Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
How much data is used by iMaps? For a trip of 30 miles it shows data usage of 5 MB. Is this common? (I used Apple maps one way and Google while coming back and didn't use data for anything other than navigation).
How does Apple and Google maps compare in terms of data usage? I had cached local neighborhood data on Google maps, not sure whether it was used or Google maps downloaded again. Any suggestions on reducing the data usage? I am on At&t with 300 MB plan.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
How much data is used by iMaps? For a trip of 30 miles it shows data usage of 5 MB. Is this common? (I used Apple maps one way and Google while coming back and didn't use data for anything other than navigation).
How does Apple and Google maps compare in terms of data usage? I had cached local neighborhood data on Google maps, not sure whether it was used or Google maps downloaded again. Any suggestions on reducing the data usage? I am on At&t with 300 MB plan.

Look up directions while on wifi,
Memorise or draw on paper.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

Honestly, the problem is your so called data plan. AT&T should be ashamed of themselves for offering a data plan like that for an iPhone. The minimum data plan for an iPhone should be 2GB. I go through 4-6GB per month myself.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Lol... thats what I used to do.
My question is whats your experience about data usage with iMaps and Google. Is there any in navigation option to show 2D instead of 3D?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
My question is whats your experience about data usage with iMaps and Google. Is there any in navigation option to show 2D instead of 3D?

You really need to update your data plan. Stop trying to fix a leak with a band-aid.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Aside from upgrading the data plan.. what is common data usage for both the maps?

liteshow

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012

I once only had 100 MB per month for a pay as you go plan. Now I have 6 GB per month. So I do understand why you are doing this and trying to save on data usage. I used to find many ways to save data. Here is what I would do previously to save data for maps:

This is assuming that you are not using the turn by turn navigation as that will chew up data. I use Google Maps only as Apple Maps does not have the option to cache as far as I know. Like you said, cache your local neighborhood data (using the "ok maps" command in the search field). Then make sure you have cellular data turned off for google maps (Settings -> cellular -> Google Maps set to off) and location turned on (Settings -> privacy -> location services -> Google Maps set to on). You should be good to go.

With the setup above, you will only be using cellular data for location services and nothing else. The "blue dot" which is your current location uses the GPS location services. If I recall correctly, I would average maybe 500 KB for a 1/2 hour and 15 KM trip. It can add up depending on how long you use it. Just make sure you exit Google Maps when you are done as location services will chew up cellular data.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
They both mostly do vector mapping, so the data is already minimized as far as navigation goes. There are 3D options that you don't have to enable as it is currently, so that should be already addressed by them.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
This is assuming that you are not using the turn by turn navigation as that will chew up data. I use Google Maps only as Apple Maps does not have the option to cache as far as I know. Like you said, cache your local neighborhood data (using the "ok maps" command in the search field). Then make sure you have cellular data turned off for google maps (Settings -> cellular -> Google Maps set to off) and location turned on (Settings -> privacy -> location services -> Google Maps set to on). You should be good to go.

So thats like following your live location on the maps without turn-by-turn directions. I'll try this next time. It would be nice if the maps store frequently traveled parts areas, so it doesn't have to download it everytime.

Does location service use data as well? Isn't it based on triangulation using the cell phone signal?
And is there any option for 2D mode only?

liteshow

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
So thats like following your live location on the maps without turn-by-turn directions. I'll try this next time. It would be nice if the maps store frequently traveled parts areas, so it doesn't have to download it everytime.

Does location service use data as well? Isn't it based on triangulation using the cell phone signal?
And is there any option for 2D mode only?

Yes, that's without the voice turn by turn directions. The voice turn by turn directions needs cellular data enabled for Google Maps.

I did find that Google maps cache pretty well with the OK Maps command. However, if you leave cellular data on for Google Maps, even though you have a cached copy sitting in memory, it will still automatically download a fresh copy of the maps. So keep cellular data for Google maps turned off and you will get the prompt that it is turned off which you simply ignore. This will then force it to use the cached map.

Location services for some reason uses data. It appears as Settings -> Cellular -> system Services -> Time & Location. Maybe I was missing something in my settings.

Not sure about 2D mode.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
You can test the limits of how much of an area the app will cache. It isn't much.

It's a good thing to have if you're navigating to an area with no cell coverage. In those cases GPS works, but normally the map wouldn't be able to display the surrounding area since it can't be downloaded. Used it for that over the holidays.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Google recently switched to vector mapping, so the data should be similar.

However, I think Apple maps can cache a very large area. If you preload the area, then don't force-close the Maps app, it should maintain it's maps. Mind you, I haven't tried that since iOS 6... it could be different now.

As a side note, I leave Location Services OFF all the time unless I need it for something in order to save battery. Google maps always defaults my location at a very zoomed in spot in the South Atlantic Ocean, or Stonehenge. Honestly, what's the likelihood that I am at either of those places...

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010

IMO the best GPS on iOS is Motion X Drive. Use it's off-line feature to pre-fetch maps while on wifi.

That or download Tom Tom which stores your maps on the phone.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Try NavFree if there is one for where you are. I've used this a lot in the UK without any issues and recently used it on holiday on the US when i didnt want to run up any data charges. It installs maps on your phone so does take up memory but doesnt need a data signal to run.

For the US version you just install it then download maps for whichever states you need. In the UK its all in there to start with.

And its free...there are add ons you can buy but you can use it perfectly fine without any of those.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.