Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JarrettH15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2012
Hey all! I'm traveling abroad to Spain at the end of month until May and plan to use my iPad and MacBook on wifi to speak to my friends and family on iMessage (Skype/Facebook messaging those without). To prevent having messages sent to my phone number as text messages and not seeing them until I get home, how should I configure my settings?

I'd also rather not send my iCloud email to everyone tellig them to add it to their contacts. My name is in my email, so they would be able to identify me by it..

Thank you!

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Just have iMessage on. If you have iMessage on on your phone you should be able to use that on your iPad and mac. Just look in settings and make sure it is set to your phone number.

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
I don't know who your local carrier is but this is the way I do it. ATT does not charge for incoming text messages when you are out of the country. So I allow them to come through. Just don't respond or expect a .50 per out going text. I have a Google number that I use to respond to text messages using Google Voice connect.

To keep phone calls from coming through I have a Skype phone number. I forward all cellular calls to the Skype number. I buy a data only sim in the country when I arrive and put it in my mini.

There are other ways to make everything work but this works for me. If it is a short stay in the country I will skip the data sim and just rely on wifi.

Forgot to say I use voice only on Skype. It doesn't require as much bandwidth .

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I don't know who your local carrier is but this is the way I do it. ATT does not charge for incoming text messages when you are out of the country. So I allow them to come through. Just don't respond or expect a .50 per out going text. I have a Google number that I use to respond to text messages using Google Voice connect.

To keep phone calls from coming through I have a Skype phone number. I forward all cellular calls to the Skype number. I buy a data only sim in the country when I arrive and put it in my mini.

There are other ways to make everything work but this works for me. If it is a short stay in the country I will skip the data sim and just rely on wifi.

Forgot to say I use voice only on Skype. It doesn't require as much bandwidth .

iMessage is data-based, texting rates don't apply.

The beautiful thing about iMessage is that once it's read on one device, the notification disappears from the others.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Just have iMessage on. If you have iMessage on on your phone you should be able to use that on your iPad and mac. Just look in settings and make sure it is set to your phone number.

You need to be logged into your Apple ID on all devices for the phone number and email from said id to be recognized as equals. Then you can add any other emails to also receive to devices

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
iMessage is data-based, texting rates don't apply.

The beautiful thing about iMessage is that once it's read on one device, the notification disappears from the others.

No where did I say anything about iMessage. If you read what I posted it is about the way I avoid international charges while out of the country.

And, yes, iMessage is carried on the data side. The problem you encounter as an international traveler is people stateside continue to text you and you will need a way to respond to those messages.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
No where did I say anything about iMessage. If you read what I posted it is about the way I avoid international charges while out of the country.

And, yes, iMessage is carried on the data side. The problem you encounter as an international traveler is people stateside continue to text you and you will need a way to respond to those messages.

Ahh ok, Misunderstood what you were saying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.