PDA

View Full Version : WTB: ancient Mac

aquajet
Dec 28, 2005, 04:25 PM
I recently found a copy of A/UX that I'm interested playing with, however no Mac that can run it. I'm looking for a 68030 or 040-based Mac, like a Mac II series or Quadra series. Let me know what you have :)

wnameth
Dec 28, 2005, 05:01 PM
I have a powerbook 100, not sure if its old enough..

yellow
Dec 28, 2005, 05:03 PM
I have 2 Mac IIs sitting right here next to me.. as well as a IIcx. I'll have to look into whether they are 'sellable' or not.

zach
Dec 28, 2005, 05:13 PM
I have a blazing Performa 6somethingCD. has a massively large 500 MB harddrive, along with a nice monitor, and I think it's 33 MHz? I also have a much faster (MHz-wise) Performa with like a 4 GB harddrive, and I'd be willing to include the monitor on that as well..

The earlier Performa may not be working, I'd be happy to check it out for you if you'd like though. The later is certainly working, however, and it's yours if you want it.

Remeber if you do though, it's extremely heavy, and shipping would be somewhat expensive. The older Performa will also not connect to VGA monitors, and requires an apple monitor or an adaptor, both of which I have.

Either or both can be yours for shipping + some cash or trade or something.. Haven't decided on anything yet, rest assured it wouldn't be much ;P

(edit: the newer performa's a powerPC model, so i assume that's a no-go)

aquajet
Dec 28, 2005, 05:40 PM
I have 2 Mac IIs sitting right here next to me.. as well as a IIcx. I'll have to look into whether they are 'sellable' or not.

Are they the plain II, or IIsomething? I don't think the II will work, but the IIcx will. Let me know if they are "sellable". :)

Zach, let me know the exact model number and I'll check if it's a go or no go.

aquajet
Dec 28, 2005, 05:41 PM
I have a powerbook 100, not sure if its old enough..

It's plenty old, but not the right processor. :D

MacEffects
Dec 28, 2005, 05:51 PM
Well, I am the master of 68000 Macs:) I have LC's, Performas, Quadras, Centris, WGS, 601, and anything else PM me:D

aquajet
Dec 28, 2005, 06:54 PM
Well, I am the master of 68000 Macs:) I have LC's, Performas, Quadras, Centris, WGS, 601, and anything else PM me:D

PM sent

applemacdude
Dec 28, 2005, 07:39 PM
Lc's are probaly the easiest to ship....

savoirfaire
Dec 28, 2005, 10:56 PM
I recently found a copy of A/UX that I'm interested playing with, however no Mac that can run it. I'm looking for a 68030 or 040-based Mac, like a Mac II series or Quadra series. Let me know what you have :)

Where do you live? We have a Performa that you can HAVE if you are nearby.

zach
Dec 29, 2005, 10:25 AM
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_performa/stats/mac_performa_637cd.html

i assume that would work for you.. like i said, i'm not sure if it's working though, and for this one you DO need an apple monitor or adaptor.

just if you're interested.. this is the other one http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_performa/stats/mac_performa_6360_160.html, but obviously that has a processor incompatible with your needs ;)

im_to_hyper
Dec 30, 2005, 11:51 AM
Hey there -- I have two LCIIs that work great (tho I haven't checked the specs) and three PowerBook 150s.

The PBs have 120MB harddrives and I believe one has 200.

OS 7.5 is currently installed on all of them, though obviously that wouldn't matter to you :)

4MB of RAM in each, though. :(

PM if interested.

aquajet
Dec 30, 2005, 01:21 PM
I did a bit of research on the Performas, and it seems they don't support A/UX because they use the 68LC040 processor, and neither do the LCs because they lack an FPU (an FPU is required to run A/UX). Looks like I'll need to stick with a high-end ancient Mac. Hopefully, MacEffects will get back to me soon (has quite the collection).

zach
Dec 30, 2005, 08:19 PM
ah, dang. sorry about that, thanks for your interest anyway...

bousozoku
Dec 30, 2005, 09:04 PM
I did a bit of research on the Performas, and it seems they don't support A/UX because they use the 68LC040 processor, and neither do the LCs because they lack an FPU (an FPU is required to run A/UX). Looks like I'll need to stick with a high-end ancient Mac. Hopefully, MacEffects will get back to me soon (has quite the collection).

My Performa 476 (a.k.a. LC475) has a replacement processor, an 68040 since I got tired of running into software that needed strong FP capabilities. The 850 MB hard drive should be plenty since A/UX was originally shipped on an 80 MB drive.

aquajet
Dec 30, 2005, 09:34 PM
bousozoku, PM sent