PDA

View Full Version : DS vs. PSP

virus1
Dec 29, 2005, 05:24 AM
i am stuck midway.

the ds is cheap.

the psp has the style.

i can afford the ds with a game and a case right now, but im 80$ or so away from an unarmed psp. is it worth the wait? i have games that i would love that are on either platform that aren't on the other. gta on the psp and Trauma Center: Under the Knife on the DS.

advice?

MacRy
Dec 29, 2005, 06:14 AM
I've got a PSP and think it's absolutely wonderful. I got GTA Liberty City for Xmas and it totally rocks. I'm at work at the minute watching iRobot on it which is a godsend.

Let's bring on the Nintendo fanboys then.......;)

Patmian212
Dec 29, 2005, 06:15 AM
Ive played both, now in my opinion, PSP has the graphics and style but DS has the gameplay, you gotta think to yourself what you will be playing more, simulators(realistic games like for example gran turismo) or games like mario kart. They both have different styles.

greatdevourer
Dec 29, 2005, 06:17 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head there - you can buy a DS and 2 (or more) games for the same price as just a PSP. This, I think, is one of the main reasons why the PSP hasn't sold at all well (the DS was outselling it in the PSP's opening week)

Dagless
Dec 29, 2005, 06:29 AM
DS reasons;
cheapest
Animal Crossing
Mario kart
Advance Wars
free online
long-ish battery life (nothing compared to the SP and Micro though)
robust as bloody hell

PSP reasons;
GTA (which pales compared to its predecessors)
free online, until Sony start charging for it.

in the UK you can get a DS and 4 DS games, or you could buy a PSP Giga Pack with no games.
speaks volumes.

Also how would you feel paying for a film twice? even more for the UMD. I saw part of a film on a PSP once and I gotta say I'd much rather see it on my 32" living room TV. a brand new DVD here will set you back £12, a UMD costs £15-£20. which is the most retarded thing I've seen a company as big as Sony do.
OH! its only light-hearted. but I was on the bus yesterday taking my Micro back to the shop, and there were these 2 scallies sat behind me and my mate. One had just bought a PSP game and was playing away on it. Only Tom asks if he could look at my Gameboy cuz he's never seen a GBM in real life. I open the box and all that, and the scally behind says "whoa!" and im sat there thinking... you won James. you won.

MacRy
Dec 29, 2005, 06:32 AM
Ive played both, now in my opinion, PSP has the graphics and style but DS has the gameplay, you gotta think to yourself what you will be playing more, simulators(realistic games like for example gran turismo) or games like mario kart. They both have different styles.

It isn't all simulator type games though. For example Crash Tag Team Racing for the PSP is in a similar vein to Mario Kart (although Mario Kart does rule!).

Patmian212
Dec 29, 2005, 06:35 AM
It isn't all simulator type games though. For example Crash Tag Team Racing for the PSP is in a similar vein to Mario Kart (although Mario Kart does rule!).

HEHE it was more of a generalisation, DS has fifa but the psp does sims better then the DS and the DS does fantasy better then the psp in my opinion.

Chaszmyr
Dec 29, 2005, 06:54 AM
PSP looked better to me at first, but when i played them PSP was exactly what I was expecting and DS was more than I was expecting. I'd get the DS and save some money.

rumbletum
Dec 29, 2005, 07:07 AM
I've had both machines since launch, and think they're both great but at the moment the DS seems to be racing ahead with the quality of games available. Although I have a fair few PSP games, very few of them are 'must haves', whereas on the DS the 'must have' list keeps growing and growing.

Of course the PSP has the additional function, ie media player etc, but it depends whether thats useful to you or not.

The one thing where the PSP is streets ahead is design and quality, it really is a desirable piece of kit where the DS looks and feels cheaply made.

Dagless
Dec 29, 2005, 07:58 AM
The one thing where the PSP is streets ahead is design and quality, it really is a desirable piece of kit where the DS looks and feels cheaply made.

might wanna take a trip into the real world there, the PSP does look and feel better but have you not heard the stories of them being a tad delicate? they can die after a single drop with motors and lasers etc. the DS may feel cheaper but its a tank, I've dropped mine onto a tiled floor twice from hand level and its honky dory. a handheld needs to be tough like that, more so than a console because they're exposed to more dangers.

great design and hardware quality is one thing but its an extremely bad idea if it sacrifices the machines strength.
but hey, being able to survive a single fall is a requirement for me. maybe other folk don't mind about delicate gadgets.

greatdevourer
Dec 29, 2005, 08:10 AM
Also how would you feel paying for a film twice? even more for the UMD. I saw part of a film on a PSP once and I gotta say I'd much rather see it on my 32" living room TV. a brand new DVD here will set you back 12, a UMD costs 15-20. which is the most retarded thing I've seen a company as big as Sony do. Even better, you can buy a proper portable DVD player (4.5" screen) for about 1/4-1/3 the price of a PSP

johnnyjibbs
Dec 29, 2005, 08:35 AM
I'd go with the DS as that has more originality and a lot of games. But you can play movies on the PSP (if you fancy buying all your DVDs again for £20 on UMD, just so that you can watch them on that tiny screen, that is! :rolleyes: )

rumbletum
Dec 29, 2005, 08:36 AM
might wanna take a trip into the real world there, the PSP does look and feel better but have you not heard the stories of them being a tad delicate? they can die after a single drop with motors and lasers etc. the DS may feel cheaper but its a tank, I've dropped mine onto a tiled floor twice from hand level and its honky dory. a handheld needs to be tough like that, more so than a console because they're exposed to more dangers.

great design and hardware quality is one thing but its an extremely bad idea if it sacrifices the machines strength.
but hey, being able to survive a single fall is a requirement for me. maybe other folk don't mind about delicate gadgets.

Well I look after my gadgets ;)

I've no doubt that it is stronger, but it still LOOKS and FEELS cheaply made.

MacRy
Dec 29, 2005, 08:47 AM
I'd go with the DS as that has more originality and a lot of games. But you can play movies on the PSP (if you fancy buying all your DVDs again for 20 on UMD, just so that you can watch them on that tiny screen, that is! :rolleyes: )

Ah but you don't have to buy all of your DVDs again because you can convert them for your PSP and have them on a memory card using FFMPEGX or similar.

freeny
Dec 29, 2005, 08:49 AM
PSP for sure. Im guessing that there are many great games to come for this big screened gem!!

