Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
I just bought an Apple TV device a week ago. Today Best Buy and Amazon are showing it $20 cheaper than when I purchased it. While I can get a refund for the $20 from Best Buy, should I return the device as the price drop has people on other forums saying that a new one is coming soon.

I will say that it suits all of my needs but if a new one is faster/smoother....

What would you do?

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
If you are returning it just to buy it $20 cheaper, then ok I guess. But if you are because you've read a new one is coming, then no.

I highly doubt apple will drop a new Apple TV without first introducing it at an apple event.

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
If you are returning it just to buy it $20 cheaper, then ok I guess. But if you are because you've read a new one is coming, then no.

I highly doubt apple will drop a new Apple TV without first introducing it at an apple event.

I would not need to return it to get the $20 back, just walk into the store with my receipt. My thought is whether to return it because a newer one is coming shortly though you make a very good point about Apple and an event.

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
By all means, go back to the store to get your $20. However, I wouldn't return it. I would be happy about getting a good deal on an Apple TV.

There could be a few different reasons that retailes are selling it at a discounted price now. It could be that they're selling down unsold stock after the holidays. It could be that they're anticipating an updated Apple TV release soon. However, I haven't heard any rumblings about an updated ATV recently so it might be pure retailer speculation.

Regardless, even if there is a big update to the Apple TV soon, you won't be left with a useless device. The current ATV will continue to function, and worst case is you'll end up with an extra device for streaming music in another room or to hook up to the TV downstairs (or whatever).

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Do it quickly to get your 20 bucks. I don't know if best buys return policy applies but it's 15 days! They burned me on an AppleTV once, since then I refused to purchase anything from them. That's kinda my issue though. :)

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
if you opened it you can't return it for a refund. They might not even let you get the price match either.

What really do you think the new one will be able to do that you can't live without or really worth the extra $20 to you? I am all about having the newest everything but no clue when the new one will come out. Look at other threads people have been saying a new apple tv will come out for over a year. Unless they buy Nintendo and the new Apple tv lets me play Zelda then I see no reason to upgrade form the 3

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
if you opened it you can't return it for a refund. They might not even let you get the price match either.

Assuming the OP bought it at Best Buy this is 100% untrue. I returned a three week old Mac Mini (opened and used) for a refund.

This is one way that Best Buy gets their "Open Box" inventory.

Also, as the OP stated the item doesn't need to be returned or exchanged in order to get a price match refund.

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Assuming the OP bought it at Best Buy this is 100% untrue. I returned a three week old Mac Mini (opened and used) for a refund.

This is one way that Best Buy gets their "Open Box" inventory.

Also, as the OP stated the item doesn't need to be returned or exchanged in order to get a price match refund.

All the best buys in New England have a 14 day policy for open box. If not open box then you open it and the best they do is give you a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.