Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
What program do you guys / gals use to create mosaics from your iPhoto library for OS X? (Preferably free) :D

Applespider

macrumors G4
I've played around with this in the past.

MacOSaiX although I think it's quite memory-processor hungry from memory and you need to have lots of pics available for it to do a decent job.

If you just want one of those 'life' posters rather than pictures making up another picture, then there's an Automator action out there that will pull out pics from an iPhoto album for you.

The manual way

The Automator way

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
Aside from the aformentioned MacOSaix there is also MozoDojo. I personally haven't tried it, but I'm downloading it now, so hopefully I'll know soon, as they both look pretty cool.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
I played with MacOSaiX, but it crashed too much... I'm now trying Mozodojo which seems to perform much better. You just can only choose one album at a time from iPhoto, so I created a Mozo album of the pics I want to use.

The "life" poster looks awsum! I'll have to do one when my daughter gets older and we have more photos. She's two months old on Friday. :rolleyes:

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
Photoshop, just use contact sheet 2 and use the settings correctly. And add a image on a new layer and change the layer settings multiply is my fav

sclay715

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2011
photo mosaic

Hi.
I have been trying to create a photo mosaic and just cant seem figure out how to do it. I linked the site above that I found when I was looking for a tutorial but they don't sell the software. I want to use all of my photos to create a one large image like the ones Picture Mosaics does but I am totally lost as to how to do this on my own. Anyone out there try this before? I have visited other forums and haven't gotten any feedback, fingers crossed!
Thanks!
S

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
Hi.
I have been trying to create a photo mosaic and just cant seem figure out how to do it. I linked the site above that I found when I was looking for a tutorial but they don't sell the software. I want to use all of my photos to create a one large image like the ones Picture Mosaics does but I am totally lost as to how to do this on my own. Anyone out there try this before? I have visited other forums and haven't gotten any feedback, fingers crossed!
Thanks!
S

Try this (Collage Creator) from the Mac App Store. I don't know if it will do as many photos as you have but it was Free the other day, but I think it was only .99 when not on sale.

twz22

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2011
NoVA
I have used MacOSaiX twice to do collages for each of my kids' 1st birthdays. I was really happy with the results for both. I used a library of about 10K pictures to make a 50x50 mosiac. Looked great printed at 20x30.

It is a bit of a memory hog. The first was done on a C2D 2007 iMac and took over a day to fully render. The second was done last year on a i3 iMac in a couple hours or less.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.