PDA

View Full Version : upgrading 3g iPod hard drive

asphalt-proof
Dec 30, 2005, 10:00 AM
I read an article about upgrading a 4g iPod hard drive and was wondering if anyone has been able to do this with a 3g. A new 20gig hd from toshia is $95. Much cheaper than buying a refurb. Anyone done this?
Here is the article
http://www.notpopular.com/blog/comments.php?blogID=63

iDM
Dec 30, 2005, 10:25 AM
I have replaced the battery in my 3rd gen. The tools it came with were very sorry excuses for case openers so i had to use a knife which ended up chipping the casing a little bit. I can't speak on whether or not the new hard drive would work but if it is the right size(obviously) with the right connecters(obviously) I don't see how it could be much difficult then changing the battery. Let me just say things are very very very tight and delicate inside the case. I felt bad even breathing once i got the case off.

asphalt-proof
Dec 30, 2005, 11:46 AM
I have replaced the battery in my 3rd gen. The tools it came with were very sorry excuses for case openers so i had to use a knife which ended up chipping the casing a little bit. I can't speak on whether or not the new hard drive would work but if it is the right size(obviously) with the right connecters(obviously) I don't see how it could be much difficult then changing the battery. Let me just say things are very very very tight and delicate inside the case. I felt bad even breathing once i got the case off.

I just replaced the battery a week ago and didn't think to check the hard drive connector. I really don't want to crack it open again. Once was scary enough.

aquajet
Dec 30, 2005, 11:56 AM
I have replaced the battery in my 3rd gen. The tools it came with were very sorry excuses for case openers so i had to use a knife which ended up chipping the casing a little bit.

:D Indeed. That was the case with the Newer Technology battery kit I bought for mine a few months ago. I found that using the included plastic tools to open a crack large enough to fit a small jewler's screwdriver to separate the case worked well.