Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jreck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2014
I'm running Powerpoint in OS X Maverick and trying to use several different Spaces. If I have a powerpoint window open in more than one space, when I try to switch to the presentation in the other space, seems like Powerpoint picks which one is "active" and switches to it automatically with no input from me. The way this becomes irritating is having Powerpoint open in Space #1 and having a full screen PPT file open in Space #2. I try to 4 finger swipe to the full screen PPT and it swipes over to Space #2 then automatically switches back to Space #1. If I then immediately swipe a 2nd time then it will stay on Space #2 which I want to look at. So every time I open a full screen PPT presentation, I have to swipe over twice to look at it. This is true whether the PPT in the second space is in full screen or just sitting in regular window mode.

I think it is auto switching to whichever space Powerpoint is opened on, but I'm not totally sure about that. So far I've seen one other post that looks like it is this exact same problem but it's from 2011. It's only MS Powerpoint that causes this problem.

Any ideas anyone? Or at least someone else having this issue?

ultraspiracle

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Yes, I can confirm this behavior exactly.

Someone needs to file an official bug report with Apple for anything to get done about it. Better yet, ask MS support about this issue. Seems like some new incompatibilities and weirdness is occurring with several apps and the new implementation of spaces on Mav's.

The best workaround at this point is to just maximize PPT on the screen rather than fullscreening it.

jreck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2014
And maybe start a support group because this makes me progressively angrier the longer I'm using my computer, and I eventually want to hurl the laptop from a tall rooftop. I spoke with apple support and they were of absolutely zero help. I would be interested in talking to Microsoft people and seeing what they say about it. I don't think the problem has generated enough noise to be a concern for them.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
And maybe start a support group because this makes me progressively angrier the longer I'm using my computer, and I eventually want to hurl the laptop from a tall rooftop. I spoke with apple support and they were of absolutely zero help. I would be interested in talking to Microsoft people and seeing what they say about it. I don't think the problem has generated enough noise to be a concern for them.

The truth is it's Microsoft's responsibility since they are the developer, it's not the responsibility of Apple. The developers are given the OS and they are suppose to make sure their software works with the new system. I hate to say don't count on a fast fix though, Microsoft puts Apple's customers on the back burner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.