PharmD
Dec 29, 2005, 09:51 AM
I buy a handheld for games, not to watch movies. DS by and large has the best games of ANY system right now. Whenever I'm on the metro to school, which is prime gaming time, I also have my laptop if I wanted to watch movies. Go Go DS!!!

Dagless
Dec 29, 2005, 09:56 AM
Ah but you don't have to buy all of your DVDs again because you can convert them for your PSP and have them on a memory card using FFMPEGX or similar.

assuming your watching a good quality DivX or whatever the PSP reads won't the films need to be about 700mb? how much does a 1gb Memory stick thingy cost anyways :cool:

Dagless
Dec 29, 2005, 10:00 AM
I buy a handheld for games, not to watch movies. DS by and large has the best games of ANY system right now. Whenever I'm on the metro to school, which is prime gaming time, I also have my laptop if I wanted to watch movies. Go Go DS!!!

RZOMG! U BUY GAEMS 4 UR HANDLED! OMG!!1 HANDLELD 4 MUVIZ N FINGZ DAT R NOT GAEMS!!!1 HAHAhaha GAMEMS SUXXORTS! DS LUKS LIEK POO SO IT IZ POO!!!!1 ROFL!

* i dont know what came over me, but that seems to be the thinking these days for game systems. of course games are secondary these days, duh!

wwooden
Dec 29, 2005, 10:03 AM
assuming your watching a good quality DivX or whatever the PSP reads won't the films need to be about 700mb? how much does a 1gb Memory stick thingy cost anyways :cool:

Less then $50 if you get the Giga pack.

wwooden
Dec 29, 2005, 10:07 AM
I definitely fall into the PSP type. I have played with a DS and it was fun, but the games are not my type, they feel very cartoony. I like FPS and simulation racing games. I tried the Metroid and Golden Eye games on the DS and they didn't do it for me.

Dagless
Dec 29, 2005, 10:12 AM
a 2nd hand PSP with 2 games and a 1gb stick costs £269.00
£269 will buy you the most popular handheld and pretty much all its most popular games out. well, 7-8 games. or 6 games with an extra battery pack, case and a rare collectable stylus. 6 games would be Animal Crossing, Nintendogs, Mario Kart, Tony Hawk, Sonic Rush and Warioware.

or you could get a brand new giga pack for £209 with no games. thats a DS and 5 games.

speaking about the games (most important part about a game system no?). in Game PSP games cost MORE than their PS2 counterparts. how on earth did that happen? a DS game will cost you £25. PSP games £5-10 more. for a storage medium that is cheaper to produce than flash carts... again... how did that happen?

virus1
Dec 29, 2005, 11:14 AM
thanks guys. i think the psp is incredibly expensive now that i look at it. to have most of it's uses as a media player, you need to get a memory card on top of the $250 system. and movies on it, while is cool, is just not practical because of the price of them, and the screen size.

it is so dissapointing though how easy it would be for nintendo to make the ds have psp style. just drop all the ugly shapes about it, drop the huge gba slot, cover it in shiny metal and make it thinner. i suppose that is what i think about all portable electronics. i mean isn't it easier to have it look good? so you don't have to design all the ugly shapes....

getting carried away though here. i guess it comes down to pride. if it is worth being seen with a big looking POS. i used to tease the DS because it looked terrible and the dual screens looked dumb, but playing on it is just right.. you know? kinda like when you hold a new ipod..

thanks ppl

thumper
Dec 29, 2005, 11:36 AM
DS battery last 10 hours
PSP only lasts about 2

when i play my PSP im always close to a wall
cuz i got the AC pluged in. portable??? i dunno...

the PSP is cool.. but if you have a PS2 already... its kinda the same
thing but the graphics arnt as good and the porty games are striped down.
i was gonna get Starwars battlefront for the psp.. but then i found that i could get the PS2 version for the same price and it had more features...
so i ended up buying the PS2 verson. more 'bang' for my buck.

the DS on the other hand as some really neat games
that you can only play on the DS.

Mario Kart
Animal Crossing (this is not a kiddy game)
Castelvania DoS
Mario and Luigi
Advance Wars
Mario 64DS
Nintendogs
and Final Fantacy 4 for the GBA slot

is what i got right now...
and i think thats all i need to keep me
busy for the next 2 YEARS!!!

the PSP games just dont really do it for me
GTA is ok, but id rather play GTA SA on the PS2
which is 20times better.

the PSPS has a nice big screen.. but i couldnt even watch
lord of the rings on that with out the battery dying half way.

you can buy the add on for the DS which will make it play movies
sceen is small but, it works and you could watch over 4 full movies b4
the battery dies. the PSP you can only wach 1 if your lucky

Dagless
Dec 29, 2005, 11:48 AM
hah, somebody removed my comment aye? so comments like mine can go but Nimbus's winking messages remain?

what a glorious fair world this is!

rumbletum
Dec 29, 2005, 11:49 AM
DS battery last 10 hours
PSP only lasts about 2

If your PSP battery is only lasting 2 hours there's something wrong with it.

Dagless
Dec 29, 2005, 11:57 AM
thanks guys. i think the psp is incredibly expensive now that i look at it. to have most of it's uses as a media player, you need to get a memory card on top of the $250 system. and movies on it, while is cool, is just not practical because of the price of them, and the screen size.

it is so dissapointing though how easy it would be for nintendo to make the ds have psp style. just drop all the ugly shapes about it, drop the huge gba slot, cover it in shiny metal and make it thinner. i suppose that is what i think about all portable electronics. i mean isn't it easier to have it look good? so you don't have to design all the ugly shapes....

getting carried away though here. i guess it comes down to pride. if it is worth being seen with a big looking POS. i used to tease the DS because it looked terrible and the dual screens looked dumb, but playing on it is just right.. you know? kinda like when you hold a new ipod..

thanks ppl

You made the sensible choice :)

The DS isn't brilliantly beautiful but hey, I play games. I don't care what the system looks like, I wouldn't mind playing the DS if it looked like the original design! OMG! im SO rebellious ;)
but seriously. there is a remodelled DS coming out soon. to follow the styling of the Revolution. so in theory it should be beautiful.
the GBA port is kinda needed. it opens up a massive (potential) array of accessories. there's already a rumble pack out, stick a gyroscope in there and effectively you could play your Rev with a DS. plus being able to play GBA games on another system isn't a bad thing. If it adds to the cost then I don't think the new DS will have the GBA CPU, purely to keep costs down.

