Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xtempo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
I have tried to figure this out but I really can't seem to get them to talk together.

Using Wireless. Both using Leopard and not showing up. Also can I get a Vista or Win7 to see the macs? I didn't have problems with the B & W G3 I had but that was running tiger.

What am I missing?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have tried to figure this out but I really can't seem to get them to talk together.

Using Wireless. Both using Leopard and not showing up. Also can I get a Vista or Win7 to see the macs? I didn't have problems with the B & W G3 I had but that was running tiger.

What am I missing?
Try turning off the firewall.

System Preferences>Security>Firewall tab. You want, "Allow all incoming connections"

xtempo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
on both the firewall is off. All incoming is allowed.

so is there anything else?

xtempo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
Will I need to get a router or a ethernet cable to connect them directly? since it seems I can't do it wirelessly.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Are the Vista and 7 clients on the same network? Try going to System Preferences ---> Network ---> Whatever Interface ---> Advanced ---> WINS ---> Workgroup:

Ensure that everything matches up. Then go to Sharing in System Preferences and ensure that File Sharing is turned on.

xtempo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
thank you got both macs talking to each other now trying to get windows but the macs sharing was more important.
:D

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Windows runs under a file sharing method called a workgroup and later HomeGroup. This generally provides ample capabilities for the average home network. File Sharing under Sharing in System Preferences runs over an Apple protocol to share amongst Macs. You must have File Sharing enabled and be part of the same Workgroup (Case-Sensitive) to share with Windows clients.

xtempo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
Somehow my macs are talking to my windows (Vista and Win7) but I have had trouble in the past though it doesn't matter since I can transfer files a hard drive.

I wonder if it matters that 2 systems out of 4 are using the same wireless dongle which 1 is mac and 2 vista. That shouldn't matter should it?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Depending on your network setup then it shouldn't. If you are trying to do this on say a business LAN where the wireless and wired clients are on separate networks then yes it will make a difference.

I did not understand your last post. Do the Vista PC and one of the wireless Macs now communicate based off of my instructions?

xtempo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
the macs work fine but not windows.

Does it matter that I have the same wireless USB dongle on two different systems?

I get the internet fine but for some reason when I try to see the mac in windows it doesn't work. When I try to see the Vista/Win7 in OS X it does not show.

Yes I have done what you've said. For some reason when I had a mac running Tiger it was easier to work but that didn't last too long though so maybe its my home network not playing nice with windows and the macs.

I don't have tiger anymore or the G3 and G4 just using Leopard.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I just tried to access a PC across the network from an iBook running Tiger, PowerBook running Leopard, and a MacBook Pro running Mavericks. All are working beautifully. If you only need to share briefly consider running an ad-hoc network from a PC and connecting the Mac to it. This will troubleshoot the problem. Also, on the PC ensure that sharing is turned on in Network and Sharing Center. If you are running Windows XP, run the Network Setup Wizard to connect it to the workgroup.

xtempo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
I will stick with a HD in Fat32 if I need to share files which doesn't happen too often. Thanks for the help.

xtempo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
I thought I posted it but maybe not. I tried the steps and it didn't work.

The main thing was getting the macs sharing which was accomplished so thank you.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
So does the Mac just simply not see the PC despite being on the same Workgroup, or does it simply fail to connect. Windows and Mac sharing has always been iffy at least in my experience but I am glad you got Mac sharing running.

xtempo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
each os does not see the other os which is really weird so the mac can't see windows nor windows the mac

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Here is one of the last things I can think of. Start the Windows PC to the desktop, select the wireless or Ethernet icon and open Network and Sharing Center. On the side will be Advanced Sharing Settings, click on it. Turn on Network Discovery, File and Printer Sharing, and Enable File Sharing for devices that use 40- or 56- bit encryption. Also try disabling password protected sharing.

xtempo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
It still won't show but its fine I can use my Acer for those files if I need to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.