PDA

View Full Version : Do 5G Ipods come formatted in FAT32?

adk
Dec 30, 2005, 11:55 AM
I just plugged in my new 5G, and it said "optimizing for Mac OS X" and then it restarted the Ipod. Does this mean it actually had to reformat from FAT32 into HFS+ (or whatever mac ipods use)?

grapes911
Dec 30, 2005, 11:57 AM
I think it does the same thing when they are plugged into a Windows box. My guess would be that they come unformatted.

tinydragon123
Dec 30, 2005, 12:17 PM
I just plugged in my new 5G, and it said "optimizing for Mac OS X" and then it restarted the Ipod. Does this mean it actually had to reformat from FAT32 into HFS+ (or whatever mac ipods use)?

I believe Apple formats the iPod G5 as Windows so both Windows and Macs can read it. However, once you have connected it into a Mac for the first time, the iPod will be formatted as HFS+ and FAT32 if you have connected it into a Windows PC.

ignus graius
Dec 30, 2005, 02:38 PM
I'm a Windows user, and when I bought a 4G iPod a year ago the iPod updater reformatted the iPod from HFS to FAT32. I just recently purchased a 5G iPod and when I plugged it in I didn't have to reformat it.

wattage
Dec 30, 2005, 03:00 PM
Before I connected my 5G 60GB to my Mac, it was in windows format......not any more muhhahhha