I wonder what the Sony fanboys will be saying about the DS when its remodelled look is beautiful. it seems all they do is crap on about how bad the DS looks.

virus1
Dec 29, 2005, 12:09 PM
what is this movie accessory for the DS?

virus1
Dec 29, 2005, 12:10 PM
what is this DS movie adaptor? how does it work?

Viewtiful Rich
Dec 29, 2005, 12:22 PM
I'll put it this way until I got Kingdom hearts II (Japanese version of course), I was putting way more time on my DS than my Gamecube and PS2... it's more balanced for the time being, but that's only because KHII is freakin incredible! (Everyone, I repeat everyone should check this game out when it hits your region)

I love sleek gadgets (it's certainly not top priority though), and that side of me wants the PSP, but I've had to step back and tell myself... you're not going to buy UMD movies, you hate paying $30 for portable games so why on earth would you want to pay $40-50. What it really comes down to with me though is that most the time I play my portables at home and honestly I have a PS2, so I don't see the point in getting one... I'd rather play on my TV.

And yea I can't wait for the DS redesign, I hope they make it more ergonomic, and put bigger more "pushable" buttons on it. And of course brighter screens, thinner, and longer battery life goes without saying. I'm also hoping they expand the DS's interface, online pictochat, among other things.

MacRy
Dec 29, 2005, 12:37 PM
If your PSP battery is only lasting 2 hours there's something wrong with it.

Or you don't actually have a PSP and you're trashing it for the sake of it. Mine lasts way longer than 2 hours!

Symtex
Dec 29, 2005, 12:45 PM
This thread is not suprising me. The Nintendo DS seems to appeal to the majority of Macrumors who are already Nintendo fans. I, myself, have a PSP. I use it mostly has a media hub and it was my intention from the get go to use it that way. So i'm very satisfied with the quality of the PSP as a media player. I can rip movies and musics. Works for me.

Nintendo DS has no games that appeal to me. no offense. I'm not a mario kart kinda guys so I don't ever see myself owning a Nintendo DS. Doesn't mean it's not a good machine but it's not something for my taste.

virus1
Dec 29, 2005, 01:03 PM
You made the sensible choice :)

The DS isn't brilliantly beautiful but hey, I play games. I don't care what the system looks like, I wouldn't mind playing the DS if it looked like the original design! OMG! im SO rebellious ;)
but seriously. there is a remodelled DS coming out soon. to follow the styling of the Revolution. so in theory it should be beautiful.
the GBA port is kinda needed. it opens up a massive (potential) array of accessories. there's already a rumble pack out, stick a gyroscope in there and effectively you could play your Rev with a DS. plus being able to play GBA games on another system isn't a bad thing. If it adds to the cost then I don't think the new DS will have the GBA CPU, purely to keep costs down.

I wonder what the Sony fanboys will be saying about the DS when its remodelled look is beautiful. it seems all they do is crap on about how bad the DS looks.
when is the new one coming out? the decent looking ds that follows the revolution?

how did you know they will be doing it? is it just a prediction, or is there some real source for that? .. sorry if it seems like i am trying to disprove you, it is just that i will definitely wait for that if that is true.

Dagless
Dec 29, 2005, 02:23 PM
Its true there is a redesign hitting us, I'd say it will be here before the Revolution or about the same time it launches. Reggie said so :D

Its just the rumour mob speaking but they're all saying its going to look like a mini-powerbook. which I suppose looks similar to a Revolution, if there was a silver Rev i mean.

There are a few movie-add devices for the DS, which either take SD/MMC or CF cards. all of which are considerably cheaper than Sony's proprietary stick. The most sought after one is the M3 Adapter which can play roms, films, pretty much do anything. It even builds the bridge for DS Linux :D and upcoming free DS homebrew games like Doom DS. and apparently can get rid of the annoying health n safety screen.

ChrisBrightwell
Dec 29, 2005, 02:32 PM
i am stuck midway. [...] advice?What kind of games do you play/enjoy?

I don't know much about the PSP library (I just got mine for Christmas), but the DS has most game genres covered pretty well. Since launch, though, my DS has been playing games almost every day. I'm not sure I'll be able to say the same about the PSP.

The PSP is a nice piece of hardware, but I just don't think the games are there (yet?) for it to even approach the DS from a gamer's perspective. If you want something you can load your movies onto, check a few light websites, or play a specific game or two, the PSP is the way to go.

If you want Mario Kart, Metroid Prime, Zelda (eventually), Animal Crossing, and access to hundreds (if not thousands) of GBA titles, the DS is where it's at.

All that said, for gaming, I put my money on the DS.

ChrisBrightwell
Dec 29, 2005, 02:35 PM
This thread is not suprising me. The Nintendo DS seems to appeal to the majority of Macrumors who are already Nintendo fans. I, myself, have a PSP. I use it mostly has a media hub and it was my intention from the get go to use it that way. So i'm very satisfied with the quality of the PSP as a media player. I can rip movies and musics. Works for me.This is alarmingly common, now that I'm digging into the PSP community. More people, in general, are interested in buying a PSP to play movies and music they already own (or loading it with homebrew for NES emulators and such) than they are in buying PSP games and UMD movies.

I must admit, though, that I tend to feel the same way. I got Lumines and Infected for Christmas. Lumines is fantastic (as is Meteos, which was designed by the same guy), but Infected leaves a bit to be desired. I look around and, quite frankly, there aren't that many PSP games that I'm even interested in. I, too, was more drawn to the media player functionalities than its game roster.

