Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCoogs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2014
Is the apple TV 3 ALWAYS supposed to be powered on even when its sleep? The reason i ask is, i run my apple TV Via my Note 3, because the LTE speeds are faster than my home network.

I've noticed every time i walk into my apartment, the Apple TV is one of the first devices to connect to my phone. My question is, if i put it to sleep, why is it still connected to my wifi even when its sleep? Should i just unplug it every time i leave? Because no matter how i turn it off, if its still plugged in, it stays connected to my wifi.

I got it for christmas, and my electricity bill shot up over 100 bucks from last month, i'm trying to narrow down what the cause was, one of the things i was thinking is because the apple TV was on 24 hours a day and connected to my Wifi.

anyone have any knowledge about this?

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
Is the apple TV 3 ALWAYS supposed to be powered on even when its sleep? The reason i ask is, i run my apple TV Via my Note 3, because the LTE speeds are faster than my home network.

I've noticed every time i walk into my apartment, the Apple TV is one of the first devices to connect to my phone. My question is, if i put it to sleep, why is it still connected to my wifi even when its sleep? Should i just unplug it every time i leave? Because no matter how i turn it off, if its still plugged in, it stays connected to my wifi.

I got it for christmas, and my electricity bill shot up over 100 bucks from last month, i'm trying to narrow down what the cause was, one of the things i was thinking is because the apple TV was on 24 hours a day and connected to my Wifi.

anyone have any knowledge about this?

its always "on". it goes into sleep or standby mode, where it basically listens for IR signals, and airplay signals. according to a quick google search it uses 1.9W when "on" and .8W when "off". assuming an electricity cost of 11 cents/kw-hr, then over a month you get .15$ when its "on" the entire month.

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
There's no conceivable way that an Apple TV could increase your electricity bill by $100 per month. Perhaps you’re using more heat during the winter months than you were in the fall?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
There's no conceivable way that an Apple TV could increase your electricity bill by $100 per month. Perhaps you’re using more heat during the winter months than you were in the fall?

None what so ever. The circuitry couldn't handle the amount of amperage required to do so. Unless electric in your area is 200-300 times higher then average.

Quick math, .3 amps (amp rating on ATV) x 120 (volts) = 36 watts/hour. 36 w/h x 24 hours x 30 days = 2592 watts/month / 1000 = 2.592 kilowatts a month

So about 2.6 kW monthly running at it's limit none stop 24/7. So that's worse case scenario.

I think my electric per kilowatt is 12 cents give or take. So 31 cents give or take for it to be running at full tilt.

Generally high electric bill in the winter is from the heating. If you have a heat pump with electric back up heat and the heat pump itself is malfunctioning then your bills can go through the roof. To put it in comparison AppleTV is 6watt (+/-) its not uncommon for a heat pump to have 15000watts (15kW) of electric heat back up.

GoCoogs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2014
thanks guys, i was confused because i used my heater all last month too, actually less than i did in the month of December due to me leaving my apartment for almost a week for christmas.

Turns out it was the heated blanket i bought. I used it almost every night since its gotten cold here. And i had it on from my sleep time around 1130, all the way to 7-8am every weekday. I had no idea a heated blanket used that much power.

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
You're not supposed to leave the blanket on when you are in the bed, it's supposed to be used to warm the bed before you get in. Check the instruction leaflet or online. :rolleyes:

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
If you got it for christmas it's the 2013 version. Anandtech compaired the ATV3 (2012) with the ATV3 (2013) and this are his power measures:
A1427 (2012) to A1469 (2013)
Idle - Min Power (Ethernet Connected) 1.41W to 0.70W
Photo Stream Scrolling (CPU Test) 1.84W to 1.07W
Skyfall 1080p iTunes Trailer (Ethernet) 1.58W to 0.81W
Skyfall 1080p iTunes Trailer (5GHz WiFi) 1.55W to 0.85W
Netflix 29.97 Short (Ethernet) 1.62W to 0.85W

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.