Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fantom555

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
New York City
i know iOS has bbm but its not the same i wish there was a similar app to bbm for apple lovers so we can chat and have contacts just for chatting. maybe i am missing the app but we don't have our own chat app:(

pk7

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
We do...it's called iMessage

its called iMessage......

My understanding is that unlike BBM, iMessage uses your personal information and displays it to the person on the other end, and BBM only uses PINs, so it would be more suitable for someone you barely know or someone you met online or something. Those aren't situations where I'd use iMessage, or lend out any personal information at all.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
My understanding is that unlike BBM, iMessage uses your personal information and displays it to the person on the other end, and BBM only uses PINs, so it would be more suitable for someone you barely know or someone you met online or something. Those aren't situations where I'd use iMessage, or lend out any personal information at all.

I don't think it displays personal information but yes, iMessage works off your phone number or your email addresses. Unless you create an anonymous email address that you associate with iMessage that you give out to people, it's not as anonymous as just a PIN.

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010

You can disable showing your phone number and choose any email address you want as your ID, or even create an email address just for this. Just as good as PIN if not better.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
Someone needs to stop sexting random people and concentrate on meeting a nice girl you can give your iMessage number to.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You can disable showing your phone number and choose any email address you want as your ID, or even create an email address just for this. Just as good as PIN if not better.
Yup, that's an option, so shouldn't really be any worse than BBM in that respect.

SuperPolli

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2013
New Jersey
i know iOS has bbm but its not the same i wish there was a similar app to bbm for apple lovers so we can chat and have contacts just for chatting. maybe i am missing the app but we don't have our own chat app:(

It's called iMessage. Built right into the phone just like BBM was for Blackberry all those years ago. Imagine that...

Fantom555

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
New York City
iMessage dosent have groups and u can't post your pin to make friends. so iMessage works like bbm for delivery but it does not have the grouping aspect so its not the same.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
iMessage dosent have groups and u can't post your pin to make friends. so iMessage works like bbm for delivery but it does not have the grouping aspect so its not the same.

it does have group chat actually.. i use it daily

i don't think you know what you want tbh.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
BBM is a piece of crap. I was trying to reply to a message and then the app tells me I have no open chats. I check my contacts and it says I have 0. Try to re-sign-in and it changed my PIN. So I lost 50~ contacts (some whose only contact into I had was BBM) and then changed my PIN so those people could no longer message me.

I went to BBM forums, and emailed support - got nothing, so just deleted the app.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
You could also just use BBM and a PIN for sketchy people off the internet. iMessage doesn't give your personal data... So using your phone number or an email of choice is possible.

hrrslmpk

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2013
You could also just use BBM and a PIN for sketchy people off the internet. iMessage doesn't give your personal data... So using your phone number or an email of choice is possible.

Why would you want to talk to sketchy people?

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Why would you want to talk to sketchy people?

I don't, but I was referring to Pk7's post where they implied that as a reason to have a PIN over a phone number or email address: anonymity.

I'm not sure the point of this discussion anyways since BBM is available on iOS, so you can just use that should you really want to. ;)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don't, but I was referring to Pk7's post where they implied that as a reason to have a PIN over a phone number or email address: anonymity.

I'm not sure the point of this discussion anyways since BBM is available on iOS, so you can just use that should you really want to. ;)
Well, realistically speaking, you should be able to make up a random email address and associated it with your Apple ID and use it for that kind of anonymity as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.