After G
Dec 29, 2005, 03:01 PM
The fact that the PSP didn't really have a game library I'd enjoy turned me away from it (though I was thinking of getting one). I kept asking people what good games I would enjoy (I like quirky games like Katamari Damacy) and PSP users I know kept saying stuff like:

"It looks good."
"It does everything like movies and music."
"You can emulate everything on it."
"The DS is so clunky."
"The graphics are so good."

Regarding that last one, I've seen my PS2. It'd probably look good on a smaller screen but there's just general boxiness all around.

But they never told me of any actually good games for the system (I know, Lumines, but they're not really into puzzles, so they didn't care). So here I am with a DS, WarioWare Touched, and having fun.

Laser47
Dec 29, 2005, 03:04 PM
I can definitely vouch for the DS being tough. My DS has fallen 9 feet onto a marble floor, dropped countless times on pavement, and thrown into a wall once. And it still works. And i would also like to add that all those events happened when my 5 year old sister was in possession of my DS.
Ive played the PSP and didint really like it, not because I dont like the Playstation but because most of the games for the PSP are remakes from the PS2. And also the DS's touch screen is just cool.

greatdevourer
Dec 29, 2005, 03:30 PM
The most sought after one is the M3 Adapter which can play roms, films, pretty much do anything. It even builds the bridge for DS Linux :D and upcoming free DS homebrew games like Doom DS. and apparently can get rid of the annoying health n safety screen. 1) I'd recommend the SuperCard - it's cheaper, is better support, is more updated and Romman doesn't steal other peoples code (much of the M3 firmware is off the SC)
2) That's not the adapter - using a PassMe (or SuperPass or whatever) makes it appear only for a second, and FlashMe get's rid of it completely (as well as the need for a PassMe - however, you need a PassMe to flash it in the first place)

ijimk
Dec 29, 2005, 03:37 PM
i for one vote DS due to Mario kart DS nuff said :P

risc
Dec 29, 2005, 03:43 PM
i for one vote DS due to Mario kart DS nuff said :P

MarioKart and Metroid Prime pinball are the only 2 reasons I can see for owning a DS, every other game I've tried has been pretty lame! I've owned both the DS and PSP since they were launched in Japan last year. Both are nice enough but I prefer the games on the PSP.

MacRumorUser
Dec 29, 2005, 04:25 PM
PSP looked better to me at first, but when i played them PSP was exactly what I was expecting and DS was more than I was expecting. I'd get the DS and save some money.

That pretty much sums up my experience. I bought the psp at Japan Launch last year (import) and part from a couple of launch titles there hasn't been that many games of greatness in the year since, bar GTA & Wipeout Pure.

Yes it looks stylish, the ceramic white one looks even nicer (especially with a mac). Yes it can play Mp3's... But I have an ipod for that...
Yes it can play UMD movies... But I'm not paying 25 Euro for a heavily encoded version of a movie I already own on DVD.
Yes it can play mp4 files... But I can't be bothered to spend all night encoding and ripping files with a handful of applications and trying to make sure they cram onto the EXPENSIVE memory stick duos (Damn Sony's proprietary formats). Remember 512mb gives you 460 and 1gig about 900mb only...

Sure i did both those things mp4 & mp3 when I got the machine to show off to others, "woo look at this.." but the novelty wore off.

The DS I was reluctant to ever get, even though I generally have always bought a Nintendo handheld since the original GB. It just looked so bloody ugly and gimmicky.

It was only when one day I had surplus credit to spend in GameStop that on a whim I decided to pick up the MarioKart bundle that I got one. Ignoring the aesthetics, I love the machine.

All its features when exploited really do change the way you game and impress you. Sonic Rush's use of dual screen and fantastic game-play is so solid. MarioKart's ease of online racing is a joy, more so than the babbling morons you have to listen to on Xbox Live. The touch screen when utilized takes player immersion to a new height, Kirby's Paintbrush or Mario's mini-games :)... Then there's Animal Crossing. I love that game and being able to visit some of the other members of this forums Animal worlds is charming.. Even if you do accidently ruin their petunia's...

My pre-conceptions of the PSP were accurate and it does it's job and I'm glad about that. My pre-conceptions of the DS were not, and it's delighted me and excited me much more because of it. :D

gangst
Dec 29, 2005, 04:55 PM
I have a PSP and I have played on a DS a few times and personally I think that the PSP blows the DS away.
The graphics are a lot better than the DS, the PSP is brilliantly designed and with a decent memorystick you can have videos, music, photos etc.
The games on the PSP also feel more playable as the controls are so similar to the PS2 and suit the PSP really well.

If I were in your situation I would definately wait for the PSP, in the long run I think it is worth it.

GFLPraxis
Dec 29, 2005, 05:04 PM
1) I'd recommend the SuperCard - it's cheaper, is better support, is more updated and Romman doesn't steal other peoples code (much of the M3 firmware is off the SC)
2) That's not the adapter - using a PassMe (or SuperPass or whatever) makes it appear only for a second, and FlashMe get's rid of it completely (as well as the need for a PassMe - however, you need a PassMe to flash it in the first place)

The M3 firmware is partially from the MP (which most of the team worked on, I emailed asking about it).

I'd say the M3. I plan to get one soon. It has the movie playing software built in and supports a LOT of software, while you'll have to mess with third party ones on the supercard (which you can also put on the M3 anyway). It has built in GBA and NDS multibooters for homebrew and roms (before someone proclaims that roms are illegal, you can buy for $10 the equipment to rip your own GBA roms- if you rip the roms yourself they are legal backups. Only downloading roms is illegal), and all kinds of stuff. Most of this can be downloaded, again, with Supercard, via third parties, but its more integrated on the M3.

And finally, the M3 has a bunch of built in emulators. That's a big one because last I heard the third party emulators suck- NesDS can't save, SnesDS has terrible compatability and messes up almost anything you can imagine running. The M3 has Game Gear, Game Boy and Game Boy Color, SNES, NES, and FC emulators built in.

I plan to rip all my old black-and-white GameBoy games and put them on the M3 so I can play them on my DS :)

However, the Supercard is slightly cheaper and you can get *most* of the same stuff with some work by putting various third party apps on there.

Oh yeah, and for PassMe, I'll explain how this works.

