Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Lock screen and home screen status bar sizes drastically different. Still the case with 7.1.

Why was this an intentional design choice?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Part of iOS 7 design and is still there in iOS 7.1 betas. Mainly it's likely it's like that for easier readability as people often quickly turn on the screen on their locked phone for a quick second and just glance at it perhaps without it being as close as they would usually have the phone normally, so this way they can see the information in the status bar a bit easier when they are glancing quickly from farther away.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Lock screen and home screen status bar sizes drastically different. Still the case with 7.1.

Why was this an intentional design choice?

How can anyone ask such a question that no one on a forum could answer. We are pea-ons with absolutely no insight to what Apple does, and does not do. But, these questions that no one can answer pop up all the time. :confused: :confused:

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
How can anyone ask such a question that no one on a forum could answer. We are pea-ons with absolutely no insight to what Apple does, and does not do. But, these questions that no one can answer pop up all the time. :confused: :confused:

Well people on here are using beta iOS 7.1

Markyyy

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2013

Someone has answered! Take the time to read through the posts and you'd know this! Jesus...

The status bar can afford to be larger on the lock screen because there's no app running on the lock screen which would need priority. After unlocking, the status bar shrinks to its typical size because the main UI (homescreen, app, etc.) is prioritised and so is given as much screen space as possible whilst still leaving the staus bar at a readable size. Like someone said above, it's enlarged on the homescreen probably so that people can have a glance at their battery lifes or signal more easily.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Aren't you being a bit drastic using the word drastically?

I don't think he is.

It's extremely noticeable and one of the things I actually don't like about iOS 7.

Hopefully someone creates a jailbreak tweak to keep the size small on the lock screen.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
I don't think he is.

It's extremely noticeable and one of the things I actually don't like about iOS 7.

Hopefully someone creates a jailbreak tweak to keep the size small on the lock screen.

It really isn't extremely noticeable. I'm sure most people have never actually notice it before. :rolleyes:

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Only just noticed this. Ugh, I hate it.

I don't really.. Didn't realise. Nice touch Apple!

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
It really isn't extremely noticeable. I'm sure most people have never actually notice it before. :rolleyes:

I noticed it when they implemented in in Beta 2 literally as soon as I upgraded.

I love iOS 7 but it definitely is the one thing I hate the most.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Who knew that such a minor thing that doesn't really get in the way or cause any actual problems could be so "hated". ;)

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Oh my god you guys. I just totally noticed that the clock is totally a different size too!

clocksizes.jpg

But wait. Maybe it's because when I'm just quickly glancing at the home screen I'm holding the phone much further away from my face and so things are larger because that's just helpful and a good feature? And, like, maybe that applies to signal strength just as much as the time?

Ha ha. Just kidding. Of course the answer is because Apple's stupid.

--

PS - Ok, I know I'm totally an ******* a lot. I'm not apologizing for that. But I want to stop and say that this joke is NOT about thadoggfather for starting the thread. It's an honest question, thadoggfather. I realized that you could totally think I'm ragging on you for starting the thread. Not the case! Just thought this was funny. :)

Last edited:

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Oh my god you guys. I just totally noticed that the clock is totally a different size too!

But wait. Maybe it's because when I'm just quickly glancing at the home screen I'm holding the phone much further away from my face and so things are larger because that's just helpful and a good feature? And, like, maybe that applies to signal strength just as much as the time?

--

PS - Ok, I know I'm totally an ******* a lot. I'm not apologizing for that. But I want to stop and say that this joke is NOT about thadoggfather for starting the thread. It's an honest question, thadoggfather. I realized that you could totally think I'm ragging on you for starting the thread. Not the case! Just thought this was funny. :)

I don't wanna ask how long and how much effort it took for you to create that post, but I'm sure if you told me then id laugh.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
guessing on the lock screen it is easier to see larger...and on the home screen you have apps that take up space and thus it needs to be a touch smaller.

I have never noticed this until now, so thanks

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
guessing on the lock screen it is easier to see larger...and on the home screen you have apps that take up space and thus it needs to be a touch smaller.

I have never noticed this until now, so thanks
Not only that but on the lock screen there's no need to have space for the time in the status bar on the lock screen as it is genrally displayed in an even larger format below the status bar (leaving more empty space to fill up in the status bar).

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007

--

I enjoy this and found it funny. People get too emotional over apple products.

I'm just pointing out an observation. Why is the use of the word drastic being debated ad nauseum rather than the subject? The difference is they are different sizes. I see why they did it but I don't like it. It's not the end of the world. I'm not going to start stomping my phone and tablet against the cement. Take a breather some of you folks.

Not referring to you :)

----------

MacRumors not MacFacts.

----------

Aren't you being a bit drastic using the word drastically?

No. I noticed it without being aware in advance that it was a design change from ios 6 and felt it was awkward consistency wise. Too close to really seem to make a deal breaking difference for visibility.

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
uxKmpY5.jpg

Jailbreak tweak to restore consistency. I hope a version comes out where homescreen status bar is same size as Lock screen, I've grown fond of it being bigger

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.