Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trewyn15

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2013
So I was just searching around ebay and found something that I've wanted for a little while.

I found a Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0Ghz with 8 RAM slots, currently with a 250GB HDD and 5GB RAM.

I plan to keep it on Leopard as that's the most it'll run. I also plan to upgrade it a bit and possibly use it for photo editing and web browsing.

All this and I paid $91 for it.

So 2 questions, how'd I do and no what should I do for upgrades?

ifrit05

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
Near Detroit, MI. USA
Great find!!! I got mine for $150. So yeah you got a really good deal.
For web browsing get TenFourFox, (the G5 build) it will really help, trust me.

As for upgrades... You could get a 500GB drive for ~$60-$70, or max out the memory.

As it is right now though it should scream. Does it have the Radeon 9800XT or 9600?

trewyn15

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2013
Great find!!! I got mine for $150. So yeah you got a really good deal.
For web browsing get TenFourFox, (the G5 build) it will really help, trust me.

As for upgrades... You could get a 500GB drive for ~$60-$70, or max out the memory.

As it is right now though it should scream. Does it have the Radeon 9800XT or 9600?

Awesome!

Is it not able to run Chrome on 10.5.8?

I'm not sure that i'll use up the 250GB, but I do believe I can connect a couple more.

That right there I am not sure yet haha I'll update when I get it thought for sure!

Also not sure if it comes with an OS, the pictures show that it does thought so I'm hopeful. If it doesn't, can it boot from USB?

ifrit05

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
Near Detroit, MI. USA
Chrome's Javascript engine is intel only, Google never released Chrome for PPC.
TenFourFox is a backport of more modern versions of FireFox to PPC since the official releases dropped support for the architecture.
They have 1 build for G3, 2 different G4 optimized builds and a G5 optimized build.
For YouTube I would suggest MacTubes, you can even play HD YouTube videos with it.

PowerMac G5's support 2 SATA I drives (1.5 Gb/s) and are capable of booting from USB.

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
your not missing much with Chrome. Stick with Leopard. You got a great deal mate. a few nice vid cards for that one mate.

enjoy

trewyn15

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2013
Chrome's Javascript engine is intel only, Google never released Chrome for PPC.
TenFourFox is a backport of more modern versions of FireFox to PPC since the official releases dropped support for the architecture.
They have 1 build for G3, 2 different G4 optimized builds and a G5 optimized build.
For YouTube I would suggest MacTubes, you can even play HD YouTube videos with it.

PowerMac G5's support 2 SATA I drives (1.5 Gb/s) and are capable of booting from USB.

Hey as long as I get a browser that works, I'm good! :D

I would like to get a Powerbook G4 again sometime down the line, one of the 14" aluminums, but this has taken just about all of the remainder of my Christmas money and then there's that whole rent thing haha

Thanks for the suggestion on programs! Sounds like I'll be just about set and then I'll have to find out what photoshop and lightroom versions were pre-intel.

your not missing much with Chrome. Stick with Leopard. You got a great deal mate. a few nice vid cards for that one mate.

enjoy

Honestly, I'm just used to Chrome from all of my other computers, but if I can't use it here, not a big deal.

Glad I got a decent deal here too, I was really worried about overpaying but I understand finding any of these in good condition can prove hard sometimes.

Are there options to upgrade the video cards at all or am I pretty much set either way?

I would eventually like WiFi, but I can run a hard wire in my apartment for the time being and I should be set on the monitor as well.

i wouldn't bother to upgrade anything.

I may look into upgrading the RAM just bumping to a full 8GB, but that'll be about it.

----------

Is this a dual core (late 2005)? If so and you want a better video card I have 2 7800GT's I am not using.

It's a 2.0GHz Dual Core (I believe?). This interior is what had me sold.

$_57.JPG

What do you want for the video card?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Adobe CS4 will run on a G5, and actually rather well! TenFourFox and MacTubes or QuickTime Enabler is your best bet. Leopard is great and the Mountain Leopard theme by AQUADock is fantastic!

Here is a basic list of software that will run on your Mac:

TenFourFox G5
Microsoft Office 2008
iLife 09
iWork 09
Adobe CS2-CS4
Spotify
Thunderbird
Xcode 3.1.4
Skype 2.8
Audacity
Google Earth
Dropbox (Still Actively Developed for PPC)
GIMP
Transmission

I included version numbers if I could remember them. Otherwise, it would be easy to find out!

trewyn15

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2013
Adobe CS4 will run on a G5, and actually rather well! TenFourFox and MacTubes or QuickTime Enabler is your best bet. Leopard is great and the Mountain Leopard theme by AQUADock is fantastic!

Here is a basic list of software that will run on your Mac:

TenFourFox G5
Microsoft Office 2008
iLife 09
iWork 09
Adobe CS2-CS4
Spotify
Thunderbird
Xcode 3.1.4
Skype 2.8
Audacity
Google Earth
Dropbox (Still Actively Developed for PPC)
GIMP
Transmission

I included version numbers if I could remember them. Otherwise, it would be easy to find out!

The PowerPC Archive should help you :)

Thank you guys! Looks like there's still quite a bit this thing can do, which is good because for it's age it's pretty dang powerful!

Do you guys know if they had built in Bluetooth? I heard it was an earlier version and wanted to make sure before I buy a mouse or keyboard.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
The PowerMac G5 can have Bluetooth if the appropriate card and antenna is installed. There will be a T shaped antenna that pops onto the back plug right next to the AirPort plug.