If you buy an M3 or Supercard, it goes on the GBA slot. If you boot from the GBA slot, the DS automatically only uses the slower processor, less RAM, one screen, no touch sensing, and it turns off WiFi- basicly, just the GBA parts of it run.

If you put a PassMe in the DS slot and an M3 or Supercard in the bottom slot, then run it like a DS game, it will run the PassMe, which simply tells the DS to run whatever is in the bottom slot like it was in the top. THEN you can run stuff with both screens and the faster processor and WiFi and touch sensing etc.

If you want to, you can put a firmware patch called FlashMe on the M3 or Supercard and install that- it modifies the firmware so that you don't need PassMe anymore (booting holding a certain button down starts whats in the GBA slot like it was NDS), and removes the health and safety warning.

nightdweller25
Dec 29, 2005, 05:21 PM
I have both and the PSP really does have a lot of good games (SSX On Tour, GTA, Burnout, Prince of Persia) and you don't ave to buy the UMD movies, let's say your going on a trip, just rent the movie for the trip. The DS though also has good games such as Mario Kart and Warioware but that's pretty much all there is to it, good gameplay. Two totally different systems. Think of what you are going to do with it.

Ultimate-Omen
Dec 29, 2005, 06:42 PM
i am stuck midway.

the ds is cheap.

the psp has the style.

i can afford the ds with a game and a case right now, but im 80$ or so away from an unarmed psp. is it worth the wait? i have games that i would love that are on either platform that aren't on the other. gta on the psp and Trauma Center: Under the Knife on the DS.

advice?
well...when ds came out, i jumped on the chance and bought one. I loved it simply because it brought back so many of my N64 moments (*sigh*). But as of a few weeks ago i began looking at psp game trailers. I eventually broke down and got one and i think it's money well spent. Its kind of like having an ibook and a powerbook, the ibook (example for the ds) is a laptop that you arent scared to take somewhere because you know it's durable and strong. the powerbook (psp comparison) on the otherhand, while also fairly durable, is just too friggen pretty to take anywhere and often gets babied. i love both my psp and ds and dont regret buying either of them, if you get the chance in the future go for both.

rulesaremyenemy
Dec 29, 2005, 07:11 PM
I am a huge Nintendo fanboy, but I decided to purchase a PSP over a DS. The homebrew scene for the PSP has exploded. I do not have the money to buy games that often, so the ability to watch movies on the memory stick, surf the web (as well as remotely control iTunes and VLC with a custom web interface), control my powerbook and imac remotely with VNC, emulate, play homemade games, and a lot of popular ports (like quake and doom) makes my PSP a complete entertainment system.

DrNeroCF
Dec 29, 2005, 07:32 PM
People always gush over the PSP's screen, but no one has the balls to talk about how bad the refresh rate on the thing absolutely sucks. Sure it's big and bright, but run sideways in GTA and your character looks like he has 8 legs. It's not so bad when watching movies, but come any action in any quick paced video game, and the entire screen blurs like hell. Play a movie on it, then play a movie on a video iPod. One looks incredible, one does...

That's right, I said it. The PSP screen is not good for playing games. Nor is load times... or expensive portable games... or that abomination that tries to be a joystick... or the open face design... or the high development costs... or the bad ports of console games... or the non-pick-up-and-playability of it...

Funny thing is, the DS has a pretty good homebrew scene going on too. I just haven't checked it out, too busy playing the 12 games I have that are all incredible.

Dissing 'cool' things is so much fun. :cool:

Play a man's game, like Animal Crossing! :D

2nyRiggz
Dec 29, 2005, 07:37 PM
i got both and if it wasnt for socom, tokobot and GTA my psp would only be used for movies which is still a good thing. i got my DS last week and its alright....mario cart is of the chains and kirby is great.....get both ya cheap bastard:p

Bless

Patmian212
Dec 29, 2005, 07:39 PM
The only thing I see missing from the DS is a FPS game, and if there is one someone inform me ASAP!

Dagless
Dec 29, 2005, 08:16 PM
The only thing I see missing from the DS is a FPS game, and if there is one someone inform me ASAP!

Metroid Prime Hunters is an online FPS game, with, apparently, a very large single player campaign similar to its massively popular Gamecube brethren. I dont know about how people play Socom here but I found it so terrible to control. The PSP is NOT made for games like that. seems to be more racing games is its forte.

But hey! If emulating is what you want then forget the PSP completely. the GP32/2X homebrew community is simply epic. probably because its been going longer. plus you can use regular SD cards for that. which are very cheap. AND they openly accept homebrew! no need for silly hacking. I dont think there are commercial games for it but y'know. like people have said here... if you don't buy many games (pour example, moi) then perhaps something like the GP system is the best bet. its also hellofalot cheaper than a PSP and just a bit more than a DS. it even comes with its own little version of Linux as a mini-OS.

Patmian212
Dec 29, 2005, 08:21 PM
Metroid Prime Hunters is an online FPS game, with, apparently, a very large single player campaign similar to its massively popular Gamecube brethren. I dont know about how people play Socom here but I found it so terrible to control. The PSP is NOT made for games like that. seems to be more racing games is its forte.

But hey! If emulating is what you want then forget the PSP completely. the GP32/2X homebrew community is simply epic. probably because its been going longer. plus you can use regular SD cards for that. which are very cheap. AND they openly accept homebrew! no need for silly hacking. I dont think there are commercial games for it but y'know. like people have said here... if you don't buy many games (pour example, moi) then perhaps something like the GP system is the best bet. its also hellofalot cheaper than a PSP and just a bit more than a DS. it even comes with its own little version of Linux as a mini-OS.

Ill definitley buy it when its out, but its still atleasst 3 months away from europe, any FPS out for the GB ADV or DS now?

GFLPraxis
Dec 29, 2005, 08:40 PM
There are FPS for DS, but they suck. GoldenEye: Rogue Agent, Splinter Cell DS, and King Kong DS.

Look up reviews for the first two, don't even bother with the third, I played it; one of the worst games ever made. Was like a 3 or 4 on IGN.

