PDA

View Full Version : Odd photo Quirk

e˛Studios
Dec 29, 2005, 09:48 PM
I took this with a 35mm Canon EOS, the print looked "normal" but when i scanned the negative this is what i got. Was this from the Nikon negative scanner, bad processing of the negatives, or the CRT guns from the TV messing with my camera?

None of my digital cameras do this so i thought it was odd. Any ideas?

Photo on right is Digital Camera, on Left is the 35mm

Ed

Lacero
Dec 29, 2005, 09:58 PM
First picture looks pretty scary. Reminds me of The Ring.

Here's to the Crazy Ones http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35452 (http://www.uriah.com/apple-qt/movies/think-different.mov)

ITASOR
Dec 29, 2005, 10:03 PM
Wait....I don't see what's odd in the first one? :confused: I'm really confused...

e˛Studios
Dec 29, 2005, 10:19 PM
Wait....I don't see what's odd in the first one? :confused: I'm really confused...

Look at the TV and compare them, its a minor thing I just found it interesting that the image was so distorted color wise. I couldnt figure out where in the chain it did that, i figure it was either in processing the negatives, the nikon scanner freaked out, or something with the TV (its a CRT RPHDTV so it has CRT guns in it) and the camera not liking each other.

Ed

Forced Perfect
Dec 30, 2005, 10:14 PM
I very much doubt it is the CRT "guns" messing with the camera. It could simply be something like the flash hitting it on a weird angle or some other TV voodoo.

Forced Perfect
Dec 30, 2005, 10:17 PM
Delete this one too...

Forced Perfect
Dec 30, 2005, 10:19 PM
The hell? Must have reloaded weird.

Delete this one.

jlgrafix
Jan 5, 2006, 09:21 AM
It has something to do with digital cameras.

I came across something similar when trying to photograph the panasoinic screen in Times square.

My lower end (nikon 2100) put lines across the screen and discolored the image, but my friend who had her high end digital SLR camera took the photo perfect. Not sure of the reasoning, but just thought I would let you know that I came across something similar.

rjphoto
Jan 6, 2006, 01:03 PM
1. Scan time of a CRT is 1/30th of a second so your shutter speed on the film camera needs to be slower than that. There is slight color distortions at the top and bottom of the screen. Since there are most likely 3 CRT guns firing at different times the whole pictures is there but discolored. On a CRT monitor there would be black bands, not dicoloration.

2. The film camera's "color balance" is "set" for flash/daylight. The digital camera's "auto white balance" adjusted itself to the screen since you didn't use the flash in that shot.

So, there is nothing wrong with cameras or scanner.

iGary
Jan 6, 2006, 01:06 PM
1. Scan time of a CRT is 1/30th of a second so your shutter speed on the film camera needs to be slower than that. There is slight color distortions at the top and bottom of the screen. Since there are most likely 3 CRT guns firing at different times the whole pictures is there but discolored. On a CRT monitor there would be black bands, not dicoloration.

2. The film camera's "color balance" is "set" for flash/daylight. The digital camera's "auto white balance" adjusted itself to the screen since you didn't use the flash in that shot.

So, there is nothing wrong with cameras or scanner.

What he said.