Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushido

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
so this has been happing to me for at least 2 iPhone generation or so but it just happened again so I finally decides to ask ...

When I make a screenshot, crop that picture and safe it i can see the new resized picture just fine within the photo app but once i decide to import it into another picture app or decide to send the cropped image via iMessage it appears as it has never been cropped??? so weird

is this happening to anyone else?

1st cropped in the photo app:

5dkt2f.png

2nd shows up like this in iMessage:

wv7hfn.png

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
AFAIK, you only view the edits to photos on the device where the edit was made. The original photo is preserved intact even though you can't see it that way and that's what gets exported.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
AFAIK, you only view the edits to photos on the device where the edit was made. The original photo is preserved intact even though you can't see it that way and that's what gets exported.
I might be recalling it incorrectly now, but I'm pretty sure I've cropped some photos and then uploaded them to other services, like Facebook or Instagram, for example, and it would be the cropped version that would get used there, not the full one (which is, as you described, still on the device).

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
I might be recalling it incorrectly now, but I'm pretty sure I've cropped some photos and then uploaded them to other services, like Facebook or Instagram, for example, and it would be the cropped version that would get used there, not the full one (which is, as you described, still on the device).

Perhaps FB or Instagram are cropping/resizing during their process? IDK because I don't bother with those.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Perhaps FB or Instagram are cropping/resizing during their process? IDK because I don't bother with those.
It's possible, but they seem to simply use the same cropped version that I created by editing the photo in the Photos app.

bushido

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
It's possible, but they seem to simply use the same cropped version that I created by editing the photo in the Photos app.

just checked. it does indeed work on facebool but not other apps. how weird

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
just checked. it does indeed work on facebool but not other apps. how weird
Odd. I just tried it with a cropped photo in Messages, and it actually picked up just the cropped part and sent that (and not the whole photo).

bushido

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Odd. I just tried it with a cropped photo in Messages, and it actually picked up just the cropped part and sent that (and not the whole photo).

did u try it with a taken picture or a screenshot?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.