Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Hi Everyone,

My iDVD 5.0.1 install has been giving me fits for the last few weeks with this error. I've tried everything from rebuilding the project to reinstalling iDVD and clearing every cache on the system. No luck.

It seems to render everything just as it should, then I get an error along the lines of, "Errors were found during the burn process." and all I get is the error number "-34506".

I click "OK" and I'm greeted with another message about a multiplexer error. It's not a "Not enough free space ... " error, either, so I'm officially stumped.

I tried reading up at the apple.com/support forums, but no one has been able to find the cause (or a consistent solution) to this, nor is anyone at Apple proving to be much use.

Is anyone else seeing this? Have you resolved it? If so, how?

Thanks.

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
It appears to be a general error code that is used in various situations. I've seen reports of people fixing the error variously by:

* Trashing their iDVD preferences
* Freeing more disk or memory space
* Repairing disk permissions

Make sure that all the resources you are using are stored seperately on your hard disk. For instance, when importing an iMovie file:

* Export iMovie file as a full quality dv file using the File - Share... menu option. Then open the iDVD project, remove the old iMovie version of the video and import the dv file. Save as disk image.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
mdavey said:
* Trashing their iDVD preferences
* Freeing more disk or memory space
* Repairing disk permissions
Done, done, and done.

Make sure that all the resources you are using are stored seperately on your hard disk.
I'm using a big stack of .dv files, all written by QT7 Pro.

Save as disk image.
I tried that, but it never gets that far. The multiplexer barfs every time.

I'm going to try opening it on my friend's Powerbook in DVD Studio Pro and see what happens. I'm hoping it can open an iDVD 5 project and will burn it for me.

This has been quite frustrating, to say the least.

sk3pt1c

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
a simulacrum
i'm not sure about this but i think that multiplexing thing means that there's a problem between video and audio
is your video taken from a dv camera?
maybe something happened during the pass from camera to video editing to video output that idvd is stumbling upon

C1ndyluhu

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2008
iDVD Error #-34506

This is just a follow-up with some alternate suggestions. I've had this same error several times and none of the suggested remedies worked. However, I did find several problems that might be affecting others. In all cases, I was making a movie using still photographs imported into iMovie via iPhoto. Here is the cause of the error in the last three iDVDs I made:

1. Eliminate any movie files imported via iPhoto: When importing pictures into iPhoto, any movie files (.MOV and .AVI) from my digital camera were also imported into iPhoto. As a result, when I imported an album from iPhoto into iMovie, those movie files are placed in the movie via the "Photos" pane, not the "Clips" pane. Removing these movies allowed the burn to proceed. I have not tried to add the movies back into iMovie via the "Clips" pane.

2. Convert purchased music files: Using music purchased through the iTunes music store seems to cause problems as well. Whenever I need to use a song I purchased via the iTunes store, I have to convert it to .aiff, burn it to a CD, and then reimport it into iTunes (thus eliminating the proprietary encoding) before using it in iMovie/iDVD.

3. Check the file size of your DVD: I'm not sure why, but apparently iDVD will only let you burn a 4Gb DVD, even though a DVD is supposed to hold 4.7Gb (is part of it used up by formatting?). In my latest iDVD project, I was adding DVD-ROM material (hi-res original copies of the photos I used in the movie). I kept looking at the project size menu, and it looked okay, but apparently those numbers change once it starts encoding (?). So I made sure to use background encoding and scaled the size of the DVD-ROM portion of the disk. Worked like a charm. The weird thing was, it didn't give me a DVD "size" error until I took care of #'s 1 and 2. So the 34506 error may be disguising other problems.

Hope these solutions will save someone the frustrations I went through....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.