PDA

View Full Version : a/v out cable

jkelly888
Dec 29, 2005, 05:26 PM
how would i go about playing videos that are onmy ipod on my tv.
i have a cable that plugs into my moms dvd player to play movies on the tv. it has the 3 plugs on one end and it also has the plug that looks like a headphone plug but has 3 rings instead of 2. would that cable work?

adk
Dec 29, 2005, 05:42 PM
probably. I know that you can use those types of cables from camcorders with the Ipod. If it doesn't work try switching the cables around until it works, because it may end up being backwards.

puckhead193
Dec 29, 2005, 05:48 PM
probably. I know that you can use those types of cables from camcorders with the Ipod. If it doesn't work try switching the cables around until it works, because it may end up being backwards.
for me i switched the red and the yellow and it worked!

randas
Dec 29, 2005, 05:49 PM
^- exactally, apple switched the wireing around to try trick you into needing their cable; i think you just have to switch the red&yellow plugs.

jkelly888
Dec 29, 2005, 05:51 PM
what are the video settings supposed to be?

randas
Dec 29, 2005, 05:52 PM
On what? The TV?

jkelly888
Dec 29, 2005, 05:52 PM
On what? The TV?
yes

mduser63
Dec 29, 2005, 06:10 PM
^- exactally, apple switched the wireing around to try trick you into needing their cable; i think you just have to switch the red&yellow plugs.

No, sorry. Apple wasn't trying to trick anyone. It was good engineering on Apple's part. Sony (and other companies) can do whatever they want with the wiring on their video/audio out jacks on their camcorders. Apple had to make a jack that was compatible with standard headphones as well as video out. Because the camcorder cables are not wired with audio on the same pins as a regular headphone cable, the color-coding is not correct when used with the iPod. That's not Apple's doing, it's the camcorder manufacturers "fault". The only way around it would be to use a switching circuit that would put audio on the regular headphone pins when headphones were plugged in, but switch things around when a video cable was plugged in. That would add to the iPod's cost, complexity and power consumption.

ignus graius
Dec 29, 2005, 07:15 PM
how would i go about playing videos that are onmy ipod on my tv.
i have a cable that plugs into my moms dvd player to play movies on the tv. it has the 3 plugs on one end and it also has the plug that looks like a headphone plug but has 3 rings instead of 2. would that cable work?

Put the red cable in the yellow slot, but if you want the right and left audio channels to be correct, you need to also put the yellow cable in the white slot and the white cable in the red slot.

jkelly888
Dec 29, 2005, 07:20 PM
Put the red cable in the yellow slot, but if you want the right and left audio channels to be correct, you need to also put the yellow cable in the white slot and the white cable in the red slot.
it didn't work. i got a bad picture signal. mabye its the cable thats causing that

wattage
Dec 29, 2005, 07:55 PM
I did this today. Bought an off-brand iPod Photo AV & Audio cable, the package says it is for use with iPod Photo. I started out by switching the cables as stated on these forum, I got good audio, but the video scrolled and was black and white. I played with it some more and found this to work the best:

I hooked the cords up as usual> yellow-yellow, red-red, wht.-wht. And turned the TV setting to "ASK" instead of yes or no. Then it worked fine and flawless.

jkelly888
Dec 29, 2005, 08:11 PM
I did this today. Bought an off-brand iPod Photo AV & Audio cable, the package says it is for use with iPod Photo. I started out by switching the cables as stated on these forum, I got good audio, but the video scrolled and was black and white. I played with it some more and found this to work the best:

I hooked the cords up as usual> yellow-yellow, red-red, wht.-wht. And turned the TV setting to "ASK" instead of yes or no. Then it worked fine and flawless.
what does the ask function mean?

wattage
Dec 29, 2005, 11:11 PM
what does the ask function mean?
Three options for TV: On, Off, or Ask (as in ask you each time you load a video if you want to output to a TV or not)

mduser63
Dec 30, 2005, 01:55 AM

The reason you didn't have to switch the colors is because you bought a cable specifically made for the iPod.