatar...as the younger members here say, "that old lady?" or "who?"

EGT
Dec 29, 2005, 09:43 PM
i can't even match lacero pics with a well known rock star...i must be getting old since i can only think of pat benatar...as the younger members here say, "that old lady?"

Rock Star? Well Known?

Lacero ... we love you for who you are !

jefhatfield
Dec 29, 2005, 09:53 PM
Rock Star? Well Known?

Lacero ... we love you for who you are !

actually, not knowing anything about them and doing the google search showed that they had/have a large following all over the world and sold quite a few records...i will switch places with them anyday...wait, that doesn't sound quite right ;)

at 42, i don't really know the rock bands/stars now like i did when i was 17...heck, i used to be able to play a lot of the songs (on guitar) of the hits in the 70s-early 80s but now i just feel very lost as to what bands are cool, or in this month and not the next

don't laugh at me...but my wife and i just saw coldplay on austin city limits and they were incredible...are they still big or last year's news? and the other day i looked at this book on slipknot and they seem to be famous, or were famous, yet i have not heard their music...but i was a big fan of kiss in the 70s, so i did like that makeup/stageshow type of thing

kiss, san francisco cow palace, 1980...now that was a show...ok...i am getting off topic again

solvs
Dec 29, 2005, 11:42 PM
And here i thought this thread was about processor specs.
Lacero is more interesting. It's the mystique, the allure of uncertainty. Although I'm sure SiliconAddict would disagree, but his name is SiliconAddict, so, you know...

Hopefully now we won't have jokes about fake boobs.