Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iDM

macrumors 6502a
I have replaced the battery in my 3rd gen. The tools it came with were very sorry excuses for case openers so i had to use a knife which ended up chipping the casing a little bit. I can't speak on whether or not the new hard drive would work but if it is the right size(obviously) with the right connecters(obviously) I don't see how it could be much difficult then changing the battery. Let me just say things are very very very tight and delicate inside the case. I felt bad even breathing once i got the case off.

asphalt-proof

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2003
Magrathea
iDM said:
I have replaced the battery in my 3rd gen. The tools it came with were very sorry excuses for case openers so i had to use a knife which ended up chipping the casing a little bit. I can't speak on whether or not the new hard drive would work but if it is the right size(obviously) with the right connecters(obviously) I don't see how it could be much difficult then changing the battery. Let me just say things are very very very tight and delicate inside the case. I felt bad even breathing once i got the case off.

I just replaced the battery a week ago and didn't think to check the hard drive connector. I really don't want to crack it open again. Once was scary enough.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
iDM said:
I have replaced the battery in my 3rd gen. The tools it came with were very sorry excuses for case openers so i had to use a knife which ended up chipping the casing a little bit.

:D Indeed. That was the case with the Newer Technology battery kit I bought for mine a few months ago. I found that using the included plastic tools to open a crack large enough to fit a small jewler's screwdriver to separate the case worked well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.