I really don't understand how the PSP can have the few FPS it does have, like Star Wars Battlefront. No right analog means there you have to use the FACE BUTTONS to look around (I tried that setting in Metroid Prime Hunters, and it was terrible in comparison and I immediately went back to touch screen control). Ew.

If there are any FPS for GBA, they would all be sprite based and terribly controlled since GBA has no 3d GPU.

HiRez
Dec 29, 2005, 09:40 PM
I'm going to wait for a DS redesign. I felt like a sucker for having bought the GBA twice, but well, the GBA SP was a huge improvement over the original. What I want in it:

-- Smaller case. Hopefully newer battery/power-saving technology could compensate for the smaller size to keep the battery life the same as it is now. As it is now, the DS barely qualifies as "portable" in my book. I'm looking for something that could honestly be described as "pocket-sized". They did a good job shrinking the GBA->SP->Micro, so I'm confident it can be done. I also hope it'll be more stylish, the current DS is a six-beers console.

-- Screens slightly larger, brighter, and more evenly lit if it can be managed (ok if pixel count stays the same).

-- Screens closer together. Move them closer to the hinge, and reduce the size of the hinge so they are almost touching. This would make games that span across the screens such as Metroid Pinball a lot better.

-- Small amount of onboard flash RAM for storing a few files, such as game backups or text documents (like say, game walkthroughs, or an address book, whatever).

-- Web browser built into onboard flash RAM, upgradeable directly via the net.

Make these changes and keep the price the same and I'm in!

bousozoku
Dec 29, 2005, 10:19 PM
I got a red DS with Mario Kart a week before Christmas along with Metroid Prime Pinball and I love the thing. I was concerned that the displays were difficult to view and that it would be uncomfortable but I was blown away playing pinball on the thing and Mario Kart is great fun, even though I've only played against the bots.

I've viewed the music videos on the PSP and listened to it and I just wasn't impressed. It looks extremely nice, but it's not a museum piece and I wouldn't mistake it for the elegance of a Movado watch although that seems to be Sony's intent. Kutagiri (?) didn't want me to touch his buttons and I'm not--I didn't buy one. That's not to say that I don't like recycled PS2 games on a portable system. It's too much money for not enough system trying to be too much to too many people.

TheMasin9
Dec 29, 2005, 10:24 PM
i like the psp for the interface with computers better, that is one claim that the ds cannot take, right?

Sol
Dec 29, 2005, 10:37 PM
If there are any FPS for GBA, they would all be sprite based and terribly controlled since GBA has no 3d GPU.

I have Doom for the GBA and thought that it was pretty good. The controls were fine on that, partly due to Doom's limited controls in the first place, ie. no look up or down and no jump. Of course the graphics were very pixelated and the frame rate slow compared to Metroid Prime: First Hunt but what would you expect on the GBA? Other good FPS games for the GBA are Doom 2, Duke Nukem Advance and Serious Sam.

The Nintendo DS library has grown a lot in the last quarter of the year. Now you have several AAA titles to choose from and many more decent games. The PSP library by comparison is a work-in-progress; lots of titles, a couple of gems. As for the screens, the PSP might have higher resolution but the second screen of the Nintendo DS makes up for it. Maro Kart DS is the best example of how a second screen can improve gameplay.

In regards to using a PSP for media playback I would recommend the iPod over it any day. iTunes is the killer app that SONY will never have and I would not bother managing a music library without it. If you must watch films on the go, a DVD converted for the 5G iPod would be cheaper and more compatible than a UMD disc.

HiRez
Dec 29, 2005, 11:03 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in general aren't PSP games a bit more expensive than DS games as well? I was glancing at games for both systems in a Target the other day and it seemed like the PSP games were on average about $10 more, which could add up over time.

Ultimate-Omen
Dec 30, 2005, 12:06 AM
People always gush over the PSP's screen, but no one has the balls to talk about how bad the refresh rate on the thing absolutely sucks. Sure it's big and bright, but run sideways in GTA and your character looks like he has 8 legs. It's not so bad when watching movies, but come any action in any quick paced video game, and the entire screen blurs like hell. Play a movie on it, then play a movie on a video iPod. One looks incredible, one does...

That's right, I said it. The PSP screen is not good for playing games. Nor is load times... or expensive portable games... or that abomination that tries to be a joystick... or the open face design... or the high development costs... or the bad ports of console games... or the non-pick-up-and-playability of it...

Funny thing is, the DS has a pretty good homebrew scene going on too. I just haven't checked it out, too busy playing the 12 games I have that are all incredible.

Dissing 'cool' things is so much fun. :cool:

Play a man's game, like Animal Crossing! :D
don't be hatin':p :p :p

GFLPraxis
Dec 30, 2005, 02:10 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in general aren't PSP games a bit more expensive than DS games as well? I was glancing at games for both systems in a Target the other day and it seemed like the PSP games were on average about $10 more, which could add up over time.

Yes, DS games are $30 to $40 (only some greedy third parties charge $40- Nintendo first party games are $35 or below, and most of the $40 ones suck). PSP games are $40 to $50.

Dagless
Dec 30, 2005, 10:34 AM
I'm going to wait for a DS redesign. I felt like a sucker for having bought the GBA twice, but well, the GBA SP was a huge improvement over the original. What I want in it:

-- Smaller case. Hopefully newer battery/power-saving technology could compensate for the smaller size to keep the battery life the same as it is now. As it is now, the DS barely qualifies as "portable" in my book. I'm looking for something that could honestly be described as "pocket-sized". They did a good job shrinking the GBA->SP->Micro, so I'm confident it can be done. I also hope it'll be more stylish, the current DS is a six-beers console.

A smaller case would be nice. but not too small, I wouldn't want them sacrificing the important parts of a handheld. battery life, grip etc.

-- Screens closer together. Move them closer to the hinge, and reduce the size of the hinge so they are almost touching. This would make games that span across the screens such as Metroid Pinball a lot better.
If the screens were closer now then games like Metroid Pinball and Sonic would be messed up. I think Nintendo have missed the boat there.

-- Small amount of onboard flash RAM for storing a few files, such as game backups or text documents (like say, game walkthroughs, or an address book, whatever).