Something to note if you were going to use Apple bluetooth devices is that the Magic Mouse is supported fully, as well as the keyboard. However a Magic Trackpad will simply work as a simple pointing device with no scrolling. Just point and click!

trewyn15

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2013
The PowerMac G5 can have Bluetooth if the appropriate card and antenna is installed. There will be a T shaped antenna that pops onto the back plug right next to the AirPort plug.

Something to note if you were going to use Apple bluetooth devices is that the Magic Mouse is supported fully, as well as the keyboard. However a Magic Trackpad will simply work as a simple pointing device with no scrolling. Just point and click!

Ahh okay, I'll have to look into that further when it arrives!

That seems to work fine for me, I love the look of the Magic Trackpad with the keyboard, but I just don't like how it operates. Magic Mouse it will be for me :D

Also, is there a classifieds here and is it a post count to make it appear or do I have to pay that 'advanced' fee?

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
There are some developers that are working to port the Chrome engine with javascript over to the PPC platform, but they haven't really released a stable port yet. I have a feeling the projects going to be dropped soon.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That looks to be a dual processor. Maybe a June 2004 model. If the video card it comes with is the GeForce 5200FX, you may want to upgrade it. If it's anything else, it'll probably be fine. That G5 can use a Bluetooth board that was designed for the eMac, G4 iMac, 2007 iMac, and some Mac Pros. If you get the Intell Mac board, you'll have Bluetooth 2.X instead of 1.X. You can either pay for the little cylindrical antenna for it or get an internal laptop antenna and route it up into a slot that is in the optical drive tray cover. Works very well and is much cheaper.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
@ trewyn15:
as Intell said it is a Dual-Processor G5 not a Dual Core. There were three 2GHz DP models.

Before you order any upgrades, click on the apple and go to "about this Mac", then click on "more info" and look what you have installed. From the Cooler (hard to see) it looks you have the stock Nvidia FX 5200 from the second revision.
You can compare the three AGP-graphics card models (the 4th revision had PCIe) on http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-comparison-chart/?compare=all-powerpc-macs (choose the first three that have 2GHz DP).

You might as well have an ATI 9600. The 3rd revision featured a Dual Layer Superdrive, while the others had normal Superdrives. You can see that in the "about this Mac" window.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
The Nvidia 5200 is really a mediocre card, even for the time. It will support Quartz Extreme, but the transparent menu bar and other graphical effects may be disabled. I have a 9600 or a 9600 Pro in mine and it is by far superior to the 5200 and I run dual displays with it.

trewyn15

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2013
This is all I have for now: I'll take another shot once it's actually in my possession which should be Wednesday.

$_12.JPG

Are the dual core's supposed to be better than dual processors?

Intell - does this mean I can just get the bluetooth card or you mean the whole motherboard?

Either way I feel like I'll figure it out more when I get it in my possession.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
In general the dual cores are better as they are PCIe based and have DDR2 memory. In most applications, there isn't much difference. The Bluetooth thing really isn't a card, it's more of a board. It measures about 1"x2" in size. On the bottom of it is a little notch the plugs into the PowerMac's logicboard. Here's an image of one. Generally, the blue ones are from Intell Macs and are Bluetooth 2.X and the green ones are from PowerPC Macs and are Bluetooth 1.X. You can see where the internal antenna extension connects on the lower left of the left picture. It's the round in the in middle of the board. That extension leads to the external antenna and without the external antenna, it doesn't really work very well. How ever you can get a standard laptop WiFi antenna that will connect to that antenna connection and run it up into the optical drive tray cover. I did this and affixed it to the groove in the tray cover with a bit of hot glue. Works very well and no costly external antenna.

922-6784.jpg

trewyn15

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2013
In general the dual cores are better as they are PCIe based and have DDR2 memory. In most applications, there isn't much difference. The Bluetooth thing really isn't a card, it's more of a board. It measures about 1"x2" in size. On the bottom of it is a little notch the plugs into the PowerMac's logicboard. Here's an image of one. Generally, the blue ones are from Intell Macs and are Bluetooth 2.X and the green ones are from PowerPC Macs and are Bluetooth 1.X. You can see where the internal antenna extension connects on the lower left of the left picture. It's the round in the in middle of the board. That extension leads to the external antenna and without the external antenna, it doesn't really work very well. How ever you can get a standard laptop WiFi antenna that will connect to that antenna connection and run it up into the optical drive tray cover. I did this and affixed it to the groove in the tray cover with a bit of hot glue. Works very well and no costly external antenna.

View attachment 455850

Thanks for the input!

Sorry if I'm making you repost, I just want to make sure I got it for the most part.

So if I get the green bluetooth card (assuming the intel based blue card will not work) then all I need is the antenna to stick out of the rear of the case?

Also, is there a classifieds section here?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The blue Intell cards work just fine in PowerPC Macs that can take those Bluetooth cards. Yes, you would need the PowerMac G5 Bluetooth antenna. They can be a bit pricy. MacRumors does have a marketplace, you may not be able to see it. There are post and time restrictions that have to be met before you will be able to access it.

trewyn15

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2013
The blue Intell cards work just fine in PowerPC Macs that can take those Bluetooth cards. Yes, you would need the PowerMac G5 Bluetooth antenna. They can be a bit pricy. MacRumors does have a marketplace, you may not be able to see it. There are post and time restrictions that have to be met before you will be able to access it.

I'll have to take a look around and see what I can find. I should probably wait to see what I get in the box first haha

I'll have to look into the marketplace posts and stuff, I think my time restriction should be long enough but I thought they had a pretty high post requirement here. I can't fully remember though.

I appreciate the input! It'll really help me when the computer actually gets here!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.