Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I am Sampson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Plymouth, UK
Hi,

I work in a newly opened school which is very apple based (every child has own iPad, school computers are all macs).

The iPads have proved poor as cameras so we are looking to spend about £300 to get 2 cameras (yes, I know that isn't much). Obvisouly not DLSR, but ones that fit in your pocket all day and are super fast as going from off to photo taken.

I've been considering wireless and am unsure how it works exactly. It would be lovely to have it so both cameras will wirelessly send pictures to one mac as they are taken, either directly to iPhoto or just a shared folder.

Is this possible? Or does wireless simply mean when you want to upload them all you just do it wireless instead of via cable/sd card? If so then that has little advantage I can see.

Thanks.

Edit: This page lists a few interesting cameras I'm looking at, such as the sony DSC-Wx300

swordio777

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2013
Scotland, UK
If you buy an Eye-Fi card this will do what you want and will work in any camera.

The Eye-Fi SD card is like a normal memory card, but it creates its own wifi network that the iPad can connect with.

One thing to bear in mind though is that the connection is not fast. You can speed it up by reducing the quality of the image you want to save (and thus reducing its file size). However if you want to keep the best quality photographs on the memory card for use later then it could take several minutes to send over a single photo to the iPad.

Also be aware that the Eye-Fi card will suck the camera's battery.

If you can find a camera which allows you to save more than one file per exposure (for example, digital SLRs let you save raw + jpeg), you could save one high quality file to the memory card, and send one very low quality file to the ipad so you can see it instantly.

Hope that helps.

I am Sampson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Plymouth, UK
Hi, thanks for this.

Speed isn't too much of an issue, though I'd want the pics to be sent to a mac mini or macbook air rather than an iPad, but I assume this is possible.

One thing though, could you continue to take more pictures whilst the first ones are still being sent, or do you have to take one picture then wait until it had wirelessly sent before you could take another?
I'd want to be able to take 60+ in quick succession on occasion, it wouldn't be too much of an issue if I then had to wait.

Do any camera's do this without Eye-fi? Perhaps with less of a battery issue?
Cameras do need to last a full school day of use.

Edit: Also, I assume the file transfer stops / breaks if you take a picture then switch the camera off? Or is it clever enough to continue transfer with the camera off?

Last edited:

I am Sampson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Plymouth, UK
Hmm... it seems the samsung galaxy camera does auto upload to devices... whether it would play nicely with mac laptops /mac mini's is another question though... anyone know?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.