-- Web browser built into onboard flash RAM, upgradeable directly via the net.
Nintendo wouldn't do that. However I could easily imagine some 3rd party company or even through homebrew, that you could turn the DS into an organiser with web capabilities. Remember Nintendo are only interested in games. They've been and done the whole system thing before (N64DD, online NES) so they will only add these if they added real value to a system and not just a novelty.

and yea, Doom GBA was very good! to say it was a fully working handheld 3D FPS dating back to 2001. I liked it. I'm after Doom 2 now :cool: or Doom DS. I even think Doom DS has an online multiplayer mode, or was it local...

cwedl
Dec 30, 2005, 10:59 AM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3632796742315484146&q=psp++vs+ds

sorry couldn't resist!

jdechko
Dec 30, 2005, 12:08 PM

sorry couldn't resist!

That was halarious. About the only thing it was missing is the DS to climb back up on the table (in one piece of course) and knock the PSP onto the floor where it would break into a hundred pieces. (though that would suck that they broke the PSP and waste their money, so I understand.

NerdBoy
Dec 30, 2005, 01:57 PM
I own both and they are both awesome. It just depends which matters more to you: Lots of time-tested franchices and revolutionary gameplay, or multimedia capablities and graphics.

rulesaremyenemy
Dec 30, 2005, 02:38 PM
Both of these systems are excellent, there is no denying that. We are fortunate enough to have a competitive portable gaming market (as opposed to the nintendo monopoly of the last 10 years). If you think you would be happy with either set of games, then you must take the other features of each system into account. i think the simple ability to connect the psp to your mac is a clear advantage for the PSP. You can pick up a 1 gig Memory Stick Pro Duo (http://froogle.google.com/froogle_cluster?q=1+gig+memory+stick+pro+duo&pid=4834532080208299392&oid=3997536340994420880&btnG=Search+Froogle&lmode=&addr=&scoring=p) for as little as $65. To play movies or music on a DS you need something like the Play-Yan ("http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?products_id=6239&likref=froogle3), which costs around $80. Then you have to spend another $50-$60 on an SD memory card (http://froogle.google.com/froogle_cluster?q=1+gig+sd+flash+memory&pid=2099693203333659089&oid=7787234445270106582&btnG=Search+Froogle&lmode=&addr=&scoring=p). Even with the Play-Yan you still can't surf the web, emulate, or use any of those other nifty little homebrew programs. To do that you have to buy a PassME (http://www.dspassme.com/). The PSP was designed to be a well rounded media system from the beginning, these same abilities are just now being written for the DS. Your basic necessities for a portable gadget (a game system, wifi, usb, ir, web browser, picture viewer, music, and movie player) are all available right out of the box. The PSP's screen makes any of these activities enjoyable. Also, the development scene for the PSP is much farther along. Having a full client's for VNC, FTP, and IRC on your portable system is incredibly useful (You can fit all of this and emulators on the packaged 32mb memory stick with plenty of room to spare). There's even a group developing GPS integration. I've been having so much success with the homebrew stuff that I haven't bought another game for the system since it's launch (I play a lot of Lumines, and borrowed Untold Legends from a friend).

I know there are cheaper options to accomplish some of the things my PSP can do, but I don't think you can find all of them in one gadget without sacrifices. I'm saving right now so that i can purchase a PSP2TV (http://gear.ign.com/articles/666/666034p1.html) and bring my portable fun to a big screen. The biggest downfall of the PSP is that it doesn't play DS games.

MacRy
Dec 30, 2005, 02:57 PM
Both of these systems are excellent, there is no denying that. We are fortunate enough to have a competitive portable gaming market (as opposed to the nintendo monopoly of the last 10 years). If you think you would be happy with either set of games, then you must take the other features of each system into account. i think the simple ability to connect the psp to your mac is a clear advantage for the PSP. You can pick up a 1 gig Memory Stick Pro Duo (http://froogle.google.com/froogle_cluster?q=1+gig+memory+stick+pro+duo&pid=4834532080208299392&oid=3997536340994420880&btnG=Search+Froogle&lmode=&addr=&scoring=p) for as little as $65. To play movies or music on a DS you need something like the Play-Yan ("http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?products_id=6239&likref=froogle3), which costs around $80. Then you have to spend another $50-$60 on an SD memory card (http://froogle.google.com/froogle_cluster?q=1+gig+sd+flash+memory&pid=2099693203333659089&oid=7787234445270106582&btnG=Search+Froogle&lmode=&addr=&scoring=p). Even with the Play-Yan you still can't surf the web, emulate, or use any of those other nifty little homebrew programs. To do that you have to buy a PassME (http://www.dspassme.com/). The PSP was designed to be a well rounded media system from the beginning, these same abilities are just now being written for the DS. Your basic necessities for a portable gadget (a game system, wifi, usb, ir, web browser, picture viewer, music, and movie player) are all available right out of the box. The PSP's screen makes any of these activities enjoyable. Also, the development scene for the PSP is much farther along. Having a full client's for VNC, FTP, and IRC on your portable system is incredibly useful (You can fit all of this and emulators on the packaged 32mb memory stick with plenty of room to spare). There's even a group developing GPS integration. I've been having so much success with the homebrew stuff that I haven't bought another game for the system since it's launch (I play a lot of Lumines, and borrowed Untold Legends from a friend).

I know there are cheaper options to accomplish some of the things my PSP can do, but I don't think you can find all of them in one gadget without sacrifices. I'm saving right now so that i can purchase a PSP2TV (http://gear.ign.com/articles/666/666034p1.html) and bring my portable fun to a big screen. The biggest downfall of the PSP is that it doesn't play DS games.

*sigh* nice post but why bother mate. You're just going to have the DS crowd shout you down about how the DS RULES OMG!!!!11ONE!! Shall we just say that the PSP is rubbish and the DS rules them all and save all of the bickering.
:rolleyes:

Sol
Dec 30, 2005, 08:22 PM
Even with the Play-Yan you still can't surf the web, emulate, or use any of those other nifty little homebrew programs.

What you failed to mention was that the latest firmware for the PSP prevents those emulators and "nifty little homebrew programs" to run on the PSP. I think the latest games need the latest firmware to run so you would have to choose between your emulators or the games written for the PSP in the first place.

