Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chasers

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2011
I registered and paid for an Apple developer account in order to download the betas. However, I have no idea what I am doing. I download the files and then extract them because I am using a dell computer. Once I extract to .ipsw and try to update from itunes I get an error. Do I have to download Xcode in order to do this? I think my UDID is registered at least thats what it says on developer.apple.com. I am so frustrated ready to get a refund if thats possible. I have searched to no end on tutorials on how to update to 7.1 beta with no success. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I don't mean to be rude, but if you can't find tutorials on how to install a beta version of iOS (a quick search using the keywords 'install iOS beta' reveals a bunch of them), then perhaps you're not cut out to run betas at all.

If you disagree, simply follow the instructions I gave you...

chasers

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2011
I don't mean to be rude, but if you can't find tutorials on how to install a beta version of iOS (a quick search using the keywords 'install iOS beta' reveals a bunch of them), then perhaps you're not cut out to run betas at all.

If you disagree, simply follow the instructions I gave you...

I know how to install them ILLEGALLY but I figured i'd register and do it the correct way. Thanks for the advice though :rolleyes:

Bonestle

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
Darwin
After you extract the ipsw file from the disk image, go to your device in iTunes and shift-click on Restore on the summary page. Navigate to the file and select it. From there it's pretty straight forward.

chasers

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2011
After you extract the ipsw file from the disk image, go to your device in iTunes and shift-click on Restore on the summary page. Navigate to the file and select it. From there it's pretty straight forward.

Thank you so much for your help!

Last edited:

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I know how to install them ILLEGALLY but I figured i'd register and do it the correct way. Thanks for the advice though :rolleyes:

I wasn't referring to "illegal" installations.

You're welcome, although I'm a bit surprised to see that you a) needed it and 2) didn't take it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Make sure you are using the right install file for the device model that you have. (Mentioning what error you actually get and where as well as when exactly you see it can be helpful in situations like this too.)

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
I registered and paid for an Apple developer account in order to download the betas. However, I have no idea what I am doing. I download the files and then extract them because I am using a dell computer. Once I extract to .ipsw and try to update from itunes I get an error. Do I have to download Xcode in order to do this? I think my UDID is registered at least thats what it says on developer.apple.com. I am so frustrated ready to get a refund if thats possible. I have searched to no end on tutorials on how to update to 7.1 beta with no success. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Why don't you just ask your questions on the DEV site instead of making this sound like an all out emergency? You do understand what the DEV forums are for, don't you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.