Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stephent

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
How are audio people setting up your studios with the nMP? Should have paid better attention to all the audio builds in the studios I work in. Kind of feel like I am fumbling in the dark audio wise building my own. Not looking for anything fancy at this point. Would be content with just running an nice pair of studio speakers (which I already have) with a sub. Would like to do this as inexpensively as possible, but still work and sound good. So not high end, but not bottom of the barrel either. Is coming out of the stereo jack into a sub passthrough sufficient, or am I missing a step there?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
How are audio people setting up your studios with the nMP? Should have paid better attention to all the audio builds in the studios I work in. Kind of feel like I am fumbling in the dark audio wise building my own. Not looking for anything fancy at this point. Would be content with just running an nice pair of studio speakers (which I already have) with a sub. Would like to do this as inexpensively as possible, but still work and sound good. So not high end, but not bottom of the barrel either. Is coming out of the stereo jack into a sub passthrough sufficient, or am I missing a step there?

The computer is not really the important part. Save some money and use an iMac. You don't need a nMP for audio. Especially if you are going for low cost.

I think the core of the studio setup for a small studio is the audio interface. How many channels will you be recording at the same time? Are you also recording MIDI instruments? You answers to these questions determine which audio interfaces you can use.

Then after that it's audio preamps and whatever outboard equipment you want. For me, I think only a outboard compressor is needed and the rest gets done in software. Some audio interface come with most of what you need built-in.

Next is the space itself. It has the "work" for whatever you are doing.

I don't think a sub is a good idea. Buy full range speakers. At least buy speakers that go to about 60Hz, not higher then if you need the range for 20Hz to 60Hz, buy the sub. Reason? You want to know where the sound is, you don't want to hear a combined left/right. That is OK for home theater but not for creating the mix.

If price is an issue buy some passive speakers and drive them with a cheap stereo amp (even cheap recovers are pretty good.

The big decision is the audio interface. Presonus, MOTU, and other brands like that are all good..

I'd go for the 27" iMac, you can't have enough screen space.

Last edited:

Stephent

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
I should clarify. I'm a video editor and do animation work as well so hence why I am getting the nMP. I got a pair of KRK RoKit 8" G2s which from what I understand are good speakers. I don't do more than the most basic audio work most of the time. The goal is eventually to get a control panel to do direct mixes when necessary, but right now I just want to get good quality audio out of the computer for clients to listen to. I do do film work so the mixes can often be deep with a lot of parts for us to listen to. While I don't do the mixing myself I do choose music, sfx, ext, so I want to know that what I am hearing is accurate. Not sure if that info changes your recommendation at all. Thanks for that advice.

The computer is not really the important part. Save some money and use an iMac. You don't need a nMP for audio. Especially if you are going for low cost.

I think the core of the studio setup for a small studio is the audio interface. How many channels will you be recording at the same time? Are you also recording MIDI instruments? You answers to these questions determine which audio interfaces you can use.

Then after that it's audio preamps and whatever outboard equipment you want. For me, I think only a outboard compressor is needed and the rest gets done in software. Some audio interface come with most of what you need built-in.

Next is the space itself. It has the "work" for whatever you are doing.

I don't think a sub is a good idea. Buy full range speakers. At least buy speakers that go to about 60Hz, not higher then if you need the range for 20Hz to 60Hz, buy the sub. Reason? You want to know where the sound is, you don't want to hear a combined left/right. That is OK for home theater but not for creating the mix.

If price is an issue buy some passive speakers and drive them with a cheap stereo amp (even cheap recovers are pretty good.

The big decision is the audio interface. Presonus, MOTU, and other brands like that are all good..

I'd go for the 27" iMac, you can't have enough screen space.

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
London
I should clarify. I'm a video editor and do animation work as well so hence why I am getting the nMP. I got a pair of KRK RoKit 8" G2s which from what I understand are good speakers. I don't do more than the most basic audio work most of the time. The goal is eventually to get a control panel to do direct mixes when necessary, but right now I just want to get good quality audio out of the computer for clients to listen to. I do do film work so the mixes can often be deep with a lot of parts for us to listen to. While I don't do the mixing myself I do choose music, sfx, ext, so I want to know that what I am hearing is accurate. Not sure if that info changes your recommendation at all. Thanks for that advice.

If you are looking to do audio for video work. What you have is probably fine. I might recommend/suggest some form of audio monitor controller, one with alternative outputs, and inputs. So you can plug in other stuff as you expand, or see it necessary. Sommat like the Samson C-Control, or the Mackie Big Knob would be a good reference point.

If you are doing voice over stuff, you might want to look at getting a relatively decent I/O. The M-Audio Profire series for instance, or the Focusrite Saffire/Scarlet. (the scarlet are USB based, the saffire are firewire based) A goodish condenser microphone with pop shield would also be good. $150-$250 would be a good starting place for a microphone.

Beyond that, use balanced/shielded cables where ever possible. This will help you get rid of hums/buzzes. Which can be very distracting if all you wanna do is do video ;)

Good luck! :)

Raventhornn

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2014

Well let's step back for a moment... If all you are looking for is a good audio presentation for clients, then you are basically done, the RoKit 8" are a respectable monitor [little base/mid range heavy]. If you are not planning on recording, then really no need to get much else than what you have.

You could add a 'higher end' DAC and invest in additional Monitors, but you'd have to justify the expense to yourself.

What really do you feel your audio presentation isn't doing? While I understand the "feeling to upgrade", what you have presented here really doesn't present a solid gap you are attempting to address.

Remember the primary purpose of monitors is audio accuracy, hence why most audiophiles and audio engineers will tell you to stay away from a sub, in this case [there are times to use them, but that is usually just final presentation].

While I know "do nothing" isn't exceptionally exciting to hear, that would be my recommendation, unless you bring additional facts to the table in this instance [why spend money on upgrading something without an actual need to?].

Raventhornn

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
If it's primarily high quality audio playback you want, I would only suggest a few basic (and cheap) modifications. The KRK's are decent speakers, just buy decent cables for them (ideally balanced if possible), and get soem kind of basic audio interface for the output. You do NOT need anything fancy for the audio interface (since you're not doing much audio recording it seems). It will give you a mild (but present) benefit to audio playback quality, and with a marginal investment ($100 to $200). Many companies make decent interfaces in this price range and you should need anything fancier (unless you do have more specific audio recording needs). Focusrite, M-Audio, Mackie, Behringer, and many other companies make interfaces in this price range. Any one of them would suffice. I wouldn't bother upgrading anything else, audio wise. At least as far as playback goes. Maybe some basic acoustic room treatment perhaps but that might be overdoing it :)

Marty62

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Berlin formerly London
To add to what Sackvillenb said, perhaps as you're into film editing you could
buy an interface that you can expand on later for 5.1 surround ?

Something like the RME Fireface 400 is reasonable cost and with 6 balanced
outputs could happily do 5.1 later on down the road.

For now, it would serve as a stereo audio device and they sound very sweet.
I use the "800" version as I need the extra I/O in the studio.
( I'm a musician & composer, working on some Film pieces as we speak )

If that wouldn't be your end goal then any decent stereo audio device would
be fine, stick with names and do a little "googling" for any issues first !

Regards,
Martin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.