I also want to know how useful the PSP web browser is on a screen smaller than VGA and with no keyboard to type in those long URLs, fill forms, etc. Like music and video on mobile phones, this sounds like another gimmick that seems novel at first but then gets forgotten.

As for connecting the PSP to the Mac, I have been using my Mac's Airport for going online with Mario Kart DS for weeks. My music goes where it belongs: my iPod.

2nyRiggz
Dec 30, 2005, 09:11 PM

sorry couldn't resist!

ummm ok right. the psp shoulda wireless mind punch the DS, the DS might try this trick but it cant remember the psp user settings(a la Mario kart) so failed to connect fast enough to deliver the death blow

Bless

rulesaremyenemy
Dec 30, 2005, 09:32 PM
What you failed to mention was that the latest firmware for the PSP prevents those emulators and "nifty little homebrew programs" to run on the PSP. I think the latest games need the latest firmware to run so you would have to choose between your emulators or the games written for the PSP in the first place.

Most games that have been released work with firmware version 2.0, which allows homebrew code to be run. Yes there are two new updates (2.5 and 2.6) that block homebrew, so you have to choose between the latest games and homebrew software.

I also want to know how useful the PSP web browser is on a screen smaller than VGA and with no keyboard to type in those long URLs, fill forms, etc. Like music and video on mobile phones, this sounds like another gimmick that seems novel at first but then gets forgotten.

The PSP browser is incredibly useful. Typing does take some getting used too, but i usually only use the browser to check my most frequently visited sites, or find something on google. I wouldn't recomend trying to type out a post as long as this one. You can navigate through most common sites without too much of a problem. The screen is not a replacement for a regular monitor, but then again which portable screen is? One of the most useful aspects of the browser is that i can use PHP to launch applescripts. This allows me to use my PSP as a remote for iTunes and VLC. I also created a neat little system of creating stickies on my Powerbook's desktop.

As for connecting the PSP to the Mac, I have been using my Mac's Airport for going online with Mario Kart DS for weeks.

When I meant connecting the PSP to the Mac I was referring file transfers with USB and FTP.

My music goes where it belongs: my iPod.

I keep my music on my iPod too, but there are times when it's not feasible to carry both. At these times it's nice to have access to the small selection of songs i keep on my PSP.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that my PSP is the "Swiss Army Knife" of my gadgets.

GFLPraxis
Dec 31, 2005, 12:57 AM
ummm ok right. the psp shoulda wireless mind punch the DS, the DS might try this trick but it cant remember the psp user settings(a la Mario kart) so failed to connect fast enough to deliver the death blow

Bless

A la Mario Kart?...the wireless settings are saved in the firmware, why wouldn't it be able to remember? What are you talking about? Sorry, the post confused me. Both have 802.11b...

Ultimate-Omen
Dec 31, 2005, 01:08 AM
I guess the point I'm trying to make is that my PSP is the "Swiss Army Knife" of my gadgets.
cause switzerland is at the height of technology?[/sarcasm]:D

2nyRiggz
Dec 31, 2005, 01:46 AM
A la Mario Kart?...the wireless settings are saved in the firmware, why wouldn't it be able to remember? What are you talking about? Sorry, the post confused me. Both have 802.11b...

You'll have to input the Friend Code, as well as connection settings into every game you play, as the console doesn't store that information. If you move the game to a different system, the card requires you to reset your WFC ID or transfer the WFC ID from the old system to the new one before playing on WFC. The WFC ID ties the game card and a specific DS system together for online play. If you choose to reset your WFC ID instead of transferring it over, you'll end up with a completely new Friend Code that you'll have send to all of your buddies.

should of made it more clear on what i was saying....oh well...just for jokes

Bless

Dagless
Dec 31, 2005, 07:53 AM
You'll have to input the Friend Code, as well as connection settings into every game you play, as the console doesn't store that information. If you move the game to a different system, the card requires you to reset your WFC ID or transfer the WFC ID from the old system to the new one before playing on WFC. The WFC ID ties the game card and a specific DS system together for online play. If you choose to reset your WFC ID instead of transferring it over, you'll end up with a completely new Friend Code that you'll have send to all of your buddies.

should of made it more clear on what i was saying....oh well...just for jokes

Bless

woooah daddio, from now on I think i'll ignore your messages until you get swotted up on the DS. the settings are saved in the firmware, you do NOT have to re-enter the settings in for each game! I'm running Mario Kart and Animal Crossing online, and I sure as hell did not need to enter my router settings twice.

as for the friends thing, I'm glad its like that. its also the way Nintendo intended it to be. Sure if you have lots of online games then you have to enter friend codes left right and centre but it stops me playing against people I dont want to play against.
I have mates on Mario Kart that I would never let into my Animal Crossing village. they'd just destroy it.
you can also transfer your wireless settings with no problems too. just select "transfer settings" on the wireless menu. just incase you got yourself one of these new upcoming DS's ;)
the system works fine for me. I hope the Revolution has a similar system.

Sol
Dec 31, 2005, 08:48 AM
Mario Kart DS automatically goes online on my system. I don't know about using the same cartridge on a different DS but for most players going online is an automatic process.

Dagless
Dec 31, 2005, 09:16 AM
It depends on the router. I jump between 3 places; my house, my girlfriends uni house and my mates house. all 3 routers have to be manually configured... all use the same BT Voyager router. its not hard though, just manually enter your IP and DNS. but my girlfriends parents house has a PC/router/server thingy that is fully automatic to connect with the DS.

2nyRiggz
Dec 31, 2005, 01:40 PM
woooah daddio, from now on I think i'll ignore your messages until you get swotted up on the DS. the settings are saved in the firmware, you do NOT have to re-enter the settings in for each game! I'm running Mario Kart and Animal Crossing online, and I sure as hell did not need to enter my router settings twice.

dont need to be swotted on anything fella:D ignore all you want. although i had the DS for a short time i understand what i need to know. i havent had a problem with my DS either, i read it on gamespot.com

Bless

GFLPraxis
Dec 31, 2005, 01:59 PM
Yeah, Friend Codes are stored seperately in each game because your friends might not all have the same games, but Wi-Fi settings are stored in the firmware.