Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

super_kev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
USofA
To whom it may concern,
In the past, I've been able to list several things for sale in the marketplace, and I just tried to list another item (SE30 proc upgrade, free) and I can't post a new thread. I've noticed that the site now has posting requirements of 100 posts. I realize this is an effort to stop bad users/feedback, but I'm not one to post all the time unless I can help someone or if I have a question, and so after several years, I have under 20 posts.

Now, I don't want to have to go and hit the "reply" button 80 times and make worthless posts just so I can list something in the marketplace. For one, I'm not the type of person to just type "I agree" or "Yep" and hit the reply button just so I can up my post count. You and I can see that it might take me a while to rack up another 80+ posts. I could do it within a few months if I visited here every day and spent a few hours browsing the forums looking for users who needed help, but that doesn't help the fact that I still want to get rid of something now.

One of the forums I'm a member at (ls1tech.com) requires a min. of 50 posts in order to post a new thread in the for sale section. I was able to rake in that number within a few weeks since that's my life, but a min. of 100 posts for a computer forum is, to be blunt, crazy. I would recommend a user feedback system like LS1Tech.com and ARS Technica has, that way users can rank other users. I have refs on eBay as well as many forums, and most users today have either refs from eBay or arstechnica (Beerology feedback system) so one should be able to get some good information on whether the seller is a flunk or not. Come on people, ask for pictures from certain angles, call the person, look at the way they write and spell, whatever. There will always be a bad deal out there, but I think the current post limit does more harm than good.

Please reconsider the min. limit of posts to be at least less than 50. I'm sure there are quite a few decent, honest Mac users like myself that can't offer this community their things because of this rediculous post requirement.

Sincerely,
super_kev

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
Sorry, but it seems pretty fair to me. It's a nice buffer to ensure that the people posting stuff have been around a while. I think you might be out of the ordinary.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Maybe the Marketplace forum should be seen as an extra, a little bonus for regular forum members. Not as an automatic right for those who are here infrequently.

The new system seems to be working as well as can be expected.

The feedback system has been discussed before and it was thought that it could also be open to abuse and may possibly represent further work for the moderators.

Here's a couple of other threads on the matter:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/144287/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/168914/

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Well if you have been here "several years," it's probably time for you to use one of your "older" member accounts -- and ask for a grandfathered account.

Otherwise claiming years on a year old account makes you look like a flake. ;)

You may have lurked awhile, but this 100 post limit is there to get you active and give people a chance to know a little about you. Something that doesn't happen in 20 posts.

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
it is not to diffucult to get 100 posts if you spend time here
i got my 1st 100 in 2 or 3 week
and now i post in the marketplace everyday numerious times

super_kev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
USofA
Sun Baked said:
Otherwise claiming years on a year old account makes you look like a flake... ...You may have lurked awhile...

Sorry, did I come off as a flake? Yes, I lurked for a while before finally registering.

Blue Velvet said:
Not as an automatic right for those who are here infrequently.

With all due respect, just because I don't post here enough doesn't make me an infrequent member. I was here before the minimum post system went into account, and I'm frustrated that I can't post stuff for sale when I used to be able to, so I was just pointing out some suggestions that might help improve the forum.

For all of you, I can see your point, but I would argue that it's easy for you to say since you have lots of posts under your belt. Put youself in my shoes for a bit. I have a life; I can't afford to visit these forums every day and find something I can help with. Granted, it looks like I'll have to start doing that until I get my 100 posts. And before any of you say put it on eBay, I'm not going to pay $5 to put something up that I'm giving away for free. I just thought that someone here might want it before it hits the trash bin.

I should have just thrown it out instead of posting this thread. :rolleyes:

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
doucy2 said:
it is not to diffucult to get 100 posts if you spend time here
i got my 1st 100 in 2 or 3 week
and now i post in the marketplace everyday numerious times

Amen, so do I, but I've started to come out into the public forums a little more.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
Sorry for the inconvenience, but the system we've got in place works well for us and has significantly cut down the problems such a forum can introduce.

Keep on posting relevant info - and use other sales channels for the time being until you hit the minimum 100 posts. We appreciate your not wanting to be a spam poster just to hit that mark.

Mud

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
super_kev

Sorry you got affected by the new system. I don't think people were grandfathered in, but perhaps they should have been.

arn

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
super_kev said:
I have a life; I can't afford to visit these forums every day and find something I can help with.

I just get tingly all over (even in my special places) when newer members ingratiate themselves to others on this board.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Do you realize that with all the typing/time you spent making and checking this thread, you probably could have made almost 25 or more posts, which would have gotten you that much farther to the 100 needed?

Don't think of it as making 100 posts to get into the marketplace. Think of it as you're just talking with everyone. Before you know it, you'll have 100 posts, trust me.

Now, let's think of this. If you were a member here, who posted every day numerious :p times, would you be more comfortable buying something from someone who had just joined today and posted their $4,000 PowerMac for sale or someone who has been a member for a long time, been active on the forum (say they made 2,000 posts). At least that's how I think of it...who would join MacRumors, spend hours upon hours making 6k+ posts, and then scam someone? Understand? If someone makes 100+ posts, there's a pretty high chance they're going to continue to be active on the forums, assuring that everyone can get to know them better and they can become a "part" of the community.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
super_kev said:
With all due respect, just because I don't post here enough doesn't make me an infrequent member.

'With all due respect' usually means nothing of the sort, and yes, I would argue that not posting here makes you an infrequent member. I would have thought that would have been pretty obvious, even to someone who 'has a life'.

Perhaps if you'd been here more frequently, then you would have known about these rule-changes when they happened over four months ago.

Every so often, someone comes along here and has a moan about why the rules about avatars, postcounts, marketplace etc. are unfair, taking them as a personal affront and an impediment to their involvement on these boards.

I see nothing different in your case at all... except that you had become accustomed to a situation that has now changed for very good reason and which now inconveniences you.

But this 100-post requirement has a greater overall benefit to this community and also has a great deal of support amongst its members. I'm sorry that it happens not to suit you — but that's just the way it is.

I look forward to seeing more of your contributions in the future so that you can partake of all of the benefits of being a regular member here.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
ok guys... closing this thread.

There are definitely regular members who simply don't post, and the intention is not to try to exclude them. It was an unfortunate side effect of trying to make the marketplace a little more trustworthy.

I'll look into it, perhaps grandfathering people in from before, but that will take a few steps. Will keep you posted.

arn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.