Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hsaybasili

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
I've got an ibook g4 1.33 12" (the new ones with 512 Mb of built-in RAM ). The problem is, when the battery is charged, orange light never becomes green. When I bought it, everything was normal. Suddenly the green light disappeared. Fully charged (it is always 99% charged even if macosx says that it is fully charged. But regarding the information on the apple's web site this is normal, so I believe in them :) ) or not, there is always an orange light. I resetted PMU but nothing has changed.

I also checked the bottom: when the little button on the battery pack is pressed, all the lamps are green, so it means the battery is fully charged, but why the adapter is always orange???

Technical support could not solve the problem (in approx. 1 month!!!). They said that they have changed the board but I have always the same problem.

Have you got any suggestions? There is anyone experienced the same problem before?

I don't know what to do. I bought it 3 months ago, and this is really annoying. I want my normal iBook back, with orange and green light, not just orange.

I've forgot to mention: after seeing 99% charged battery indicator, I've waited for 4 hours but It does not becomes green as indicated in other posts.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
Do you know anybody else with an iBook so you can swap power packs? That way you'll know if it is your computer or just the power pack that is the source of the problem. Have you fully cycled the battery -- letting it run completely empty -- and then fully charged it again?? My 14" iBook G4 is 2+ years old and the battery is down to about 30% of original capacity, but this has never been an issue for me. Although for a while, the power plug was glowing green even when it was not plugged into the computer! Weird... I get the feeling that there's some sort of black magic at work with this power plug light...

hsaybasili

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
They said that battery and adapter are tested. But maybe it is a good idea to test it with the power pack of some of my friends.

I had fully cycled it yes. But I am doing it again, there is now a DVD movie playing again and again :) In 20 minutes it will be completely empty. I am going to recharge it without using it.

I hope this black magic will disappear very soon :)

eRondeau said:
Do you know anybody else with an iBook so you can swap power packs? That way you'll know if it is your computer or just the power pack that is the source of the problem. Have you fully cycled the battery -- letting it run completely empty -- and then fully charged it again?? My 14" iBook G4 is 2+ years old and the battery is down to about 30% of original capacity, but this has never been an issue for me. Although for a while, the power plug was glowing green even when it was not plugged into the computer! Weird... I get the feeling that there's some sort of black magic at work with this power plug light...

ph0rce

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2005
i'm colourblind....

Well i'm colourblind and i did not relise it changed colour :( will ask one of my parents about it lol

i got the 1.33GHz 12" too :D "Hey brother!"

semaja2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Adelaide
you should use cocunut battery and x-charge to see what goes on with your battery for me it showed i had more power in my battery :D

d_and_n5000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
interesting. Well, at least ya got it fixed. My homeroom teacher(her iBook is very prolific on these boards)'s iBook's adapter never glows. It may just be the green that's gone bad for some reason though. It's always charged and always plugged in. I don't know why. Oh well, I should be happy. I called dibs on her computer if it goes bad, and she gets a new one!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.